• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Daphne do

Hidden valley ranch

Rate this topic

So yesterday every thing I ate was certified gluten free except hidden valley ranch I had chicken nuggets so I had more ranch than just like on a salad I had ranch before on a salad but didn't notice it bothering me last night my stomach pain was do bad it woke me up couldn't sleep cause of kept coming back I've felt this before it's the worst like tearing ripping stabbing pain it last for a minute or two then stops and a couple minutes late it hurts again did any one else noticed problems with hidden valley ranch I feel awful I keep doing this to my self my depression is over board right now I'm not going to eat the ranch any more 

I have eaten it and never had a problem with it.  

Exactly when did you think you last had a gluten exposure?  Once triggered, your antibodies can ramp up and can last for weeks or even months.   For example, when I have had a gluten exposure, I become lactose intolerant for a month or so.  Actually, it can hurt to digest ANYTHING for me.  It is one reason that when I  have been glutened, I make a pot of mushy stew or chicken soup and eat that for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  As soon as food hits my small intestine, it is so painful.  

The ranch might have too much dairy for you right now if your celiac disease is flaring.   My gluten-free hubby eats it without issues, but I can not tolerate garlic and onions, so I do not eat ranch dressing or dip.  

I second Cylcinglady, lactose intolerance is very common with this disease, you should remove all dairy for a few months. 
What brand chicken nuggets did you have? Did you make your own unbreaded and plain? Could it be an intolerance to another ingredient, after exposure to gluten we often develop a new food intolerance or sensitivity? 

On a personal note, I use Primal Kitchen Ranch which is dairy free, soy free, gluten free, grain free. They even have a Vegan Version.  I also sometimes go light and use Big Axe Spice Farmstead Seasoning which is like ranch in a shaker.

You should probably stick to a soft mushy diet for while til you heal a bit more, go easy on the carbs to avoid gas. 

48 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

I second Cylcinglady, lactose intolerance is very common with this disease, you should remove all dairy for a few months. 
What brand chicken nuggets did you have? Did you make your own unbreaded and plain? Could it be an intolerance to another ingredient, after exposure to gluten we often develop a new food intolerance or sensitivity? 

On a personal note, I use Primal Kitchen Ranch which is dairy free, soy free, gluten free, grain free. They even have a Vegan Version.  I also sometimes go light and use Big Axe Spice Farmstead Seasoning which is like ranch in a shaker.

You should probably stick to a soft mushy diet for while til you heal a bit more, go easy on the carbs to avoid gas. 

I had golden platter all natural gluten free buffalo bites they say certified gluten free  thanks for replying and helping I'm loosing my mind over this think I'm just not gonna eat for two days I read somewhere that would help I'm so upset I don't even know for sure what I got that had gluten I have tried to be so careful i thougt I was 

I bet you are doing a great job.  It might be that your GI tract is inflamed.  Just stick to simple foods that have less than five ingredients.  Better with just one ingredient.   Eat easy things like plain chicken, veggies and fruit.  Avoid processed foods until you see some progress.  It is just as easy to bake chicken as it is to bake chicken nuggets.  Avoid dairy, but when you see progress, add in yogurt or hard cheese as these contain less lactose.  

For lunch, I had a hamburger patty with cheese, fresh green beans and 1/2 banana.  Keep it simple.  

Also try to avoid grains in general just until you see improvement.    The gluten free watchdog reported that gluten-free products containing oats were the worst offenders in not meeting the 20 ppm standard.  

Again, just short term fixes until you feel better.  

Hang in there!  

My husband eats the Cucumber Ranch all the time & has no problem with it.

I agree with the others, keep it simple until you start feeling better. No processed foods at all & ditch the grains for now. Just fresh meats, fruits & veggies.

Ok I know I've been asking alot but I bought that gluten free watch dog signed in downloaded some reports man I not really word smart I don't know how else to put it I have no idea what the reports are saying I read it over and over is there like some kind of explanation of how to understand what it says ? Thanks for talking the time to help me I am taking all of your advice only veggies fruits meat till I feel better 

If the test report summary says “The sample tested below the lower limit of quantification for the assay used of 5 parts per million of gluten” that’s good! It means the test could not detect any gluten. There might be a teeny, teeny, tiny amount so small that the test could not detect it but it probably is truly gluten free.  If there were 1 or 2 parts per million it would be very unusual for such a tiny amount to hurt someone with celiac. The complete test reports may list Extraction 1 and Extraction 2, again if those are <5ppm (which means less than 5 parts per million) that is good.  

Hope this helps, if not just let me know what needs more explanation.

1 hour ago, Daphne do said:

Ok I know I've been asking alot but I bought that gluten free watch dog signed in downloaded some reports man I not really word smart I don't know how else to put it I have no idea what the reports are saying I read it over and over is there like some kind of explanation of how to understand what it says ? Thanks for talking the time to help me I am taking all of your advice only veggies fruits meat till I feel better 

They tell you what was tested - skip how it was tested - just know it was tested correctly.  At the end it willl tell you it tested less than 5 PPM .  And that is great!  Or, the few things that test as containing gluten , are usually share with the public