This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Annalise Roberts' Coconut Cake

Fiddle-Faddle

Guest Robbin
:) I agree, the author should get the credit and money from the sale of the book, but like a previous poster said I hate to purchase another if the main ingredients were intolerances for my family and myself (have a LOT of cookbooks) Can you tell me if she uses a lot of cornstarch, soy flour, bean flour, or buttermilk? Thanks, and I really am going to order this if it is primarily rice.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AndreaB Contributor
:) I agree, the author should get the credit and money from the sale of the book, but like a previous poster said I hate to purchase another if the main ingredients were intolerances for my family and myself (have a LOT of cookbooks) Can you tell me if she uses a lot of cornstarch, soy flour, bean flour, or buttermilk? Thanks, and I really am going to order this if it is primarily rice.

She doesn't use cornstarch in her mix for the pastry type stuff; muffins, sweet breads, scones, cakes, pies, cookies and some breads. She uses a mix that calls for cornstarch in some of her bread recipes. She doesn't use soy flour and a bread mix with bean flour is optional. She lists three variations for the bread flour mix.

She does use buttermilk powder in some recipes and I think some buttermilk itself but most recipes call for regular milk. I would think the powder could be subbed for any "milk" powder and obviously milk can be subbed. She does use butter in a lot of recipes.

A good portion of her book used the mix with superfine brown rice flour by Authentic foods. Soy is present only in the recipes that call for chocolate (the soy lecithin in those products).

Guest Robbin
:) Thank you so much!! I will definitely get the book!!! Do you know of other powdered milk products? I haven't seen any powdered rice milk. That would be a great option --Anyone know of one?
AndreaB Contributor
:) Thank you so much!! I will definitely get the book!!! Do you know of other powdered milk products? I haven't seen any powdered rice milk. That would be a great option --Anyone know of one?

Better Than Milk sells a powdered rice milk.

Better Than Milk Enriched Vanilla Rice Powder

Ingredients:

Brown rice syrup solids (partially milled), tapioca maltodextrin, natural vanilla with other natural flavors, sea salt, carrageenan, titanium dioxide (a mineral for color), guar gum, xanthan gum. Daily Value Calories 74 ** Calories from fat 5 ** Fat, Total 0.5 g 1% Fat, Saturated 0.1 g 0% Fat, Polyunsaturated 0.3 g ** Fat, Monounsaturated 0.1 g ** Cholesterol 0 mg 0% Sodium 119 mg 5% Potassium 253 g 7% Carbohydrates, Total 11 g 3% Fiber, Dietary 0 g 0% Sugars 7 g ** Protein 6.25 g 13% Isoflavones 15 mg ** Vitamin A 10% Calcium 30% Vitamin D3 25% Vitamin B12 10% Vitamin C 10% Iron 2% ** Daily Value not established. † Percent Daily Values are Based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Better Than Milk provides 100% natural rice and soy powders, which you can mix to your preferred thickness and taste. Rice and Soy powders are also 100% Dairy Free, 100% Lactose Free, and Gluten Free. Made from Non-Genetically modified ingredients. This Vegan Beverage Mix makes 8 quarts of a great tasting beverage that is "Better Than Milk".

You can buy it online or if you pm me where you live I'll do some searching for an ABC store near you.

AndreaB Contributor

Open Original Shared Link

The above is the website that carries the milk if you want to order it online.

mamatide Enthusiast

You can check out some of her recipes and information on her website. I actually printed off a couple and tried them before buying the cookbook she wrote. I have yet to be disappointed by her recipes to be quite honest.

Good Luck all,

mamatide (ps the coconut cake isn't there but you should really try the submarine sandwich bread - that's what sold me. the consistency is stretchy and the taste is delicious.)

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
You can check out some of her recipes and information on her website. I actually printed off a couple and tried them before buying the cookbook she wrote. I have yet to be disappointed by her recipes to be quite honest.

Good Luck all,

mamatide (ps the coconut cake isn't there but you should really try the submarine sandwich bread - that's what sold me. the consistency is stretchy and the taste is delicious.)

