This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Clam Cake Recipe

jannie

jannie Newbie

My mother was just diagnosed with celiac disease a few weeks ago and is just starting to learn about the disease. She has a terrible craving for clam cakes and has tried to make them with different flours she can have and they haven't tasted all that great. To be honest, they were horrible. I was just wondering if anyone out there has a recipe for clam cakes. This is a Rhode Island tradition around here so I really hope someone can help us.

Thanks,

Lauri

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Florida Jean

Can you give us a clue as to what goes into these clam cakes?

Is it like crab cakes where you use bread crumbs? If so, just

use gluten free bread and I always use these crumbs along with

corn meal to bread the crab cakes.

Jean

• 6 years later...
Dorikat Newbie

From a fellow celiac that seriously missed some down-home Rhode Island love...I don't know if you already found a recipe, but these have come out perfect for me, I can't even tell the difference from the real thing (and neither can my non-gluten-free friends!) Recipe for summer happiness:

Rhode Island Style CLAM CAKES (gluten free!)

1 cup white rice flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour/starch

1/2 cup corn starch

2 tablespoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon sugar

1 cup milk

3/4 cup clam juice

1 cup minced clams

Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir in clams. If batter is too thick, add milk. Drop into hot oil (375) by the tablespoon, they usually flip themselves. Remove from oil and drop on paper towels. Salt. Enjoy!

Wenmin Enthusiast

I have never had clam cakes but from the deep south have had many fish patties and crab patties. I am hoping that this recipe will help you.

We make these with seasonings (onions, bell peppers, shallots) one raw egg, potato flakes, salt, pepper and cooked crab meat or boiled fish. Mix well and shape into patties and coat outside with corn flour or rice flour. (I have an older friend who makes crab patties for me if I bring her the gluten free rice flour.)

Wenmin

• 11 months later...
leira Newbie

From a fellow celiac that seriously missed some down-home Rhode Island love...I don't know if you already found a recipe, but these have come out perfect for me, I can't even tell the difference from the real thing (and neither can my non-gluten-free friends!) Recipe for summer happiness:

I made these for some gluten-intolerant guests yesterday, and they were great. The batter was a bit thin, so I thickened it with some commercial gluten-free flour blend (otherwise I would have used more of the rice flour).

Outstanding! Thanks for the recipe!

[i may yet try to convert my grandmother's recipe, which calls for an egg but it's hard enough to follow with "a heaping teaspoon of this" and "a scoop of that"!]

I really ought to post my gluten-free brown bread recipe, which was a perfect addition.

• 2 weeks later...
Dorikat Newbie

Leira - I actually tend to use just a 1/2 cup of clam juice, and then adjust with flour (As you did) or more clam juice as necessary. Boy, do they hit the spot! :)

Archived