Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JerryK

Hey Guys

Hey guys, I found myself reaching for the immodium this morning.

Not sure what the deal was as I've been really careful.

The only thing different I did yesterday was, after I got home from bowling, I pounded

down half a dozen rather large "Otter Pops", you know those frozen popcicle sticks....

I see nothing on the label that indicates that they have wheat in them...artificial color, artificial

flavor...sorbitol...etc...but nothing obvious. Is it possible I got glutened by them, or is it just my

body reacting to the large amount of these icy treats? I hope they don't have gluten in them, because I love them....

They seem just like corn syrup and water...what could be better than that :P

Other than that, everything seems cool.j

Dental Enamel Defects

Gastro symptoms

Positive Dietary Response

Enterolab Antigliadin IgA positive 12/06

Transglutaminase IgA Positive

Blood TG IgA Negative 2/07

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

Gluten Intolerant...Likely non Celiac

Western Oregon (Or-ee-gun) US

Why Worry?...YOU are a sentient being on a habitable world in a cosmos largely filled with nothing.

You

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Jerry,

I'd say your culprit is the sorbitol. It's a sugar alcohol, and can cause D--especially since you ate 6 of them!

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Sorbitol in largish quantities has a laxative effect, so if that's the symptom you're having right now, without the mood symptoms etc., I'd suspect too much sorbitol in one go instead of a glutening.

I try to avoid anything with artificial sweeteners because of this effect... :P:blink:<_< '

edit: Patti was posting at the same time... :D

Pauliina

OK, great! I will try not to be such a glutton next time :lol:

Dental Enamel Defects

Gastro symptoms

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

Why Worry?...YOU are a sentient being on a habitable world in a cosmos largely filled with nothing.

You

OK, great! I will try not to be such a glutton next time :lol:

Look at the bright side--you didn't get glutened, so some D is all you'll have. ;)

I remember several years ago, I used cough drops with manitol (same idea) in them--never made that mistake again :lol:

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Yes, according to Wikipedia:

Clinical significance

Sorbitol is produced naturally by the body, yet sorbitol is poorly digested by the body. Too much sorbitol in cells can cause damage.

Diabetic retinopathy and neuropathy may be related to excess sorbitol in the cells of the eyes and nerves. The source of this sorbitol in diabetics is excess glucose, which goes through the polyol pathway. Ingesting large amounts of sorbitol can lead to some abdominal pain, gas, and mild to severe diarrhea. Sorbitol can also aggravate irritable bowel syndrome and fructose malabsorption.

I recall having ordinary fruit juice pops as a kid. We'd take an ice cube try, fill it with juice, cover it with plastic wrap, and push popsicle sticks down through. Eventually we actually had a set of plastic ice pop makers, designed especially for making homemade ice pops.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

So why is it in there...to give these pops a 1000 year shelf life??

Dental Enamel Defects

Gastro symptoms

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

You

I think it's a sweetner, cheap, fake sugar. I stick to real sugar now, the stuff that ends in "tol" is not good for you.

Yes, according to Wikipedia:

I recall having ordinary fruit juice pops as a kid. We'd take an ice cube try, fill it with juice, cover it with plastic wrap, and push popsicle sticks down through. Eventually we actually had a set of plastic ice pop makers, designed especially for making homemade ice pops.

Dear RiceGuy,

We used to make the fruit juice pops too! My mother would get the grape juice. Then we would pour it in the molds. We popped them in the freezer, and later they were a great frozen treat! I think ours broke we used them so much!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Jerry.....sugar alcohols, such as sorbitol, mannitol and I can't remember all of the others, have been used for a long time for diabetics who want sweets. They have the same amount of calories as regular sugar but since the body absorbs the sugar alcohols more slowly, it was thought to be a safer choice for diabetics since it would ostensibly keep their blood sugar levels from going too high. I don't know if that's still currently thought to be a good idea. If you really like those pops, you can slowly acclimate yourself to more and more of sugar alcohols. It also works well for hypoglycemics.....they don't get that sugar rush and ready to keel over feeling.