I tried the submarine sandwich bread and it was a disaster. I popped it in the freezer and will use it for breadcrumbs. I followed the directions carefully. Maybe it was too hot/cold/humid/something that day. Should I try it again? Am I the only one who buggered it up?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Ms. Roberts emailed me today and, wow, is she being nice! Please read her letter below--and then go out and buy the cookbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Ms. Fujito,

Thank you so much for you kind words and encouragement. And thank you for

asking me for my permission. That isn't always done, and I appreciate it. I went

to the site and - WOW!- it looks like you have singlehandly stirred up quite a

following. As you probably know, I already have a long history of placing

recipes for free on my website. As a celiac, I know that good recipes are hard

to

come by and I always thought that if people tried just one of my recipes,

maybe they would buy my book when it comes out. Well, now that my book has been

published, I find that word of mouth and wonderful people like you are the best

advertising (which is good-because I have a tiny publisher and there is no ad

budget)!

So, yes, please post the recipe and spread the word (I copied it all below

for you). But I ask two things. One that you include the four mix instructions

because it is so critical for people understand that it is to be done a

specific way. And two, that you encourage people to buy the book if they like

the

cake. It is full of wonderful muffins, sweet breads, pie and tart crusts and

fillings, cakes, and cookies. I also included an amazing sandwich bread, a

French-Italian style bread, a submarine sandwich bread, a rustic flat bread,

biscuits

and pizza (the one that was written about in Gourmet Magazine in the November

2005 issue), all made from my two flour mixes. The recipes are designed for a

variety of baking skill levels, from experienced bakers interested in making

eclairs and cream puffs to beginners who want to try making gluten-free corn

muffins.

thank you for all your support. And let me know how you enjoy the other

recipes you try!

Best regards,

Annalise

Food Philosopher’s® Gluten-Free

COCONUT LAYER CAKE

Luscious coconut cakes. You see them proudly displayed in quaint cafes, the

long tables of church suppers and on the cover of food magazines. Many of us

have a favorite recipe, and this is mine. I created it years ago and it

converted beautifully to its new gluten-free form. I happily make it for my

coconut

loving friends whenever I can because I like it so much.

Makes two 8 or 9-inch rounds

0r 24 cupcakes

Recipe can be cut in half

2 cups granulated sugar

4 large eggs

2 1/2 cups brown rice flour mix

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon xanthan gum

1 cup Canola oil

1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (not low fat)

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 teaspoon coconut extract

Cooking spray

Coconut Frosting (below)

1/2 - 3/4 cup Sweetened shredded coconut (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Position rack in center of oven. Line two round

8-inch layer cake pans with parchment paper or waxed paper and spray lightly

with

cooking spray.

2. Beat sugar and eggs in large bowl of electric mixer at medium speed for

one minute. Add flour, salt, baking powder, xanthan gum, oil, coconut milk, and

vanilla and coconut extracts; beat at medium speed for one minute.

3. Pour batter into prepared pans. Place in center of oven and bake about 40

minutes (35 minutes for an 9-inch cake, 18-20 minutes for cupcakes) or until

center springs back to touch and cake has pulled away from sides of the pan.

4. Cool cake layers in the pans on a rack for 5 minutes. Use a small knife to

cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Invert cake layers onto a rack, peel off

parchment paper, and cool completely.

5. Place one cake layer on a platter. Spread 1 cup of frosting over top and

sides. Place second layer on top. Spread remaining frosting over entire cake.

Pat sweetened shredded coconut onto the sides of the cake. Serve slightly

chilled or at room temperature. Can be made a day ahead. Store frosted cake in

refrigerator. Unfrosted cake layers can be covered tightly with plastic wrap and

stored in refrigerator for 1 day. Unfrosted cake layers can be covered with

plastic wrap and then with foil, and stored in freezer for up to three weeks.

Best when eaten within three days of baking.

To make a four layer cake: chill unfrosted layers until very cold, or freeze

briefly. Slice horizontally across each layer.

COCONUT FROSTING

Makes 2 cups

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature

4 oz. low-fat cream cheese, at room temperature

3 cups confectioners sugar, sifted if lumpy

1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon coconut extract

1. Beat butter and cream cheese in large bowl of electric mixer until light

and fluffy.

