Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blooming

Kitchen Gear Advice Needed

So I'm pretty new to being gluten free and am trying to figure out how far to go with this. The rest of my family does not have a problem with gluten. I am now positive I do.

I'm not sure what to do about dishes and gluten foods. I was wondering what others do. Do you buy all new dishes for entire family and does everyone go gluten free? Do you have seperate dishes(such as plates), pots or do you share? Any advice is appreciated because although I'm pretty careful we're still using the same kitchen gear (other then the toaster). Oh, and what about grills is it okay to have you're food grilled on the same grill as a grill with say marinaded chicken?

Then of course there is food like jelly, peanut butter, regular butter etc that we share. I'm just not sure how to get it all in order. And what's overboard or just being safe.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome!

I am very lucky, it is just my husband and me and our kitchen is gluten free.

I think the general feeling is that as long as the dishes are cleaned well, then they should be OK.

Now, I threw out the toaster and the mixer and the wooden spoons and my wooden cutting boards. My calphalon cookware is not non-stick, so it is fine and I don't react to it. I did get new plastic containers, but we do this every couple of weeks anyway (he leaves them at work and they get moldy and we won't clean them if they are moldy)

If it is a gluten kitchen, then you will need to have your own containers of any condiment that might possibily come in contact with gluten. Butter, Peanut butter, mustard, mayo, jelly etc. etc. I would also recommend one area of the countertops that is designated Gluten free. We actually have the opposite-one small area where he puts any odd gluten item that might be in the house for a short time. We also use Paper towels, rather than sponges or dish towels to clean countertops at my parents house.

Next step-have you check personal products and pet foods? I will feed the animals if I have to, but make sure to wash my hands immediately.

I am sure others that do not have a gluten free kitchen will thing of some things for you too.

Guest j_mommy

I just washed all my dishes/tupperware/pots/pans/cookware in HOT water. Any non-stick pots and pans that you have are ok to keep IF they don't have scratches. I have been using teh same things as I was before going gluten-free.

I second getting rid of the wooden stuff and anything you are questioning. I would also pick up a new colander!

As far as peanut butter and jelly....(make sure both are gluten-free) but instead of buying two seperate you could just put some into a tupperware container for youself!

Good Luck...it's tuff at first but gets easier!

Recommend: Living Gluten Free for Dummies by Dana Korn!