Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

debral68

Food,product Help

Wondering if anyone can help me out. My daughter (3) has been gluten-free since July 06. She was tested around 11-12 mnths old- negative. Had 2 biopsies also. First one -negative, second one- positive. Blood tests in July 06 were high, Then retested in Oct 06- titers=80, TTG=86.4, retested again March 07, titers= 20, TTG = 67. The docter says she is still getting gluten. I'm not sure where to start to try and figure it out. We have all separate jars of foods for her, sep. toaster oven. I haven't been giving her things that could be cross contaminated, that we know of anyway. Also what ingredient am I looking for in hair products, bath stuff, lotions other than something clearly stating the obvious- wheat, oats, rye, barley....This is so frustrating.

Here's a few things that I am now questioning again-

Healthy Choice lunch meat- In the containers- Ultra thin honey ham

Deli American Cheese- Land of Lakes

Betty Crocker Fruit Snacks-tried calling -get different answers

Kelloggs fruit snacks- same with this one -different answers

Yoplait yogurts

Juicy Juice

Welch's Jelly

Hellmans Mayo

Ice cream- any brands as long as plain like choc,vanilla,coffee

Do I have to worry about the laundry detergent and fabric softeners that I use? Anything anyone can think of would be great.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I hate to say this but, start a massive list of EVERYTHING you use on your child (soap, cream, toothpaste, diaper cream, plus foods and drinks) and start calling. If you do not get a straight answer, use a different product. Clan Thompson used to sell foods lists that might be helpful. They come in paper back and electronic.

I know play dough contains wheat, so do finger paints, crayons, chaulks, even glues. Just find the gluten-free brands.

Some juices and drinks which sounds like they should be gluten-free are not. Some Rice milks, mixed juices (orange and banana, etc)

Most of the wipes, diaper creams and formulas are gluten-free, but you need to call on all of what you use.

Boar's Head and Thuramn Deli meats are what I use - gluten-free.

I think the ice cream and yogurt you use are highly questionable. I think they both can contain gluten, but I do not have my list with me. Some Bryers ice cream do contain Malt - Not gluten-free. The vanilla and chocholate checkerd pattern conatins malt. Yogurt - I use Stoneyfield farms. I think Yoplait is off limits for us.

Anyway, research this site for hidden sources of gluten and other key words to look for. Plus, everybook on celiacs has a list of the foods to avoid in it. See what you can find.

Hopefully you will find the hidden gluten soon.

Most yoplait yogurt is gluten-free (I think there is one with a granola), they are a Kraft company and will clearly state gluten. I use a natural Hormel deli meat that is prepackaged that says gluten-free on the label. However, I think the Healthy Choice lunch meats are safe but I am not positive.

Are you reading the labels everytime you buy something? It seems like a stupid question but I have almost been glutened from forgeting to double check every product every time. A company can change ingredients like we change our underwear!

I would also think about cc issues in your home. Plus I would look to outside sources of possible contamination (playgroup, church, preschool, day care, grandparents).

I hope you find some answers soon. It is very frustrating.

Hez

Wondering if anyone can help me out. My daughter (3) has been gluten-free since July 06. She was tested around 11-12 mnths old- negative. Had 2 biopsies also. First one -negative, second one- positive. Blood tests in July 06 were high, Then retested in Oct 06- titers=80, TTG=86.4, retested again March 07, titers= 20, TTG = 67. The docter says she is still getting gluten. I'm not sure where to start to try and figure it out. We have all separate jars of foods for her, sep. toaster oven. I haven't been giving her things that could be cross contaminated, that we know of anyway. Also what ingredient am I looking for in hair products, bath stuff, lotions other than something clearly stating the obvious- wheat, oats, rye, barley....This is so frustrating.

Yoplait yogurts

Juicy Juice

Welch's Jelly

Hellmans Mayo

Do I have to worry about the laundry detergent and fabric softeners that I use? Anything anyone can think of would be great.

Everytime I call about yogurt I get the same answer. Only the natural, no flavor is guarenteed to be gluten freel

Everytime I call about yogurt I get the same answer. Only the natural, no flavor is guarenteed to be gluten freel

I have heard the above to be true about Dannon but not yoplait. If you do a search on this site there are alot of threads saying what I have said. Yoplait is made by Kraft, Kraft is a company that discloses gluten on the label. You do not need to call the company, you need to read the label. This is one of the companies that celiacs can trust.

Hez

I have heard the above to be true about Dannon but not yoplait. If you do a search on this site there are alot of threads saying what I have said. Yoplait is made by Kraft, Kraft is a company that discloses gluten on the label. You do not need to call the company, you need to read the label. This is one of the companies that celiacs can trust.

Hez

Thanks for the update Hez, I'll check it out today.

Yoplait yogurts

Juicy Juice

Welch's Jelly

Hellmans Mayo

Dear debral68,

I have a list that should really help. This is overwhelming. I went through this with myself six months ago. You spend most of your day cooking and cleaning obsessively. The rest you are on the phone with reps from companies trying to find out what is safe. I decided to save you the trouble!

1. There are a number of things in the regular grocery that are safe. Some things are labeled already. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has numerous things you can eat.

2. For the love of God use Coupons on items you are allowed to eat. People can get them and print them out online even. Call some of the local stores and ask if they accept online coupons.

3. Check the ads online and in the newspaper. You would be surprised how many people do not do this.

4. Some items like rice flour and rice noodles are safe to buy at the Chinese or oriental market. The merchants are more than happy to help you if you cannot read the label.

Now, here is my list of great things to get you started:

Condiments:

Smart Balance Margerine

Crisco Shortening

Crisco Oil

Pompeiian Olive Oil

Great Value soy sauce

Heinz Ketchup

Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce

Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce

Kraft French Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Thousand Island Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Pace Picante Sauce

Ortega Salsa

All Classico Red and White sauces

All Jif Peanut Butters including Smooth Sensations

Welch's Grape Jelly

Cool Whip

Philadelphia Cream Cheese

Miracle Whip

Daisy Sour Cream (fat-free, low-fat, regular)

Snack Foods:

Fritos

Tostitos

Lay's Original Potato Chips

Cool Ranch Doritos (Nacho cheese has gluten)

Act II Microwave Popcorn

Cheetos

3 Musketeers candy bars

Butterfinger candy bars

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Meat and Protein :

Eggs

Great Value Frozen Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Extra Lean ground beef

Carl Buddig lunchmeats all are safe

Johnsonville Original Bratwursts

Kraft Cheese Shredded or sliced (Kraft is a great company, they never hide gluten in their labels. If it does not say wheat, barley, oats or rye, then it is not in there!)

Cereals:

Cocoa Pebbles

Fruity Pebbles

Dora The Explorer Cinnamon Stars

Seasonings:

Durkee Cinnamon-ground

Durkee Ginger-ground

Durkee Chili powder

Durkee Vanilla Extract (in fact, all of their liquid flavorings, food colorings, and extracts are g.f.)

Emeril's Essence - Asian, Italian

Ortega Taco Seasoning (In fact, since they are under a very strict labeling policy, all of their products are gluten free at this time)

Miscellaneous:

Ortega Taco Shells

Starkist or Great Value Tuna

Butter Buds

Great Value Soy Milk

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Apples

Pears

Carrots

Great Value Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Del Monte Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Ore Ida Tater Tots

Ore Ida French Fries

Hormel Chili

Hormel Spam

Hormel Turkey Spam (Oven Roasted and Smoked)

Hormel Beef Au Jus Entree

Hormel Pork Au Jus Entree

Jimmy Dean Fresh Taste Fast Sausage (links, rolls, and patties)

Plumrose Bacon

PAM Non-Stick Cooking Spray (all except for PAM for baking; it has flour)

Beverages:

Coca-Cola (Diet, Regular, Vanilla, Caffeine Free)

Diet Rite

Folgers Coffees (all including Cappuccinos)

Luzianne Tea (We get decaf)

Arizona Teas

Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice

Some Household Items that are safe include:

Cascade Dishwashing Detergent

All Laundry Detergent

Wisk Laundry Detergent

Dawn Dish Soap (all including the Power Disolver)

SoftSoap Hand Soaps

Murphy's Oil Soap

Hygiene, Cosmetics, and Beauty Items:

Dove Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners, Lotions, and Styling Aids (Will clearly label gluten if present)

Crest Whitening Expressions Toothpastes

Colgate Toothpastes

Suave Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners, Lotions, and Styling Aids (Will clearly label gluten if present)

Maybelline (Gluten is clearly labeled when present)

CoverGirl (Gluten is clearly labeled when present)

Wet'n Wild (All except for one of the mascaras)

Olay Quench Body Lotion

Crest WhiteStrips

Colgate Simply White

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

P.S. You are in the U.S. right? In Canada, these products may not be safe. If you are in Canada, let me know. I have a site that lists gluten-free products of mainstream brands for you.

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Dear debral68,

I have a list that should really help. This is overwhelming. I went through this with myself six months ago. You spend most of your day cooking and cleaning obsessively. The rest you are on the phone with reps from companies trying to find out what is safe. I decided to save you the trouble!

1. There are a number of things in the regular grocery that are safe. Some things are labeled already. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has numerous things you can eat.

2. For the love of God use Coupons on items you are allowed to eat. People can get them and print them out online even. Call some of the local stores and ask if they accept online coupons.

3. Check the ads online and in the newspaper. You would be surprised how many people do not do this.

4. Some items like rice flour and rice noodles are safe to buy at the Chinese or oriental market. The merchants are more than happy to help you if you cannot read the label.

Now, here is my list of great things to get you started:

Condiments:

Smart Balance Margerine

Crisco Shortening

Crisco Oil

Pompeiian Olive Oil

Great Value soy sauce

Heinz Ketchup

Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce

Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce

Kraft French Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Thousand Island Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Pace Picante Sauce

Ortega Salsa

All Classico Red and White sauces

All Jif Peanut Butters including Smooth Sensations

Welch's Grape Jelly

Cool Whip

Philadelphia Cream Cheese

Miracle Whip

Daisy Sour Cream (fat-free, low-fat, regular)

Snack Foods:

Fritos

Tostitos

Lay's Original Potato Chips

Cool Ranch Doritos (Nacho cheese has gluten)

Act II Microwave Popcorn

Cheetos

3 Musketeers candy bars

Butterfinger candy bars

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Meat and Protein :

Eggs

Great Value Frozen Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Extra Lean ground beef

Carl Buddig lunchmeats all are safe

Johnsonville Original Bratwursts

Kraft Cheese Shredded or sliced (Kraft is a great company, they never hide gluten in their labels. If it does not say wheat, barley, oats or rye, then it is not in there!)

Cereals:

Cocoa Pebbles

Fruity Pebbles

Dora The Explorer Cinnamon Stars

Seasonings:

Durkee Cinnamon-ground

Durkee Ginger-ground

Durkee Chili powder

Durkee Vanilla Extract (in fact, all of their liquid flavorings, food colorings, and extracts are g.f.)

Emeril's Essence - Asian, Italian

Ortega Taco Seasoning (In fact, since they are under a very strict labeling policy, all of their products are gluten free at this time)

Miscellaneous:

Ortega Taco Shells

Starkist or Great Value Tuna

Butter Buds

Great Value Soy Milk

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Apples

Pears

Carrots

Great Value Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Del Monte Canned Fruits and Vegetables

Ore Ida Tater Tots

Ore Ida French Fries

Hormel Chili

Hormel Spam

Hormel Turkey Spam (Oven Roasted and Smoked)

Hormel Beef Au Jus Entree

Hormel Pork Au Jus Entree

Jimmy Dean Fresh Taste Fast Sausage (links, rolls, and patties)

Plumrose Bacon

PAM Non-Stick Cooking Spray (all except for PAM for baking; it has flour)

Beverages:

Coca-Cola (Diet, Regular, Vanilla, Caffeine Free)

Diet Rite

Folgers Coffees (all including Cappuccinos)

Luzianne Tea (We get decaf)

Arizona Teas

Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice

Some Household Items that are safe include:

Cascade Dishwashing Detergent

All Laundry Detergent

Wisk Laundry Detergent

Dawn Dish Soap (all including the Power Disolver)

SoftSoap Hand Soaps

Murphy's Oil Soap

Hygiene, Cosmetics, and Beauty Items:

Dove Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners, Lotions, and Styling Aids (Will clearly label gluten if present)

Crest Whitening Expressions Toothpastes

Colgate Toothpastes

Suave Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners, Lotions, and Styling Aids (Will clearly label gluten if present)

Maybelline (Gluten is clearly labeled when present)

CoverGirl (Gluten is clearly labeled when present)

Wet'n Wild (All except for one of the mascaras)

Olay Quench Body Lotion

Crest WhiteStrips

Colgate Simply White

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

P.S. You are in the U.S. right? In Canada, these products may not be safe. If you are in Canada, let me know. I have a site that lists gluten-free products of mainstream brands for you.

Thank you so much for the list!! Yes, I am in the US.

We eat Yoplait yogurt all the time with no issues. You do have to avoid the granola or cookie add-ins as mentioned above.

Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm

but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06

gluten-free since 1/12/06

Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)

Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006

gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)

HLA-DQ2 positive

Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times

Still eating gluten for now.

Guest lorlyn

I beleive Hellmans mayo says gluten free on its label. Just double check.

We eat Yoplait yogurt all the time with no issues. You do have to avoid the granola or cookie add-ins as mentioned above.

Dear wolfie,

The Whips are really good! I may have to give up dairy though! :( It seems to make me sick. The Latte flavored Whips are delicious! Have you tried that flavor?

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Thank you so much for the list!! Yes, I am in the US.

Dear debral68,

You are so welcome! I am going to try and make an even more organized list soon. I want to make sure for people who cannot have casein which items are not safe for them. I may be one of them. :( My doctor told me to give it up for a while to see. Having items listed by department will make shopping much easier. That will leave less time worrying about food, and more time having a life!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

If you have a super Wal-mart near you, check out their grocery section. Their Great Value brand labels gluten free right on the label. Plus, it appears as though they don't label gluten free unless it's made in a gluten free facility. I could be wrong on that last part. They even label their juices and stuff. Plus, the Great Value brand is really tasty and much cheaper than the name brand stuff. I actually prefer many of the GV brand products over the name brand, I think they taste better.

Someone around here has a list of manufacturers that will clearly list gluten on the label as wheat, barley, rye, or oats. I know Kraft and Unilever will clearly list gluten, but there's a long list of safe manufacturers. Hopefully someone will post.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

This lits is wonderful...thank you!

Dear UNCHeel,

You are welcome! ;) I was so glad to help you guys! Six months ago, I spent an eternity on the phone with manufacturers, then exhausted myself obsessively cleaning my stuff and cooking. By the time I was done with that, there was no energy left for anything else! It is really overwhelming.

Anything to make it easier! By the way, I just found out GV pie filling is gluten free! YAY! Comstock is expensive! I will let you know how it tastes!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Bob Loblaw
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)