2. Add powdered sugar, coconut milk, vanilla and coconut extracts and beat at

low speed until well blended and smooth,

„2005 by Annalise Roberts

Gluten-Free

BROWN RICE FLOUR MIX

Brown rice flour (extra finely ground) 2 parts 2 cups 6 cups

Potato starch (not potato flour) 2/3 part 2/3 cup 2 cups

Tapioca flour 1/3 part 1/3 cup 1 cup

It is very important that you use an extra finely ground brown rice flour,

(and not just any grind) or your baked goods will be gritty, heavy and/or

crumbly. Currently, Authentic Foods® in California (address, e-mail and phone

below) sells the only one I can find on the market other than in Asian grocery

stores. Authentic Foods® rice flour is powdery, just like all purpose wheat

flour.

The other brands are not powdery and it really does make a difference. If you

want or need to use another rice flour, try to find one with the finest grind

you can. You’ll have to buy several different brands, open the packages and

feel the flour. Use the smallest for cakes, muffins, cookies and pie crusts.

Use the larger grinds for pizza. Authentic Foods now also sells the brown rice

flour mix already premixed as the gluten-free Classic Blend.

The potato starch (not potato flour) and tapioca flour (also called tapioca

starch!) can be found in local natural food stores, some grocery stores and

online. The brands seem fairly interchangeable and are consistent in quality.

How to Measure and Mix Gluten-Free Flours

To measure flour for making flour mixes: Put the empty measuring cup into a

small bowl. Use a soup spoon to spoon the flour from the package into the

measuring cup, or pour the flour from the package into the measuring cup. Then

use

a knife or spoon handle to level the top (do this over the bowl to avoid a

messy clean up; pour the flour left in the bowl back into the package). Do not

scoop gluten-free flours out of the package with the measuring cup. Empty

measured flours into a plastic container large enough to leave four to five

inches

from top. Shake container vigorously to mix flours. I usually make 12 cups of

brown rice flour mix at a time and store and shake it in a 21 cup Rubbermaid®

container.

To measure flour for use in recipes: Shake container vigorously to mix and

aerate the flour mix. Put the empty measuring cup into a small bowl or hold it

over the opening of the container if it is large enough. Use soup spoon to

spoon flour from the container into the measuring cup, then use a knife or spoon

handle to level the top (if you do this over a bowl, pour the flour left in the

bowl back into the container). Do not scoop gluten-free flours out of the

container with the measuring cup. Remember shake and bake!

„2005 by Annalise Roberts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: foodph@foodphilosopher.com

Subject: delicious gluten-free coconut cake

Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 16:11:38 -0400

Dear Ms. Roberts,

I just wanted to thank you for your marvelous gluten-free coconut cake recipe . I bought your ccokbook just in time for my oldest son't birthday, and made the coconut cake, and it was the best cake I've ever made! My family of 5 demolished the entire thing in 2 days flat (we usually throw out dried-out birthday cake after 5 or 6 days), and everyone agreed it was the best cake we've ever had. (And I've only been off gluten since January!)

I raved about your coconut cake on www.glutenfreeforum.com, where several readers have already bought your Gluten-Free Baking Classics and have also sung your praises.

Only trouble is, everyone on that forum is now posting desperate requests for your recipe! I don't feel comfortable posting the recipe without your permission. I totally understand if you would prefer that I not post the recipe; I think they should all get your cookbook, anyway! But, if you do give me your permission, I would like to post it. We're all so tired of overpriced and dried-out pre-made gluten-free stuff.

I'm looking forward to trying more of your recipes--and I can't wait to see your next cookbook!

Sincerely, gratefully, and probably 5 pounds heavier,

Alison

queenofhearts Explorer

Wow, not only is she a genius, but also a sweetheart!!! Good for you for asking her permission, Fiddle-Faddle, & good for her for being so generous! I have her book & it is well worth the very reasonable price. Buy it, folks! We need to keep this lady in business!

Leah

AndreaB Contributor

I just made her lemon coconut muffins. I subbed orange peel for the lemon peel and they still turned out great! This cookbook has lots of great looking recipes and I can't wait to try them.

