Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Hypothyroid And Celiac Link

7 posts in this topic

Before my appointment Friday I need to be prepared and most of my celiac questions have been answered .I have a few questions on hypothyroid which apparently after reading seems common in celiacs.I myself have been suffering some extremely evident symptoms of hypothyroid(and found out my grandfather/ uncle/aunt) have it on my moms side. I needed to hear from ppl who have this to see if the following symptoms relate: my body temp is always below 97.7 ,cold hands and feet, tired a lot, muscle pain and tension in legs,inner thigh,back,shoulders (not fibro tender points ), swelling of neck/throat like restriction,waking up anxious in the middle of the night.My muscles feel like burning Sometimes. At the same time ill ask for all my vitamin deficiency lab reports that they did,and the free t-4 check they did. I heard hypothyroid is a bugger to diagnose and like 8/10 are told they aren't when in fact they are?

Ads by Google:

Even on thyroid medication my body temp is still 97.7, but at least I don't shiver uncontrollably when I get into bed on a summer's night :) Leg tension, muscle pain, cold hands and feet, been there, done that. You have some that I don't have. If you feel a constriction in the neck it is possible you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Good luck with your appointment on Friday.

Laboratory tests to determine thyroid function include:

Free t4 is the one thing that came out low on me which indicates hypothyroid. TSH always normal. I am still a newbie like you are in this whole scheme of health issues. But like Mushroom suggests, get ALL necessary blood work done. Thyroid issues are VERY hard to discover and I have heard even borderline results can give symptoms. I had weight gain and still have fatigue and free t4 was borderline normal one test and then low the next test so I am considered hypo but am not seeking treatment as the synthroid made me feel like I was on speed. Good Luck and please let us know how it all turns out.

Like jen said, borderline (subclinical) hypothyroidism is hard to detect for doctors to admit that it's there. I was hypo for well over a decade but I didn't request my lab results or educate myself, so I was just taking my doctor's word for it that i was normal... and most doctors live and die by that TSH test, which is a pituitary hormone anyway! :rolleyes:

Make sure you request the tests that 'Shroom mentioned. Your TSH should be near a 1, Free T4 and FT3 should be at about 50-80% of the normal reference range, and TPO Ab should be almost nonexistant.

My symptoms are similar to yours: body temp only breaks 97F a few days a month, fatigued, pain (but mine is not in the muscles, it's in the joints), I tend to get a slightly sore "throat" when my thyroid is acting up but it's not common for me, I've become more hoarse, I don't get muscle burning but I will get cramps or occassionally thie really odd sensation in a limb like my leg is dying off (it's an odd one). My hair has also thinned considerably and I get acne. Constipation is also an issue.

Many of my hypo symptoms overlap with my celiac symptoms so it gets tricky telling what causes which symptom.

Good luck with the doctor.

Hi,

About 2 years ago I was dx'd with Hypothyroid. And after doing some research I am finding that it can be linked with Celiac disease. My symptoms were a low temp, cold extremeties, hair falling out, eyebrows thinning, very tired and sluggish but I didn't gain any weight - been losing it instead. Also I was deficient in Vitamin B12, D & Iron. And my voice went horse sometimes. Last blood results came back that my thyroid is where it should be and I take Levothyroxine 0.075 MGs every day on an empty stomach. Now I am dealing with Celiac symptoms. Interested in finding out more on how it relates to Hypothyroid. Good luck at your dr!

Unfortunately my thyroid was ok :( leaving me in the dark still but I'm not touching gluten for at least 3 months

Tiredsean, I'd be interested to see the actual numbers from your thyroid testing. You're correct in your original post that many doctors will tell their patients that their thyroid levels are fine when they in fact mean that the levels fell on that particular day of testing within the lab's generous "normal" range. Diagnostically, you're 'fine.' The doctor's job is to make sure you don't keel over on his/her watch, whereas we as patients tend to also care about our quality of life. So if your numbers are on the high or low side of the spectrum, you can still feel like crap even though the doctor may consider the matter closed. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in the late '90s, and I have had to educate so many of my doctors about this issue, it's pretty sad. The lower body temp, cold extremities and constant fatigue are classic symptoms, and I still deal with them even on medication.