Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crysmz1981

Brown Cow Low-fat/non-fat Yogurt

I'm brand new to the gluten-free diet and feeling a bit overwhelmed! I went to Wild Oats last night to stock up but now I'm unsure about the yogurt I bought.

I bought Brown Cow low-fat key lime, low-fat maple, and fat-free vanilla varieties. I read the label and didn't see anything that would indicate gluten, but it also doesn't say "gluten free," so I'd like to be sure.

Does anyone know if these are okay to eat?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

From their website:

. Is there any gluten in Brown Cow yogurts?

Though we don't add gluten, there may be trace amounts of gluten in our yogurt, which come from the processing of the fruit and flavors with a grain alcohol. The only flavors we can be absolutely certain have no traces of gluten are our nonfat, low fat and whole milk plain yogurts. We are still in the process of learning more about Celiac disease and have been told that some individuals are sensitive to even miniscule amounts of gluten. We have difficulty answering questions because we are concerned about giving out information to individuals who have unique and sensitive health issues without the person going through their doctor, especially since the outcome could be very serious.

So.. they don't know, and that's a CYA if I've ever seen one.

Yoplait is fine.

Elonwy

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

From their website:

......Though we don't add gluten, there may be trace amounts of gluten in our yogurt, which come from the processing of the fruit and flavors with a grain alcohol.........

.....Yoplait is fine...Elonwy

I'm not going to restrict myself to eating only products that actually have "gluten-free" on the label. I've been eating Brown Cow yogurt, among many others. I figure if there is debate about whether it is OK or not to actually drink grain alcohol (which I also do), then a "possible" trace from the grain alcohol used in the processing of the small amounts of fruit is probably insignificant to a normal celiac (that sounds like a real oxymoron doesn't it?).

E,

Why is Yoplait fine? best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa