This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nerve Issues And Diet?

daniella

daniella Newbie

About 2 months ago I developed a severe pain in my inner ankle/foot area and within a week or so was in the worst pain of my life. I have been in bed most of 6 weeks. I first thought it was an injury and had bone scans,xrays but it turned out not. I was reffered to a neurologist and was given emg tests and now have an mri on sat. I have sharp pains in my foot and tingling,numbing. I can barely walk and am in aircast when I do. I was also given a nerve block shot and am on nerve meds along with vicadin for pain. Anyhow I have been tested in the past for celiec and it didn't show but I have a lot of the symptoms including very high liver enzymes,low white blood count,bloating and cramping,usually constipated but when I go its a lot, and now this nerve issue. Before this nerve issue I always had sore joints and pains. I'm in my late 20's. I'm under the care of 3 plus docs right now but was wondering if anyone had any input and found a wheat free diet to help. Thank you and I hope this was the proper place to post.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
About 2 months ago I developed a severe pain in my inner ankle/foot area and within a week or so was in the worst pain of my life. I have been in bed most of 6 weeks. I first thought it was an injury and had bone scans,xrays but it turned out not. I was reffered to a neurologist and was given emg tests and now have an mri on sat. I have sharp pains in my foot and tingling,numbing. I can barely walk and am in aircast when I do. I was also given a nerve block shot and am on nerve meds along with vicadin for pain. Anyhow I have been tested in the past for celiec and it didn't show but I have a lot of the symptoms including very high liver enzymes,low white blood count,bloating and cramping,usually constipated but when I go its a lot, and now this nerve issue. Before this nerve issue I always had sore joints and pains. I'm in my late 20's. I'm under the care of 3 plus docs right now but was wondering if anyone had any input and found a wheat free diet to help. Thank you and I hope this was the proper place to post.

I had nerve issues in my feet and hands, for 7-10 years. Tingling and numbness. It doesn't sound as severe as yours, mine is rarely debilitating, though on occasion it makes walking or doing simple manual tasks very difficult or uncomfortable.

I have seen some improvement in frequency since going gluten free 4 months ago, but not much improvement in severity. I am still experiencing some GI issues, I'm trying to eliminate corn now, and am starting to wonder about diary.

Geoff

RiceGuy Collaborator

Two things in particular have helped me greatly with nerve function and such. A sublingual methylcobalamin supplement (vitamin B12), and a magnesium supplement. I recommend them most highly.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I have to bring something up that's very unpleasant, however unlikely. Has any of your doctors considered MS?

daniella Newbie

Thank you for your replies. I feel very lonely,confused,and scared along with the pain. Thank you for the suggestions and personal experience. I have not been tested I don't think for ms. Unless that would show in my mri tomorrow. I did have bone scan,emg,and doppler,xrays and complete blood work. I'm very frustrated with docs at this point because one sends me to another or like the neurolgist who sent me to pt that overstretched me and now I'm in worse pain then before and why I started to take vicodin. I'm very concerned that all the waiting to get in for tests or for the doc to order more after waiting to see if the meds help or what the previous test shows is making things worse. I'm trying to not get ahead. On the note of stomach issues like last night I was up all night with cramping,bloating and feeling like I need to go.Also would it make a difference if not intolerant but sensitive if you just limit but not take away? Thank you again its very appreciated.

marciab Enthusiast

Your digestive issues could be from the Vicodan. All pain meds tear up my stomach. And make me feel like I am disconnected.

I hate it when doctors make me feel worse. I have pain in my right hip and foot from a herniated disk, but the excercises the PT has me doing actually make it feel better, not worse. Did your PT help you with these to make sure you were doing only the ones that did not cause you pain ? Lite stretching excercises are best.

Rotating ice and heat, 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off is actually better for pain than most drugs.

Gluten lite will still cause problems for a lot of people. I can't have any gluten whatsoever or else I will get my myoclonus and insomnia back.

Marcia

daniella Newbie

Thanks well my stomach symptoms were before the meds but I do agree it has made it worse. I always though that celiec disease came with more diareah and I'm so constipated but when I do go its a lot and I feel drained like again I was up all night with such stomach bloating and still constipated.This is regardless of fiber intake. I saw a nutritionist because I eat a lot and though I don't feel hungry I feel malnurished if that makes sense. I have a bug appetite though regardless of hunger. As for pt actually I saw another doc yesterday and for my issue it aggrevates it. I had my mri today so will see and a nerve shot yesterday. If the next set of shots doesn't help and these tests don't show anything they think they will do surgery to release a nerve. So sick of this and it really teaches you how health is so important.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived