Rate this topic

Hello!

Last week, my gastroenterologist confirmed from my blood tests that I have Celiac Disease. He said my blood tests showed "over 100" (not sure at all what that means) and that I have to get a biopsy done. He told me to start going gluten-free, but my biopsy isn't for a few weeks and everything that I've read online says to keep eating gluten before a biopsy. Did anyone else go gluten-free before their biopsy?

I would ask him "If you are diagnosing me with Celiac now, why are we doing the biopsy?"  Because you should never go gluten-free before the endo.  It only takes 5-10 day for minor villa damage to heal.  If he misses the damage, will he say you don't have Celiac?  I had blood work over 100 but chose to do the biopsy for a couple of reasons - I wanted to see how bad the damage was and if there was anything else going on.  I used the time for a "last Hurrah" and ate all the gluteny things or restaurants that I wouldn't be able to eat at again.

Your doctor is wrong. You need to continue eating gluten until the endoscopy!

Yes, there have been people who were told the same thing as you & so they quit eating gluten & then they had the endoscopy & it was negative and then they were in a real pickle because the doctor told them wrong.

Are you scheduled for a biopsy? Are you eating gluten?

Any changes in your diet can affect the accuracy of your biopsy results. You must be eating gluten every day, in an amount equivalent to at least 1 slice of bread, for at least 2 to 3 weeks before the procedure. If you are scheduled for a biopsy and are not eating gluten, talk to your doctor about what is necessary to obtain accurate results. If you have eaten gluten only a short time before the biopsy, you and your physician will not know if a negative test result is accurate or due to your diet.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/diagnosis/

My doctor required me to continue eating gluten before the endoscopy for biopsy. She did say I could let up "a little" to ease some of the terrible pain I was having, but wanted me to eat gluten-containing foods every day until the biopsy. As it turned out, they were able to get me in quickly, so it was really only a few days for me. Both bloodwork and biopsy confirmed the diagnosis and now I am happily gluten-free! It has been a challenge, but having a gluten-free kitchen, checking labels on foods and being super-careful when going out has worked wonders. I am not 100% recovered yet, but getting energy back a bit at a time as my nutrition status improves. We don't eat out much - mostly at vegan places that declare they are gluten-free (although I still eat chicken, eggs, milk, and beef sometimes at home). One day, I'll go somewhere else - but not without checking first!

Best of luck to you. I think it important to always double-check with the doctor when there are any questions at all. My doctor welcomes questions and I hope yours will too.