Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
MonaDan

Kissing and gluten

Rate this topic

Hi guys.

I know this is a topic that has come up before, but I'd appreciate a little bit of advice.

I've been 'courting' a guy for the past few months; nothing has happened yet but we have a proper date in a few weeks which is likely to lead to kissing.

He didn't even know what a ceoliac was until a few days ago; I don't think he'd caught the hints that I'd been dropping beforehand. English isn't his first language - he's east Asian. Anyway, I've heard about being potentially glutened via a kiss. How do I broach this? I don't want to scare him off or make him think that I'm a lot of hard work; I know, I know, he's going to have to accept me as I am, etc. but for someone new to the entire thing, it is likely overwhelming. It would be for me if I'd never heard of it!

Do I laughingly bring it up beforehand? We aren't going for food so if he isn't eating, just having a cup of tea, will I still need to be careful? If this seems safe, do I just let him kiss me and then bring up afterwards that any future kisses after food will have different precautions? 

It all feels so clinical!

He's a lovely guy so I do think he'll be understanding, but if anyone has any advice of first hand experience on how to approach the topic without it being a weird moment, that would be great.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

This is a really good question. I've wondered it myself, and have actually avoided dating because people just don't understand why I can't take them out to a restaurant. I also worry about getting glutened from kissing someone who'd eaten non-gluten-free food.

I have gotten glutened from kissing - my husband after he had eaten pizza and I'm sure some crust dust was still on his lips.  That said, I doubt if he's just had tea that you would have a risk. Maybe see if you can get him to drink some water, too, just because he's likely to drink a higher volume of that.  You could 'accidentally' spill a glass of water at his face to rinse the lips off ;-)