This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Walmart Great Value Brands

ilmotherof2

ilmotherof2 Apprentice

Have you noticed that on some Walmart Great Value brands they say "gluten free" under the ingredients? I have been looking for a site to find out their gluten free foods but cannot find one. I have some Great Value imitation vanilla but it doesn't say gluten free on it. The ingredients are water, propylene, glycol, vanillin, caramel color, 0.1% sodium benzoate (preservative), phosphoric acid and ethyl vanillin. So, what do you think? Gluten free or not? Thanks for your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LKelly8 Rookie

Not. :(

GV brands have been labeling gluten-free status for, I think, over a year. Maybe :huh: ? I can't remember when they first came out with this. It's been awhile, all the packaging should have changed by now.

I use McCormicks. If you're in the south, Publix (grocery store) brand almond, lemon and vanilla extracts are gluten-free.

snowygiraffe Rookie

I e-mailed Wal-Mart a couple of days ago and asked for a list of their gluten-free Great Value brand products. As soon as I hear something I will let you know.

ilmotherof2 Apprentice

LKelly8- Thanks for the reply... So what's the gluten ingredient? Is it the caramel color? I have soooo much to learn!

snowygiraffe - Don't forget to post your list. It will be very helpful!

LKelly8 Rookie
. . . So what's the gluten ingredient? Is it the caramel color?. . .

The usual suspects.

caramel color :unsure: vanillin

plantime Contributor

I think the culprit is the caramel coloring. I use McCormick's.

Guest ~jules~

I use the katchup so far, there are more! great! Ok whats the deal with carmal color? One day I hear its fine and another not!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ehrin Explorer

Caramel color - IN THE US ONLY - is gluten-free.

Where was the vanilla made? If it was made overseas then it could be the culprit -

otherwise it's safe.

**Edited to add the caramel color is safe, don't know if the product itself is**

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Does anyone know WHY great value brands now have their gluten-free status indicated on the packaging??

Well.... it's because one of the "really really high ups" in the Walmart Company IS a Celiac!!!!

Now, whether or not that information is true, I don't really know. But, it was told to us at a CSA meeting, by someone who runs a gluten-free bakery and is working with Walmart as one of her main suppliers.

Interesting huh??

Oh, and 100% natural vanilla is always gluten-free. It's only when you start seeing things added into it... as vanilla flavoring, rather than vanilla extract, that it's questionable. =)

ilmotherof2 Apprentice

I have spoken with our local Walmart SuperCenter manager about getting gluten free products in their stores. I also emailed the home office. We'll see where that gets me. It's interesting that a "really, really high up" in Walmart has Celiac. You'd think he'd get on the band wagon and get some gluten-free products in his store! I have to drive 45 minutes to a HyVee to get my gluten-free products.

penguin Community Regular
I have spoken with our local Walmart SuperCenter manager about getting gluten free products in their stores. I also emailed the home office. We'll see where that gets me. It's interesting that a "really, really high up" in Walmart has Celiac. You'd think he'd get on the band wagon and get some gluten-free products in his store! I have to drive 45 minutes to a HyVee to get my gluten-free products.

It's probably because hardly anybody that works for wal mart corporate actually shops there. Seriously, I've lived where corporate is, and have friends that have worked there.

Oh, and companies that want major distribution in their stores have to have a home office in northwest arkansas, where walmart corporate is.

Cheri A Contributor

Has anyone checked out the Super Targets in their area? The one near me carries the BRM flours, quinoa, quinoa-corn pasta, some Amy's stuff, some of the Cherrybrook Farms cake mixes, Arrowhead Mills pizza crust mix and probably some other stuff I am forgetting.

lindalee Enthusiast
Does anyone know WHY great value brands now have their gluten-free status indicated on the packaging??

Well.... it's because one of the "really really high ups" in the Walmart Company IS a Celiac!!!!

Now, whether or not that information is true, I don't really know. But, it was told to us at a CSA meeting, by someone who runs a gluten-free bakery and is working with Walmart as one of her main suppliers.

Interesting huh??

Oh, and 100% natural vanilla is always gluten-free. It's only when you start seeing things added into it... as vanilla flavoring, rather than vanilla extract, that it's questionable. =)

Anyone that will label their product is GREAT! From what I understand, some stores do and some don't. Maybe if we email them ...they will do more. I realize some products we can just read but the labeling makes it so much easier for everyone.

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

HyVee has a list online of there gluten free products that you can print out or you can get it up at the customer service desk. It's interesting to find that Target carries some gluten free products....I generally don't shop there because there prices are higher than WalMart. I think its great that walmart is labeling there products...now just if everybody else would jump in and do the same!

Guhlia Rising Star

I noticed the gluten free labels on GV brand about 6 months ago. I have only done my grocery shopping at Wal-mart since. And I buy mostly GV brand. One more reason for the snob in me to succumb to Wal-mart. B) They're just great.

LKelly8 Rookie

From the ultra scary "Forbidden List" . . . :o

"1) If this ingredient is made in North America it is likely to be gluten-free.

3) The problem with caramel color is it may or may not contain gluten depending on how it is manufactured. In the USA caramel color must conform with the FDA standard of identity from 21CFR CH.1. This statute says: "the color additive caramel is the dark-brown liquid or solid material resulting from the carefully controlled heat treatment of the following food-grade carbohydrates: Dextrose (corn sugar), invert sugar, lactose (milk sugar), malt syrup (usually from barley malt), molasses (from cane), starch hydrolysates and fractions thereof (can include wheat), sucrose (cane or beet)." Also, acids, alkalis and salts are listed as additives which may be employed to assist the caramelization process."

Notice it says caramel color made in North America - not sold in North America - is likely to be gluten-free. Seemingly home grown products may get some of their ingredients from overseas.

eKatherine Rookie

I think that Walmart got tired of paying their office help to answer the same question over and over again when the phone rang, and decided it was more cost-effective to put it right on the label. I'm surprised that more companies haven't realized that until they do this, the questions will never end.

Turtle Enthusiast
I think that Walmart got tired of paying their office help to answer the same question over and over again when the phone rang, and decided it was more cost-effective to put it right on the label. I'm surprised that more companies haven't realized that until they do this, the questions will never end.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm sorry, but this was FUNNY!

Sweetfudge Community Regular

What about things like beans? I know the GV beans say that they are made in a factory that processes wheat, but it's not like the beans are injected with wheat. I always rinse my beans several times before using them. Is that dangerous? Lol I just get them cuz they're cheaper but maybe I'll have to shell out more money. I was at Walmart this morning and saw Amy's frozen foods in the freezer section! Didn't find my favorite-individual gluten-free pizzas-but thought it was cool anyway!

• 3 months later...
ARK Apprentice

:huh::o:blink:WHAT??????????????????????

Cant use GV vanilla flavoring?

I'm crying. I kid you not.

My son just had some in his yogurt today.

We'll be paying the price for THAT mistake!!

What about vanilla from Mexico that say "alcohol" in the ingredients?

I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO frustrated!!!!!!! :(

• 4 years later...
calligbyas Newbie

Hi. I literally did a search a few moments ago and found the answer to vanilla and gluten. What it said was that the biggest issue is that it contains alcohol. Alcohol is made from grain. It also said that it is ordinarily ditilled so it should be ok, however, I think I'm going to just get the McCormick's brand to be safe. Hope this helped.

sa1937 Community Regular

Hi. I literally did a search a few moments ago and found the answer to vanilla and gluten. What it said was that the biggest issue is that it contains alcohol. Alcohol is made from grain. It also said that it is ordinarily ditilled so it should be ok, however, I think I'm going to just get the McCormick's brand to be safe. Hope this helped.

Please note that this is a very old thread. I suspect most vanilla is safe but again, read the labels. Personally I do use McCormick's and always have. They also run frequent coupons. :)

Archived