Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mamaathome

Gluten Free Curl Enhancer?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm looking for a gluten free curl enhancer for my hair. Does anyone know of a product like this? Thanks!

You could make your own. I found this recipe on one of the Delphi forums. Boil/simmer about one tablespoon of whole flax seeds in about 1/2 cup of water for about three minutes, strain the mixture. Combine equal parts of flax seed gel with aloe vera gel, store in the refrigerator. Use in place of regular hair gel. I bought the dark flax seeds. I store my gel in a Sally's bottle made for applying hair dye. This recipe does not work with ground flax seeds. You can change the proportions of the flax and aloe vera gel to change the holding power. I think more flax gel gives more hold. The flax gel also helps with shine.

Kathy

You could make your own. I found this recipe on one of the Delphi forums. Boil/simmer about one tablespoon of whole flax seeds in about 1/2 cup of water for about three minutes, strain the mixture. Combine equal parts of flax seed gel with aloe vera gel, store in the refrigerator. Use in place of regular hair gel. I bought the dark flax seeds. I store my gel in a Sally's bottle made for applying hair dye. This recipe does not work with ground flax seeds. You can change the proportions of the flax and aloe vera gel to change the holding power. I think more flax gel gives more hold. The flax gel also helps with shine.

Kathy

Seriously ? Wow! That is cool :D

Well, not as cool at Kathy's ! but the Frizz Ease mousse has worked well for me, and now I'm using Pureology Real Curl (have to get in a salon). A lotiony styler that smells amazing! I wasn't sure how it would work at first, since I have fine hair--but it promotes great curls and doesn't weigh down my hair at all. http://www.pureology.com/

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

When I wear my hair curly, I like Dove Anti Frizz Creme. The curls stay soft, not "crunchy" :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

MacGyver has nothing on this bunch! :P

Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05

Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

MacGyver has nothing on this bunch! :P

True that! :P

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

I'm looking for a gluten free curl enhancer for my hair. Does anyone know of a product like this? Thanks!

If this was not a gluten free forum, I would've suggested eating your crusts. That's what my dad would say when I left my crusts behind. Apparently eating crusts gives you curly hair!

Catherine

Seriously ? Wow! That is cool :D

Well, not as cool at Kathy's ! but the Frizz Ease mousse has worked well for me, and now I'm using Pureology Real Curl (have to get in a salon). A lotiony styler that smells amazing! I wasn't sure how it would work at first, since I have fine hair--but it promotes great curls and doesn't weigh down my hair at all. http://www.pureology.com/

Thanks for the info...unfortunatley I had contacted PureOlogy a few months ago and was told that none of their products are gluten-free. I had this confirmed again today. I'm checking to make sure though because they always say their products contain wheat, oat, and soy protein. So I want to find out if that means they ALL contain all three proteins OR if some may just contain soy, which would be safe...I'm waiting to hear back again. I'll post when I get the answer!!! Thanks again!

Thanks for the info...unfortunatley I had contacted PureOlogy a few months ago and was told that none of their products are gluten-free. I had this confirmed again today. I'm checking to make sure though because they always say their products contain wheat, oat, and soy protein. So I want to find out if that means they ALL contain all three proteins OR if some may just contain soy, which would be safe...I'm waiting to hear back again. I'll post when I get the answer!!! Thanks again!

Yeah, let me know what they say, b/c there aren't any gluten ingredients in the product I use. Maybe its their cya. I know some definitely have wheat etc...don't use any of those.

All of Giovanni hair products are gluten-free (even the golden wheat shampoo). I use their mousse off and on and it works pretty well with my curls.

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

Yeah, let me know what they say, b/c there aren't any gluten ingredients in the product I use. Maybe its their cya. I know some definitely have wheat etc...don't use any of those.

All of Giovanni hair products are gluten-free (even the golden wheat shampoo). I use their mousse off and on and it works pretty well with my curls.

Unfortunately, all of our products do contain wheat, oat and soy proteins.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Lima Sultan

Administrative Assistant

Customer Service

PureOlogy Research, LLC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 3:55 PM

To: Customer Service

Subject: Re: Real Curl

Dear Lima,

Thank you for your quick response. Do all of the products contain wheat, oat, AND soy proteins? Or are there some products with only wheat, only oat, or only soy? I ask because if there are products that contain soy proteins, but not wheat, barley, rye, or oats, those would be "safe" to use. Thank you again for your time.

"A thousand years of enjoying human glory is not worth even an hour spent sweetly communing with Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament." -St. Padre Pio

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 4:45 PM

Subject: RE: Real Curl

Dear Misty:

Thank you for your email!

Unfortunately, PureOlogy products are not gluten-free. Our products contain wheat, oat and soy proteins.

Please feel free to contact us if we can answer any other questions and/or be of further assistance to you.

Regards,

Lima Sultan

Administrative Assistant

Customer Service

PureOlogy Research, LLC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 1:11 PM

To: Customer Service

Subject: Real Curl

My daughter has a medical condition which requires that she only come into contact with gluten-free products. I need to know if your product Real Curl contains any gluten from wheat, barley, rye, oats, or any ingredients derived from these grains. Thank you.

"A thousand years of enjoying human glory is not worth even an hour spent sweetly communing with Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament." -St. Padre Pio

######################################################################

Attention:

This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are not the

intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.

Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

We may monitor email to and from our network.

http://www.pureology.com

I really like fructis curl cream. I called the company to confirm that it is indeed gluten free. There are a couple more fructis products for curly hair that I want to try so I'm going to call about them, and I'll let you know :)

dx by blood test and biopsy April 2006.

gluten free since, and avoiding dairy.

Guest cassidy

I use frizz-ease the pump curl enhancer and that is gluten-free. Check the labels but they have a lot of gluten-free products. I also use the regular frizz ease serum for frizz control.

I contacted Garnier and their hair care products are gluten free... I've been using the curl conditioning creme and curl gel with no problems...

Robin L Healey, AFPA-CPT

Venus Bodyworks Personal Training

and Lifestyle Coaching

"Ive transformed my body and others...

are you ready to transform yours?"

I use the Fructis spray gel and I can highly recommend it -- it does dry crunchy, but then you just have to gently scrunch it (maybe with a little pomade in your fingers or not) and it softens and spreads into really beautiful curls with great hold.

Erica

Inconclusive blood test results

Positive Enterolab results

Positive dietary results

gluten-free since 2/10/06

i use curls rocks...i have tried to contact the company and never got a response so if anyone knows if it is not ok...let me know....the ingredients appear to be ok...but who knows. <_<

gluten free since 7/21/06

I hate to say this but eating ones crusts does not curl your hair. In my gluten eating days I always ate crusts and had poker straight hair. Now, I have curly hair, the only good thing I got from Hypothyroidism.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.