emsimms

Xanthan Gum: Where Does It Come From?

Rate this topic

I am wondering if Xanthan Gum I safe for people with corn and soy intolerance? I assumed it was but just read that it is derived from either corn, wheat or soy.

Is it safer to use Guar Gum instead for gluten-free baking?

Thanks so much!
I have also just received this response from Bob's Red Mill about their Xanthan Gum:

The microorganism that produces it for their product is fed glucose from wheat starch. However, they guarantee their product to be gluten-free regardless.

Emsimms, I have a severe corn intolerance. I can't eat anything out of a can because a lot of companies make the plastic lining in cans out of corn protein. I can handle corn STARCH because there is no protein in it, but that corn plastic gives me a bad reaction. If you've been eating out of cans with no problem it could be the brands you use still use the old plastic made with BPA's that mimic hormones (that's why they are doing away with it.) Either that or your corn intolerance isn't bad. If you want to test it, get yourself an individual serving of Dasani water in the bottle with "plant dervied plastic". That's the one that made me sick. If that doesn't make you sick, the cans should be OK for you too.