Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gilligan

Gluten Free Kitchen In The Making

My husband decided it would be easier and safer for me if he went "gluten free" with me.  So far, he says he has enjoyed everything I/we have prepared.  I know I have to toss wood and rubber utensils and the toaster.  What about plastic storage containers, cast iron skillets, freezer containers, and mixing bowls.  It is necessary to get rid of those, also?  I know I can recondition my cast iron skillets if its necessary.  I'm very new to this and trying hard to do it right!

I would scrub up the plastic containers and use them. We are almost going to do the same here. I am scrubbing up everything .. I am using our wooden spoons, I scrubbed them very good!! I am using our plastic bowls, scrubbing them up very good. I am using everything I did before just really really scrubbed them up like they had the plaque ... I have not had a problem. There is still Gluten in my house. I will cook the rest of it up and  feed it to hubbs , I will replace it with Gluten free stuff. I am using the same Cast Iron Skillets I had before I have never re done them. I just use them for my Gluten Free stuff now. I have not had a problem. 

Here are some good tips:

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/theglutenfreediet/tp/GlutenFreeKitchenItems.htm

This second link also contains other links about a gluten free kitchen or sharing one with gluten eaters.

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/theglutenfreediet/u/TreatmentPath.htm

I would strongly recommend putting your cast iron in the clean cycle of your oven and then re-seasoning them.  I bought a bunch of new Gladware or ZipLock containers and tossed my old tupperware.  I took the advice on this forum and Jane Anderson's recommendations on about.com.

I am super-sensitive and am not sure if everyone needs to do this, but it seemed to help me.    Make sure to wash well or replace potholders.  I also needed my family to dispose of some cook books which had been doused with years of flour incidents.   We copied the recipes that we could not do without and collected new recipes.

I don't think potholders were ever mentioned before!

D

I am super-sensitive and am not sure if everyone needs to do this, but it seemed to help me.    Make sure to wash well or replace potholders.  I also needed my family to dispose of some cook books which had been doused with years of flour incidents.   We copied the recipes that we could not do without and collected new recipes.

I don't think potholders were ever mentioned before!

D

I liked your comment about the potholders.  I've always washed mine weekly or tossed them into the laundry if I got food on them.  Not everyone does this.  

I not only wash them, after they get a certain "LOOK" to them I pitch them out! I hate nasty looking pot holders! :) 

I can't quite agree with scrubbing and reusing wooden spoons.  Honestly, I would toss and get new.  The same with plastic containers.  They get scratched and uggy.  It's just for peace of mind if nothing else.