Celiac.com 12/17/2014 - Along with turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing is the foundation of any great holiday feast. To my way of thinking, if there’s no stuffing, it’s just another meal.
Classic Gluten-free Holiday Stuffing
- 5-6 cups white, gluten-free bread (about 2 loaves), cut into one-inch cubes, toasted and cooled (I use Udi’s or Rudi’s)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 large or 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1-1½ cups gluten-free chicken broth
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
Add bits of cooked sausage or bacon, diced chestnut, pecan, apple, cranberry, currant, or raisin, as desired, but make sure any sausage is gluten-free!
Sauté shallots, onion and celery in olive oil on medium-low heat until translucent.
Stir in the rosemary, sage, and thyme, and cook another one or two minutes, until the aroma of the herbs fills the air. Add wine and continue cooking over medium heat until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Bring the chicken stock to boil on high heat. Note: If cooking stuffing inside turkey, add just 1 cup of chicken broth.
Place the egg yolk in a large bowl and carefully spoon two or three ounces of the chicken stock into the egg yolk, slowly, while whisking the mixture.
Add the rest of the chicken stock to the egg mixture. Make sure to blend a small amount of stock into the egg first to prevent scrambled eggs.
Add the cooled celery, onion, and herbs mixture into the stock and egg mixture. Toss the bread cubes into this mixture and coat thoroughly. Add the salt and pepper and mix.
Place the stuffing mixture into a greased casserole dish and cook in 400°F oven for 40-50 min, covering as needed with aluminum foil, until done.
Note: The stuffing is done when you can insert a toothpick into the stuffing and it comes out clean. Make sure you bake stuffing until the toothpick comes out clean.
Serves about six to eight people. Scale recipe according to amount of stuffing required.
PLUS: Here are Nine More Recipes for Great Gluten-free Stuffing:
- Brown and Wild Rice Savory Mushroom Stuffing
- Rice Stuffing with Apples, Herbs, and Bacon
- Best Gluten-free Holiday Stuffing Recipe
- Chestnut, Wild Rice, and Pistachio Dressing
- Gluten-free Bread Stuffing with Herbs
- Gluten Free Holiday Stuffing
- Whole Foods Market Classic Gluten-free Stuffing
- Food Network Classic Gluten-free Stuffing
- Rudi’s Bakery Gluten-free Stuffing Mix