This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shampoo & Conditioner

Wisconsin woman

Wisconsin woman Newbie

I seem to still be having some gluten exposure after 2 years of painstaking change in diet. A PA suggested looking at shampoo and conditioner products.  Is that really scientifically proven to have impact?  I  use lovely botanical products, but the companies are not labelled gluten-free.  Is there any truth that this is a source of exposure?  I am not eating them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

There are more than a few forum contributors that will swear they have reactions to the external application of health and beauty aids containing gluten. I am not sure it has been scientifically proven or even really studied yet.

plumbago Experienced

I agree. Unless your use of definite gluten-containing products is excessive, I tend not to assign much blame to cosmetic products. What makes you think you are continuing to have exposures? Have you been eating out much? How do you respond to milk products?

Wisconsin woman Newbie
48 minutes ago, plumbago said:

I agree. Unless your use of definite gluten-containing products is excessive, I tend not to assign much blame to cosmetic products. What makes you think you are continuing to have exposures? Have you been eating out much? How do you respond to milk products?

one of my antibody numbers has not zeroed out yet. 2 of the three others have.  So deeper investigation of where I am being exposed.  I have no rashes nor GI symptoms.  

trents Grand Master

So you are asymptomatic?

Are you still eating out?

Are you using processed foods and if so are they just labeled "Gluten Free" or are they labeled "Certified Gluten Free?"

Edited by trents
plumbago Experienced
54 minutes ago, Wisconsin woman said:

one of my antibody numbers has not zeroed out yet. 2 of the three others have.  So deeper investigation of where I am being exposed.  I have no rashes nor GI symptoms.  

It was 10 years ago that I was initially tested. Of those tests (ttg-IgA; gliadin peptide IgG; and gliadin peptide IgA) none had a range of 0. At the time, for the tests I had, you should aim for less than 7 (I did not meet that mark). In addition, my D3 and B12 were low, so too ferritin (though that continues to be low now and again).

Edited by plumbago
cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, Wisconsin woman said:

It can take up to a year or longer for antibodies to resolve.  Just stay the course.  Do not get hung up on the numbers.  As long as they are not going up, you are fine!  

Know that  the antibodies tests were designed to help diagnose celiac disease and not really to monitor it.  But it is the non-evasive tool in the tool box, so doctors use it.  My DGP IgA was elevated the day of my repeat endoscopy (five years after diagnosis) which showed complete healing.  I kept thinking I had a gluten exposure.  I was wrong!  I was doing everything right.  

Use your shampoo and conditioner.  Do not wash you head up aside down which is what my curly-hair kid does to set her curls.   You can swallow shampoo then or maybe fall down in the shower.  😆So I buy her products that do not contain gluten ingredients.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wisconsin woman Newbie
41 minutes ago, trents said:

So you are asymptomatic?

Are you still eating out?

Are you using processed foods and if so are they just labeled "Gluten Free" or are they labeled "Certified Gluten Free?"

HA! Who eats out....Actually I am a very dedicated organic food, home cooked meals from scratch person.  I guess not always "certified gluten-free". I use the gluten-free scanner app to check products in the store. My store bought foods are chips, crackers, cereals, noodles, condiments, a few sauces.

AnonyousCda Contributor

I support going all gluten-free soaps and shampoo/conditioner. So basically shopping at organic grocery/nutritional stores ($$). 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Yes, I agree, since there are so many that are now labelled "gluten-free," why not just go with one that you can be sure won't cause you any issues?

moog8 Rookie
On 10/23/2020 at 12:44 AM, Wisconsin woman said:

I seem to still be having some gluten exposure after 2 years of painstaking change in diet. A PA suggested looking at shampoo and conditioner products.  Is that really scientifically proven to have impact?  I  use lovely botanical products, but the companies are not labelled gluten-free.  Is there any truth that this is a source of exposure?  I am not eating them.

Hi! I had a pretty sever reaction to a shampoo i bought recently. I noticed lots of old symptoms come back, i couldn't work out why I felt so ill as I hadn't eaten out or anything processed, iI don't eat any grains either so it was confusing. Then I saw it on my new shampoo....Wheat Germ. I didn't use it again after that and it took me maybe a week for all symptoms to go , but the acute ones went within a day or two. Most other products i use i either make self, i use olive oil infused with herbs for moisturiser, I use Weleda toothpaste etc...I hadn't really thought about shampoo in all these years, which is odd! without realising though I hadn't been using one containing gluten before that for a while, but looking back it could have been making me feel bad on a few different occasions in the pst ten years!!. 

moog8 Rookie
On 10/23/2020 at 12:44 AM, Wisconsin woman said:

Oh also, i'm using Rahua shampoo and conditioner- I read up about true gluten free shampoos- I avoid grain in products as well. Its really lovely, if expensive but I'm wiling to pay the price to be safe!

Wisconsin woman Newbie
5 hours ago, moog8 said:

Oh also, i'm using Rahua shampoo and conditioner- I read up about true gluten free shampoos- I avoid grain in products as well. Its really lovely, if expensive but I'm wiling to pay the price to be safe!

I have ordered a shampoo and conditioner (Desert Essence)  that are labeled gluten-free. Not too pricey. I contacted the company of my current shampoos and they responded that there are no gluten ingredients in their formulation but they are not certain that there aren't derivatives in the mix.  Whatever that means. This all makes me want to eat cookies....which are easy to bake gluten-free!.

moog8 Rookie
1 hour ago, Wisconsin woman said:

I have ordered a shampoo and conditioner (Desert Essence)  that are labeled gluten-free. Not too pricey. I contacted the company of my current shampoos and they responded that there are no gluten ingredients in their formulation but they are not certain that there aren't derivatives in the mix.  Whatever that means. This all makes me want to eat cookies....which are easy to bake gluten-free!.

the derivatives thing has been becoming clearer to me recently! I learnt that almost all vitamin C or ascorbic acid, in products is derived from Corn, a lot of the time GMO corn- I avoid corn as I react to it. I have to be careful of supplements too as a lot of "citrates" are corn derived and also the capsules contain derivatives of many things. Im glad you found a shampoo you can use! yes, cookies! I'm very thankful i can still eat cookies! If you ever want a nice chocolate cake recipe, check out the chocolate olive oil cake recipe online by nigella lawson, its SOO good.

lizza johnson Newbie
On 10/23/2020 at 5:14 AM, Wisconsin woman said:

That was the first thought in my mind when I first diagnosed with celiac.I chuckled and chuckled about "gluten-free shampoo." Then I used a sample bottle of shampoo I got from somewhere last week. And in awful itchy, painful scabs, the skin on my scalp broke out! They haven't healed all the way yet, my scalp still itches, and it drives me nuts! I'll never use random shampoo ever again. It seems like this horrible condition is progressing to the extent that I am disturbed by things that were okay before.