Motmot

Nicaraguan beer : Is "Tona Lager"gluten-free?

Rate this topic

Could you give me some advice please?. There is a great tasting beer (tasted well prior to Coelic diagnosis several years ago!) here in Nicaragua called "Tona Cerveza" - a Lager beer. Its the #1 selling beer in these parts. According to the brewers, quote:  "Tona is brewed following strict quality standards, using the finest North American and European malts and hops, certified by world renowned laboratories (Siebel Institute of Technology, Chicago and Brautechnische Pruf-und Versuchsanstalt, Munich-Weihenstephan)"

Would this beer possibly qualify as gluten-free, as wheat does not appear to be part of the manufacturing process? Does the 'European malts' in the ingredients mean that wheat may well be an ingredient? I may be missing something really important here?  Thank you.

Anytime you see the word malt it means barley was used to make the malt & barley is NOT allowed!

29 minutes ago, Motmot said:

Could you give me some advice please?. There is a great tasting beer (tasted well prior to Coelic diagnosis several years ago!) here in Nicaragua called "Tona Cerveza" - a Lager beer. Its the #1 selling beer in these parts. According to the brewers, quote:  "Tona is brewed following strict quality standards, using the finest North American and European malts and hops, certified by world renowned laboratories (Siebel Institute of Technology, Chicago and Brautechnische Pruf-und Versuchsanstalt, Munich-Weihenstephan)"

Would this beer possibly qualify as gluten-free, as wheat does not appear to be part of the manufacturing process? Does the 'European malts' in the ingredients mean that wheat may well be an ingredient? I may be missing something really important here?  Thank you.

Beer is never gluten free unless it is specially made with gluten free grains.  Malt/ barley is not gluten free.  

Perhaps you should do a little reading about Celiac disease from reputable sources, like the University of Chicago Celiac Center?  It sounds like you might not have a good understanding of gluten and Celiac.

So what that gave you was the official answer, the unofficial one is more complicated. Some barley base beers do test below 20 ppm, which might make them safe for some people. In the USA they can't officially be labelled "gluten-free," but this fact alone does not make them unsafe.

I've attached an interesting article on this topic which shows test results for different barley based beers. Unfortunately they do not reveal the brands.

Gluten_free_Barley_beers.pdf

Motmot,

.    I just found your post because I was searching for the ingredients of Tona beer.  The reason, I was diagnosed with celiac disease this year, but last year I drank quite a bit of Tona.  Last year, other beers made me feel really bad, even one or two.  But not Tona, I drank many in a row and felt fine.  It would be interesting to find out their ingredients.  I'm guessing it has very little or no gluten.

I thought about Tona, because the best I felt last year was when I was in Costa Rica or Nicaragua.  I think it is the fresh meals with no processing.  And lack of wheat in their diets.