This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Extreme anxiety

Crispy chick

Crispy chick Explorer

Hi. I am day 11 gluten-free. Been having some odd withdrawals. Been fed up, off my food and low. But now I have intense anxiety. I'm shaky, feel awful and nauseous. Dizzy. 

Anyone else experience extreme anxiety giving up gluten??? I just need to hear from others who have gone through it. 

Thanks in advance x

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
11 minutes ago, Crispy chick said:

Hi. I am day 11 gluten-free. Been having some odd withdrawals. Been fed up, off my food and low. But now I have intense anxiety. I'm shaky, feel awful and nauseous. Dizzy. 

Anyone else experience extreme anxiety giving up gluten??? I just need to hear from others who have gone through it. 

Thanks in advance x

Yeah, it was worse around those times. I still have some issues to this day but use a solid regime I built to my needs. 
B-vitamin complex, neurological support, from Liquid Health, Magnesium Calm or Magnesium Glycinate twice a day, I also take Hemp Paste to deal with extreme depression and bad thoughts.

healthysquirrel Enthusiast

Sorry you are feeling badly Crispy Chick. I have been taking high dose cbd oil  and it helps so much. Not sure it is legal where you are though. If you can, try meditating. If not, breathing exercises help a lot. I still have anxiety, but what you describe sounds like gluten withdrawal. Hope you feel better soon! 

• 2 weeks later...
ch88 Collaborator

There are  a number of people on this forum who have experienced gluten withdrawal symptoms.  

Make sure you are avoiding cross contamination. I would do a whole foods based diet,  with just fruit and vegetables (excluding nightshades). That may help speed up the healing and reduce inflammation. You could rotate your foods to see if there is a problematic food that you are still eating.

pikakegirl Enthusiast

Yes. I had no after care after diagnosis. Mine stopped when I had a vitami  panel done and found my folic acid crashed as well as D3, B2 K2. Others to check are B12, B6, Magnesium. Processed foods have lots of vitamins added and a sudden lack while the GI is still damaged can cause havoc. Also check your genetic marker for MGHFR if your folic acid is low. No amount will help and it can hurt. I found I have to take 3000mg L-methyfolate daily because my body won't convert folic acid. Some other vitamins come in the converted form to help absorption too like B6 as PDP. I also found side effects afrom medications for panic/anxiety made it harder for my brain to handle pain and caused more anxiety and less natural endorphins to be produced. Instead I made a flashcard with ways to get through panic attacks with 10 different exercises. They helped until my GI and vitamins balanced me. As my GI healed they subsided and are gone.

• 4 months later...
Glutendha Rookie
On 4/27/2019 at 12:39 PM, pikakegirl said:

Yes. I had no after care after diagnosis. Mine stopped when I had a vitami  panel done and found my folic acid crashed as well as D3, B2 K2. Others to check are B12, B6, Magnesium. Processed foods have lots of vitamins added and a sudden lack while the GI is still damaged can cause havoc. Also check your genetic marker for MGHFR if your folic acid is low. No amount will help and it can hurt. I found I have to take 3000mg L-methyfolate daily because my body won't convert folic acid. Some other vitamins come in the converted form to help absorption too like B6 as PDP. I also found side effects afrom medications for panic/anxiety made it harder for my brain to handle pain and caused more anxiety and less natural endorphins to be produced. Instead I made a flashcard with ways to get through panic attacks with 10 different exercises. They helped until my GI and vitamins balanced me. As my GI healed they subsided and are gone.

I am not officially diagnosed. Lot of GI, neurological issues and figured it might be gluten . It's been only 2 weeks gluten free. I am having lot of anxiety. Can you please kindly share the exercises that helped you. 

pikakegirl Enthusiast

Glutenda. I also have Hypothyroid from Hashimoto's and advise everyone with anxiety/panic to have thier thyroid checked. Here are the 10 exercises for stopping a panic attack.

1. Breathing technique. Breathe in through nose down to stomach ( not chest) at count of 8. Hold for 8. Out through mouth slow for 8. Repeat and lengthen count if you can.

2. Focus on a mechanical object or complex object and take it apart piece by piece in your mind. Or ask yourself lots of questions about its function.

