• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I can't tell if I have DH or Poison Ivy. I'm not allergic to PI so I don't get a severe case. Usually I get a mild rash and it clears up in about a week, and there is hardly any itching. I have raised bumps on the underside of my forearms that are just not clearing up. <_< Granted, I've been gardening every weekend, and there is PI near my garden, but generally this stuff doesn't bother me. It only itches occaisionally, like when I get out of the shower but otherwise it is dormant. So...what does DH look like???

Ehrin, here is a link to a site with good images. This link brings you to images of the arms, you can click on the other images to see other parts of the body affected by DH.

DH images

Hope this helps.

Thanks Ursula - god, that's what it looks like, but it's hardly as itchy as the description says it should be and I've been gluten-free for 6 months now, with no accidental glutenings in the past 3...I just looked at pictures of PI and it certainly doesn't look like that - it's not blisters by any means. Can you have DH and not be itchy???

Ehrin, here is a link to a site with good images. This link brings you to images of the arms, you can click on the other images to see other parts of the body affected by DH.

DH images

Hope this helps.

Ursula,

I have a rash on my arms that looks like the one on the guys chest. It doesn't look as bad as any of the others - and it gets redder & itchier after showering. I have been wheat-free since last summer, and the rash showed up after a couple months of consuming low-gluten stuff like spelt & kamut. As soon as I cut out all gluten (within a week) the rash calmed down, but is still mildly there, though rarely itches. The doc I went to see wouldn't test me for DH - gave me some blah-dee-blah about how I obvioulsy have dry skin (I've never had dry skin in my life - nor has anyone in my family). The cream the doc gave me just made it itch WAY worse. Anyway, I am seeing my normal doc this month, but I wanted to beg your wisdom...

Do you think what I have could be DH?

(Yes, I know you're not a doctor, which means that your opinion means 100x more to me)... :D

Ursula,

I have a rash on my arms that looks like the one on the guys chest. It doesn't look as bad as any of the others - and it gets redder & itchier after showering. I have been wheat-free since last summer, and the rash showed up after a couple months of consuming low-gluten stuff like spelt & kamut. As soon as I cut out all gluten (within a week) the rash calmed down, but is still mildly there, though rarely itches. The doc I went to see wouldn't test me for DH - gave me some blah-dee-blah about how I obvioulsy have dry skin (I've never had dry skin in my life - nor has anyone in my family). The cream the doc gave me just made it itch WAY worse. Anyway, I am seeing my normal doc this month, but I wanted to beg your wisdom...

Do you think what I have could be DH?

(Yes, I know you're not a doctor, which means that your opinion means 100x more to me)... :D

On second thought - now that I've scrolled down past the first picture under "arms" - it looked exactly like the bottom two. That is, before I went gluten-free & it began to go away... :ph34r: