Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

emcmaster

Have You Ever Not Gotten Sick When You Know For Sure You've Been Glutened?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yup, I think that can happen. The longer you go gluten free, the more extensive the healing. In SOME people I think that the gluten needs to build up for a major reaction. In OTHERS, one crumb will do it.

Every one is different.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Is it possible?

absolutely. I have to be extremely careful because I can eat gluten and not feel sick or anything. Other times I eat it and I have a really hard set-back. I know I was glutened last week when I ate out at one meal. I felt fine. Then this week I had gluten and have been suffering since. I sometimes have a hard time staying on my diet because I often don't get symptoms.

hypothyroid

hypoglycemic (diagnosed 1997 but symptomatic since grade school)

fibromyalgia

rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed January 2005)

peanut allergy

restarting gluten-free January 20, 2013

elevated liver enzymes + symptoms indicated celiac January 31, 2013. Dr. didn't want to run further tests due to other health complications

What if you usually react to hidden gluten, like cc? It seems odd that I could react to a crumb or particle and not react when it was a major ingredient...

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

Sometimes nothing happens to me and others I spend the day in the bathroom. It is almost like the toss of the coin, it is strange.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Everyone is so different, I couldn't agree more. I've heard of a lot of people thinking they outgrew Celiac because they had no symptoms. My 8 year old was soooooooo sick and then we put him back on gluten for a challenge (after his tTG came back slightly positive after being gluten free for three months), and nothing happened. It took about a month to the day to start getting the reactions. Now he gets the tummy aches again and he has a mouth FULL of canker sores. It's still nothing like they used to be, although we found out he's lactose intolerant from a breath test. We're keeping him away from dairy or using Lactaid. It seems one of his most outward symptoms was a lactose intolerance. We are having him biopsied next week. This is one important reason I want to find out for sure, because sometimes there are no evident reactions. They say most of the people right now are asymptomatic.

Actually, I get MUCH sicker from CC than I do if I accidentally eat a gluten ingredient. For example, I get sick from just a crumb if I'm eating out, but if I sat down and ate a piece of pizza I probably wouldn't get sick at all. When I did my gluten challenge a year and a half ago I made it just over a month eating gluten every single day at every meal and snack before i started to get sick. When I started to get sick I only ever got really fatigued and slept a lot. I never did get the major gastro symptoms. I just couldn't deal with being so foggy and tired. If I get CC'd I generally end up with stomach cramps and diarrhea. Luckily, I don't stay sick for very long, generally not more than 24 hours. I get mouth sores too when I get glutened, but I didn't get any when I did my gluten challenge.

I think that maybe (just my opinion) this is because my immune system is very strong when I'm gluten free and it reacts to CC violently, but when I'm eating gluten it gets kind of overwhelmed and sort of shuts down. That's just the way I see it.

Maybe you react to gluten like I do.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

I think that maybe (just my opinion) this is because my immune system is very strong when I'm gluten free and it reacts to CC violently, but when I'm eating gluten it gets kind of overwhelmed and sort of shuts down. That's just the way I see it.

Maybe you react to gluten like I do.

This makes A LOT of sense to me. Thanks for taking the time to explain it!

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

In one of my celiac books I remember reading about a similar subject....it said the body actually has an adaptation ability....that when you eat gluten the body can over adapt to the "poison" gluten, hence you may not react, but over time you get overloaded and the adaptation ability breaks down. Something like that, it made some sense to me when I read it. I had always been puzzled by never quite knowing when I'd be affected. Sometimes seemingly not at all, other times quite severely.

CAROLE

-------------

Enterolab 1/2006

IgA & tTg Positive

DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)

Casein IgA positive

Mom has 2 celiac genes

Both kids have a celiac gene.

Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.