• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

So i decided to try taking acidophilus pills. i went and spent a decent amount of money on pills (gluten-free of course). well ive taken them for 2 days, and both time after i have taken them, my stomach has hurt SO bad. I decided yesterday to take them before bed, that way maybe i would just sleep through the stomachache. But no, i was wide awake all night with a weird stomachache and major gurgling gassy stuff moving around in my stomach. This morning i feel better, but does anyone have any idea why im getting like that after taking the pills? is this normal?

Hmmm...probiotics are really supposed to be good for you...however, I had one brand that I swear gave me burning D. I switched to another and notice no issues at all. Could you lower your dosage, try another brand or eat with a meal (if you aren't already...). Also--Did you make sure the supplement was free of allergens?

I have only tried probiotics once, Culturelle. I started out ok, but within about 4-5 days, I got the rumbling and not-quite-D that burned. I found out that it may disagree with people who are sensitive to dairy--since I am and otherwise strictly dairy free, I stopped taking them and felt better very quickly (a day or 2).

i just went to the store today and got a different kind that is FOR SURE dairy free. still had some major tummy gurgling after i took it also. i took some stuff to calm my stomach down, and i feel better. when i looked up acidophilus side effects, it says it can sometimes cause gas for a little while when you start it. so im hoping it goes away! i want to keep giving this a try, but its so uncomfortable!

Hi! Sorry you're not feeling well. My first week or so, I didn't feel too well taking them. I think they just needed to adjust to my stomach. Is there perhaps something in them you might be sensitive to?

Either way, feel better!

I take Bio-K (Dairy free), in case you are interested in trying another.

i still dont feel well from taking the new stuff earlier. i think i may have to just throw it all away. this is horrible. i cant eat, i feel soooo awful! i dont know what is wrong with me... but i REALLY hate this

Rache - If it is a pill, check for fillers... I was really sensitive to rice for awhile and was getting sick from my B vitamin and it had rice in it.