Buy the cookbook. It's well worth the price. Annalise Roberts answered my questions promptly also. To me, someone who takes the time to communicate with those who have bought the book or are contemplating it, is much to be appreciated.....ssssoooo buy the cookbook. ;) She does use butter in a lot of recipes so if you are soy and dairy allergic/intolerant and don't have a suitable substitute than that would be the only reason I would question getting it. Shortening could probably be subbed for butter though.

penguin Community Regular

Well, if I wasn't going to buy the book before, I definitely am now!!!! What a sweet lady! An author for the people! :)

mamatide Enthusiast
I tried the submarine sandwich bread and it was a disaster. I popped it in the freezer and will use it for breadcrumbs. I followed the directions carefully. Maybe it was too hot/cold/humid/something that day. Should I try it again? Am I the only one who buggered it up?

Hmmm - I'm probably not the best person to answer you. I am good in the kitchen but am a novice at gluten-free and breads in particular.

That said, the only thing that made this bread a disaster was when I didn't have the right temperature for rising. The oven is too hot. Room temperature is about right. Sitting on top of the clothes dryer (while it's running of course) is pretty good - actually I had the best luck that way.

I don't have a full sized pan so used french baguette pans and my pan is black so I had to reduce the baking time.

But the taste and texture were great. So I guess I'd encourage you to try it again. Even when I had the heat too high and the bread rose up and overflowed the pans I still baked what was left and ended up slicing the bread lengthwise (instead of into little slices) and put the long skinny crusts into the toaster. Definitely toast this bread.

When I had it turn out right, I made diagonal slices, laid them on a rack on top of a baking sheet and buttered them and toasted them in the oven to serve with bruchetta mix. The other half of the slices I spread with mashed feta cheese and melted them in a hot oven and they were really really good. I also used this bread to make garlic cheese bread (garlic butter and then mozza and cheddar cheese under the broiler).

The sandwich bread (which I believe you said you used to make hamburger buns?) makes a pretty good loaf as well but watch the rising location. I put a loaf under a light and I ended up with a hollow loaf! One big air bubble! When I tried it the second time, the loaf was great (but collapsed where I'd stuck in the instant read thermometer for some reason) and even the crust tasted good.

Cheers, and happy bread making,

mamatide

ps - which bread recipes do YOU use that work and satisfy the kids?

queenofhearts Explorer

One thing you can substitute for milk powder is almond meal. It's extremely tasty & adds to the protein balance much as milk does. But buttermilk also contains acids which can be important for rising &/or texture, so if you sub for that you should also add a bit of vinegar or other acidic ingredient. (A teaspoon or so per cup of milk or its equivalent.)

Leah

What, exactly, was the problem with it? I might be able to help analyze what caused it... I haven't made this particular bread but I've done a fair bit of bread experimentation.

Leah

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Thanks in advance for help with the bread. I didn't try it for hamburger buns, I was just wondering if it would work. I used the perforated french bread pan, and the dough (batter...whatever) didn't rise very high, but overflowed the edges of the pan. I guess I'm trying to say it rose enough to overflow the sides, and get all droopy, but didn't get high. It seemed to have a really peculiar taste, too. Can't put my finger on it. I didn't toast it. I'm the bread baker/tester here and then I try to convince my son to eat it since it would be convenient to pack sandwiches for a day on the go instead of trying to figure something else out.

queenofhearts Explorer

Hmmm... from your description my first suspicion would be that the batter was a little too thin.

I've found this is one of the challenges with Gluten-free batters, after having baked wheat & rye bread for many years, because with wheat doughs you can tell more from the feel of the dough when kneading, but Gluten-free doughs are softer in general to avoid dry results...

It's tough to have a precise bread recipe because flour does vary in moisture. If it has been kept in humid conditions it could well have absorbed a good deal of moisture.

As for the flavor, it could be that you just don't like millet-- have you used it in other recipes? There's a lot of it in that flour mix. It has a fairly assertive flavor, & like bean flour, some like it, some don't.

OR it could be that the yeast overproofed. When yeast rises too much before baking, it collapses in the oven & develops a bitter overtone. This could also explain the dough not rising high enough. You didn't by chance aqccidentally use Rapid Rise yeast, did you?

But the overflowing is what's making me think of too much liquid. UNLESS you weren't watching it rise & it actually rose & collapsed before you even checked. In warm weather, I always check way earlier than the recipe time, since it really affects the rising. One thing that seems to help my Gluten-free breads is to stop just short of doubling the dough on the rise. It seems that is pushing our luck with the less-structured batters, & they are prone to collapsing in the oven.

