This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Problems Swallowing?

kelly z

kelly z Rookie

Hi all and thank you for taking the time to read this. My husband was diagnosed with celiac disease in March 06. At first, he had been given meds for acid reflux. For a long time, he'd have problems swallowing. He'd take a bite of his dinner, then wash it down with milk (no dairy allergy) and have to run to the sink to "gurge" everything back up. Over 6 mos. of that (meds for acid reflux) and he wasn't any better. Went in for an EGD. Diagnosed with celiac disease. They gave him some type of inhaler to help the "rings" in his esophagus ( result, we were told, of the celiac disease) go away. 6 months of that inhaler...still problems swallowing. Go back in for another EGD. They open his esophagus a little (again) and tell him to try that and see an allergist. Allergist says tree nut allergy and possibly soy allergy. Ok...so tree nut are out. I have been buying less food stuffs with soy in it (his orders...not mine...otherwise he wouldn't eat any soy at all). However, he STILL can't swallow normally.

Has anyone been diagnosed with these "rings" in their esophagus and do you have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Kelly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hi all and thank you for taking the time to read this. My husband was diagnosed with celiac disease in March 06. At first, he had been given meds for acid reflux. For a long time, he'd have problems swallowing. He'd take a bite of his dinner, then wash it down with milk (no dairy allergy) and have to run to the sink to "gurge" everything back up. Over 6 mos. of that (meds for acid reflux) and he wasn't any better. Went in for an EGD. Diagnosed with celiac disease. They gave him some type of inhaler to help the "rings" in his esophagus ( result, we were told, of the celiac disease) go away. 6 months of that inhaler...still problems swallowing. Go back in for another EGD. They open his esophagus a little (again) and tell him to try that and see an allergist. Allergist says tree nut allergy and possibly soy allergy. Ok...so tree nut are out. I have been buying less food stuffs with soy in it (his orders...not mine...otherwise he wouldn't eat any soy at all). However, he STILL can't swallow normally.

Has anyone been diagnosed with these "rings" in their esophagus and do you have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Kelly

Gosh this must be so hard for both of you. I wish I had some answers for you other than the obvious that he HAS to stop consuming soy. If he has a problem with soy, the same as with gluten, a little bit will hurt him. I know it hard but he really needs to listen to the allergist on this one. In addition, and not intending to scare you here, if the allergist said it is an actual allergy and not an intolerance to soy there is the possiblity of the reaction going from a supreme annoyance to a life threating full anaphalyitic (sp) reaction without warning. If he is going to insist on going against the doctors orders you may want to enquire about an epipen if the doctor hasn't already mentioned it. Just in case.

happygirl Collaborator

Those rings can be associated with eosinophillic esophagitis (check out www.apfed.org). It is linked to other allergies/intolerances. It would be worth looking into.

Laura

bookbabie Apprentice

Back when I was still really sick I had problems swallowing. Didn't have it looked at, just added it a long list of weird symptoms. My uvula was, and is still somewhat swollen, and may be the cause for me, doctor also said my throat opening was a little narrowed. Gradually the problem went away the longer my diet was clean, but it took a long time. I even started choking once at a restaurant on some stringy cheese. Dairy does tend to increase mucus secretion, whether you are "allergic" or not. My two cents is that he might be better off washing his meals down by sipping on some hot tea or plain warm water.

kelly z Rookie

Thank you everyone for your responses! I think the same on the soy...it's a no go. I've asked him to switch to something else to drink at meals...so at least he's thinking about it.

Thanks again!

Mango04 Enthusiast

I used to have a problem where it felt like someone was constantly squeezing my esophogus with their hand and my throat always felt swollen and constricted. I hate to sound redundant, but it did turn out that soy was my problem (and it took me forever to figure it out, because I felt like that always, and not just when I ate soy).

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I have the same problem, not as bad as your husband though. I have had it for years and years, I am not sure that celiac's is the cause for me. I was told years and years ago that my esophogus is malformed. I find there are certain foods that are worse than others for me to swallow. The worst thing ever, believe it or not, was pistaschio pudding. I would choke on that everytime. I used to have a big problem with bread too, yet I never have than anymore--not a problem for me now! Sometimes meat will choke me too--I find I must make very sure that I chew it very well before I swallow.

I never heard that this could be connected to celiac's too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alyssasgabby Rookie

I think I may know what you are describing-my doctor has told me I have Barrett's Esophagus, and you might want to have hubby ask his MD about it. I was told it's a "Reflux Change", and probably caused by celiac disease. Please, let us know how hubby does!

chrissy Collaborator

i recently had a scope done and the surgeon clipped the ring in my esophagus in about 4 places to widen it. i used to get food stuck---it was really painful. i don't get food stuck since the scope, but i still am having trouble swallowing sometimes. it is like certain foods just drag all the way down. i don't have celiac---i was diagnosed with severe reflux esophagitis.

Archived