3. Repeat a movie, song, periodic chart or long list in your mind. I love the 50 states song I learned when I was a child.

4. Make yourself cry, scream into a pillow or start a very long monologue outloud.

5. Hug yourself and ask "What if the worst that can happen" and go over how you will work through that. Remind yourself this feeling is adrenaline and I  5 to 10 mins it will flush out of your bloodstream.

6. Exercise or do a physical task.

7. Change your environment. I go outside in the yard or go take a hot shower.

8. Turn on loud music and dance.

9. Get mad. I get mad at my PTSD and adrenal system for betraying me and making me feel weak. You can't be mad and afraid/panicked at the same time. I read this.

10. Call a friend/family member. Let them know to distract you with anything that gets you outside yourself.

For years I took valium and saw psyc with no help. I found these I in books. I had to try all 10 sometimes before it stopped. But now I don't have them maybe because subconsciously I know I can stop them?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Laurie61 Newbie
On 4/15/2019 at 11:33 AM, Crispy chick said:

Thanks in advance x

Maybe. It wasn't right away, it was about 1.5 years after I developed extreme anxiety, nausia, etc.  Mine responded to a medication with HCl in it- it had identical HCl content to an otc antihistamine so over the years since, and during a time I stupidly disregarded my diet, I've taken it for a 1-2 days and get better. So many things have wheat that I just don't eat out or buy prepared food anymore. Histamine elevated is immune reaction, like an allergy, gives the fight or flight response maybe to cue the brain into getting away from the allergen.

Laurie61 Newbie
On 9/1/2019 at 1:16 PM, pikakegirl said:

Glutenda. I also have Hypothyroid from Hashimoto's and advise everyone with anxiety/panic to have thier thyroid checked. Here are the 10 exercises for stopping a panic attack.

1. Breathing technique. Breathe in through nose down to stomach ( not chest) at count of 8. Hold for 8. Out through mouth slow for 8. Repeat and lengthen count if you can.

2. Focus on a mechanical object or complex object and take it apart piece by piece in your mind. Or ask yourself lots of questions about its function.

3. Repeat a movie, song, periodic chart or long list in your mind. I love the 50 states song I learned when I was a child.

4. Make yourself cry, scream into a pillow or start a very long monologue outloud.

5. Hug yourself and ask "What if the worst that can happen" and go over how you will work through that. Remind yourself this feeling is adrenaline and I  5 to 10 mins it will flush out of your bloodstream.

6. Exercise or do a physical task.

7. Change your environment. I go outside in the yard or go take a hot shower.

8. Turn on loud music and dance.

9. Get mad. I get mad at my PTSD and adrenal system for betraying me and making me feel weak. You can't be mad and afraid/panicked at the same time. I read this.

10. Call a friend/family member. Let them know to distract you with anything that gets you outside yourself.

For years I took valium and saw psyc with no help. I found these I in books. I had to try all 10 sometimes before it stopped. But now I don't have them maybe because subconsciously I know I can stop them?

interesting that you are also hypothyroid.  For various reasons I don't go to doctors, anymore. I've been doing slow heavy metal detox. But right after gluten-free, I lost hair, my outer eyebrow, body hair and after a decade or so my personality changed. Recently, I had no energy, plus noticed a thicker neck. I'd read iodine helped with detoxing so I was curious as to why I'd could be depleted. I had eliminated all supplemented sources without realizing. I'd switched to sea salt - not iodized, could not tolerate gluten-free cereal or bread, milk cause me asthma, and due to fear of more heavy metal, I avoided fish.  Vitamins often made me feel worse, too. But, then came iodine. It right away made me feel alive again- but then I tapered off since too much is harmful, and iodized salt and fish are back in my diet. I didn't have a typical goiter appearance of hypothyroidism as would be expected. But,a month or so after I took the iodine and changed diet, I can see thyroid reduced enough to see wrinkles in the skin that were not there. As an added benefit, my tinnitus went away and I use that now to judge when my iodine level is low. Doctors typically do not test for iodine unless there is an epidemic of hypothyroidism, and then it is a public health thing to add it to the local food, like milk.

Edited by Laurie61
grammar correction