ANYWAY, my preference so far is for Bette Hagman's breads. I like more assertive, chewy, grainy breads mostly & A.R.'s seem more fluffy-oriented. Her sweets can't be beat, though!

Leah

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Try making it again. Maybe there was just a hiccup somewhere. This bread was the 1st time I ever tried to make bread, and I'd consider myself a near novice baker and it came out great. Like someone said, it might have had to do something with the temperature. I know Annalise is pretty specific about the temperature of the water you add. I got a little digital thermometer to ensure I was using the right temperature.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

All right, I guess I'll try it again. I used Fleischmann's quick rise instant yeast. I guess that's bad? I'll try again with a different kind. I think I'll wait until it's a bit cooler though. It's super hot here and I'd rather not have the oven on in this heat. I'll try on a rainy day.

jkmunchkin Rising Star
All right, I guess I'll try it again. I used Fleischmann's quick rise instant yeast. I guess that's bad? I'll try again with a different kind. I think I'll wait until it's a bit cooler though. It's super hot here and I'd rather not have the oven on in this heat. I'll try on a rainy day.

I think it specifies not to use quick rise yeast. I can double check later.

Green12 Enthusiast
Ms. Roberts emailed me today and, wow, is she being nice! Please read her letter below--and then go out and buy the cookbook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a wonderful response, and how nice of her to allow you to post the recipe. :)

mamatide Enthusiast

Well I'd say that's definitely your problem - use the traditional active dry yeast instead. You'll still have to watch this bread though because I've had it collapse on me before because I left it too long - heating the oven while it's rising is important too because once I didn't preheat the oven in time and while waiting for it to heat the bread was overflowing.

The bread rises slowly at first and then it comes to life and rises really really quickly so you have to stick around and keep an eye on it.

Good luck - hope it works out!

mamatide

Guhlia Rising Star

That is such a wonderful response. I went out and bought the book just to support her. What a sweet woman.

mamaw Community Regular

I agree Annalise Roberts is a great person. I too just bought the cookbook because there are so many excellent recipes in it. I ordered the french bread pan while I was at it!!!!

I do have a question is the french bread pan the baguette french bread pan from chicago metallic that everyone one is using? It makes or has three places for three baguettes. I just want to make sure I got the correct pan.

Fiddle- Faddle

I got the superfine brown rice flour at GE in Cranberry. I think it was around $10.19

Annalise is so right about the sugar content in buying ready made goodies, if you hadn't had sugar issues before gluten-free , you could develop them after going gluten-free!!!! I can't believe how much sugar is in some of the ready made goodies.

mamaw

AndreaB Contributor

Does anyone know where to find the baby loaf pans? 5 x 3 I think they are.

jkmunchkin Rising Star
I agree Annalise Roberts is a great person. I too just bought the cookbook because there are so many excellent recipes in it. I ordered the french bread pan while I was at it!!!!

I do have a question is the french bread pan the baguette french bread pan from chicago metallic that everyone one is using? It makes or has three places for three baguettes. I just want to make sure I got the correct pan.

Fiddle- Faddle

I got the superfine brown rice flour at GE in Cranberry. I think it was around $10.19

Annalise is so right about the sugar content in buying ready made goodies, if you hadn't had sugar issues before gluten-free , you could develop them after going gluten-free!!!! I can't believe how much sugar is in some of the ready made goodies.

mamaw

Yeah that is the pan I'm using; although mine only has 2 slots. But same brand and style.

Green12 Enthusiast
Does anyone know where to find the baby loaf pans? 5 x 3 I think they are.

I don't know Andrea if I have seen any that size out and about anywhere. I have a set of 5 from my mom's collection, she used to make tea cakes (I think that's what they called them in the 70s/80s?). I am trying to replace all of my baking stuff little by little in case there is wheat gluten reminants. I'll let you know if I find any.

Edit* I just found at Target.com a 6 in 1 mini loaf pan. Do you have Target in your neck of the woods??

Here is the link, they don't give the dimensions that I can find: Open Original Shared Link

Archived