Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think most mayos are ok, but Hellman's and Dukes are the best and I can guarantee they are gluten free.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I think most mayos are ok, but Hellman's and Dukes are the best and I can guarantee they are gluten free.

Thank you so much! 2 more things...1 Cheese 2.All,or most,veggies?? Thanks again,you've been a BIG help.

Most cheese is gluten-free; there are apparently some shredded cheeses that are separated by wheat, but I've never personally seen them. I've also heard to watch out for cheese blends with herbs and such. There is also some controversy about blue cheese since it can start out from bread mold, but I don't eat it (never liked it!), so I don't know the actual answer to that. So, if it's hard, pure cheese, it's gluten-free.

All fresh veggies are gluten-free; you just need to be aware of canned veggies with stuff added to it, but all of DelMonte veggies are gluten-free, according to their website.

*Julie*

Gluten free since December 2004

Soy free since June 2005

Dairy free since July 2006

The best way to learn if things are gluten free is to know how to successfully read labels. Sometimes, it can be hard to make generalizations to a whole type of food. Wheat is required to be listed on all labels, and there is a list of companies that will list any gluten source (click on my user name, and you will see it on my list of topics). Taken together, these two things will help you greatly.

All fresh fruits, veggies, and meats/fish/poultry are gluten free. The place where you could have trouble, is things like veggies in sauces. But all regular veggies/fruits are fine.

Most cheeses are safe. But, you have to read the label of every product. There is some question over some bleu cheeses, so I would be careful of those unless you have confirmed that they are gluten free.

Thank you so much! 2 more things...1 Cheese 2.All,or most,veggies?? Thanks again,you've been a BIG help.

Cheese - alot of newly diagnosed celiacs have trouble with dairy. Although, almost all cheeses are gluten free. There is still some concern about starter molds, as in blue cheese and similar others, others feel that they are artificially induced. I have not issue with blue cheese.

All fresh veggies are gluten free. Canned veggies may have seasonings in that you may watch for. But for the most part, most likely not. But please read the labels.

Kraft foods and ConAgra are the good guys and will always list in their ingredients.

Lisa

We've been using Hellman's light and I noticed that the last jar we bought actually said gluten free on the label. The jar I had before did not say that. I saw something else the other day that said it too. It would be nice if more companies continue to do this!

The best way to learn if things are gluten free is to know how to successfully read labels. Sometimes, it can be hard to make generalizations to a whole type of food. Wheat is required to be listed on all labels, and there is a list of companies that will list any gluten source (click on my user name, and you will see it on my list of topics). Taken together, these two things will help you greatly.

All fresh fruits, veggies, and meats/fish/poultry are gluten free. The place where you could have trouble, is things like veggies in sauces. But all regular veggies/fruits are fine.

Most cheeses are safe. But, you have to read the label of every product. There is some question over some bleu cheeses, so I would be careful of those unless you have confirmed that they are gluten free.

Thanks for the words/advice/info,it helps!!Thanks and have a great night

Cheese - alot of newly diagnosed celiacs have trouble with dairy. Although, almost all cheeses are gluten free. There is still some concern about starter molds, as in blue cheese and similar others, others feel that they are artificially induced. I have not issue with blue cheese.

All fresh veggies are gluten free. Canned veggies may have seasonings in that you may watch for. But for the most part, most likely not. But please read the labels.

Kraft foods and ConAgra are the good guys and will always list in their ingredients.

Thank you!

We've been using Hellman's light and I noticed that the last jar we bought actually said gluten free on the label. The jar I had before did not say that. I saw something else the other day that said it too. It would be nice if more companies continue to do this!

Thanks sooooooo much

You are very welcome and please always feel free to ask about anything. That's what it's all about.

Lisa

..... any food book suggestions would be great!...

d1,

I have quite a few gluten-free books and one I highly recommend for the newly diagnosed (like me) is Living Gluten-Free for Dummies by Danna Korn. I realize it may sound like a joke but it's not. There's a ton of good information, inspiration, and of course recipes. Not just a cookbook!

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

d1,

I have quite a few gluten-free books and one I highly recommend for the newly diagnosed (like me) is Living Gluten-Free for Dummies by Danna Korn. I realize it may sound like a joke but it's not. There's a ton of good information, inspiration, and of course recipes. Not just a cookbook!

best regards, lm

LM,thanks a bunch,kid!! I ordered it on Amazon,so I'll have it soon,Thanks Dub1

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    PSHadle
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts