This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Why Am I Still In So Much Pain?

Electra

Electra Enthusiast

I was diagnosed a while ago and seemed to do pretty good for a while. About every other week It seemed as though I had been cross contaminated and I had a little pain in my upper abdomin under my rib cage for a couple of days. Well I cut everything out except for fresh fruits, veggies, and meats and now I'm in almost CONSTANT pain. Under my ribs on both sides I get a constant aching pain, and when I drive in the car or sit/stand in one position for too long I get these stabbing pains in the same spot. The pain radiates around to my back but it stays on the sides and never goes in the middle. I'm petrified to eat now because I hurt so badly all the time. Everything I'm eating should be 100% safe, so why am I having so much pain all of the sudden? It seems to get worse with every passing day and I just can't handle much more of this. Is there something else that could be causing this pain? It's the same kind of pain I had before I found out I had celiac, so what in the world do you think may be going on?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

girlywhirly Newbie

I have been gluten free for 3 months and I have experienced the same thing! However, I recently had an appt with an herbalist and discovered food sensitivities that I think are the culprit. A few of the things I cannot have are soy, dairy, any berries with little seeds (strawberries, raspberries etc...she said it's difficult for my irritated gut to digest them), nuts and some random fruits and veggies that are difficult to digest or that are very sugery. Also she said that my liver is quite congested (which I had guessed) so it was part of the painful problem. I have experienced some relief so far on my new diet. Once my GI tract shows signs of improvement she is suggesting that I do a cleanse. We are quite hopeful that this will start some healing and long term help I will keep you posted on my progess, and hope you find some relief from your pain soon!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I was diagnosed a while ago and seemed to do pretty good for a while. About every other week It seemed as though I had been cross contaminated and I had a little pain in my upper abdomin under my rib cage for a couple of days. Well I cut everything out except for fresh fruits, veggies, and meats and now I'm in almost CONSTANT pain. Under my ribs on both sides I get a constant aching pain, and when I drive in the car or sit/stand in one position for too long I get these stabbing pains in the same spot. The pain radiates around to my back but it stays on the sides and never goes in the middle. I'm petrified to eat now because I hurt so badly all the time. Everything I'm eating should be 100% safe, so why am I having so much pain all of the sudden? It seems to get worse with every passing day and I just can't handle much more of this. Is there something else that could be causing this pain? It's the same kind of pain I had before I found out I had celiac, so what in the world do you think may be going on?

Have you checked everything you come into contact with for gluten ingredients? Are you taking any meds or supplements that you have not checked yourself, call the companies yourself do not rely on anyone else. Be sure to read the entire label on supplements, some will add wheat or barley grass and still call the item gluten-free. For the pain have your tried taking a dose of pepto bismal, I swear by the stuff and usually one dose will relieve my pain. I get the same sort of discomfort you are referring to from CC, if you can reevaluate everything, not much fun I know but I have a feeling gluten is sneaking in there somewhere on you. If you have firmly established that CC could not be an issue then if it continues you should contact your doctor.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Once my GI tract shows signs of improvement she is suggesting that I do a cleanse.

Please, please, please use great caution with a 'cleanse'. These are not something that we normally benefit from and can be extremely dangerous for those of us with celiac. There are some of us who have been made extremely ill by these and they really have no benefit other than money for the companies that make them. Your body has ways of cleansing itself and you risk upsetting the natural flora and fauna of your digestive tract among other things.

aikiducky Apprentice

Electra, since cutting out everything else from your diet is there something in particular that you have started eating more of to compensate? Maybe you have started to eat more of something, a fruit or vegetable for example, that you happen not to digest very well, or are intolerant to.

Does the pain feel like it has to do with your digestive system? After all, at some point you might have to consider that it could be unrelated, and see a doctor...

Pauliina

Electra Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have started eating some new product and I've cut those out since I first posted this and so far I seem to be getting better. One of them was Honey Ham and I think whatever they use to flavor it may have some CC in there somewhere. According to the label it's safe, and I've eaten it before with no issues, but I'm just not convinced it's safe at this point. The other thing I added was string cheese which should be safe, but I cut it out just in case. The only other thing could be my medicine, but I've continued taking that even though I cut out the meat and cheese and I'm still feeling quite a bit better. It's also time to take my B-12 shot again but I haven't been able to get in and get my perscription filled, so I'm wondering if I may feel pain towards the end of the month when that B-12 shot wares off (not that it lasts me that long lol).

The seeds issue is interesting because I have been eating a lot more watermelon (seedless, but it has the white seeds) and Kiwi and I was just thinking that it might be the Kiwi because I hadn't had that in a few days either, and when I usually eat it my stools end up soft again HMMMMMMMMMMM interesting thought. I'll have to keep that one in mind and cut out Kiwi next if the meat and cheese doesn't work.

Thanks again for all the advise and hopefully we all feel great soon!!

chatycady Explorer

String cheese, any cheese, gives me terrible back aches and stomach pain. I thought I had a kidney stone once the pain was so sharp.

Hope you feel better now.

I doubt if it's lack of B-12. I use to blame all sorts of symptoms on lack of B-12, but now I realize it was gluten. Now I forget to take my B-12 shot, cause I have no symptoms and have lots of energy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Janeti Apprentice

WOW, I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YOU ARE FEELING THE SAME EXACT WAY THAT I DO. I HAVE BEEN GLUTEN FREE SINCE 2-07, AND AS I WRITE I STILL HAVE THE STOMACH AND RIB PAIN. I DO EAT ALOT OF NUTS, AND I WONDER IF MY STOMACH JUST CAN'T TOLERATE IT YET. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE TRIED ANYTHING NEW THAT MAYBE HAVE HELPED YOU. :)

PeggyV Apprentice

I dont know if you have had a colonoscopy, but maybe you have diverticulosis and the nuts and seeds in fruit are bothering you.

PeggyV Apprentice

I dont know if you have had a colonoscopy, but maybe you have diverticulosis and the nuts and seeds in fruit are bothering you.

jmd3 Contributor
Please, please, please use great caution with a 'cleanse'. These are not something that we normally benefit from and can be extremely dangerous for those of us with celiac. There are some of us who have been made extremely ill by these and they really have no benefit other than money for the companies that make them. Your body has ways of cleansing itself and you risk upsetting the natural flora and fauna of your digestive tract among other things.

I agree with ravenwoodglass!! Be very careful with this cleanse. I am wondering if pro-bitotics would benefit you much, much more. I take those, with the fos powder ( that feeds the good bacteria!) . My side pains have gone away....PLEASE be extra careful!!

Subhangi Newbie
WOW, I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YOU ARE FEELING THE SAME EXACT WAY THAT I DO. I HAVE BEEN GLUTEN FREE SINCE 2-07, AND AS I WRITE I STILL HAVE THE STOMACH AND RIB PAIN. I DO EAT ALOT OF NUTS, AND I WONDER IF MY STOMACH JUST CAN'T TOLERATE IT YET. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE TRIED ANYTHING NEW THAT MAYBE HAVE HELPED YOU. :)

I Have that pain as well and massive swelling all the time in that rib under the rib area..., day in day out and I've been off gluten for 2yrs. Celiac sucks!!

Sincerely Celiac Sue

Janeti Apprentice

PEGGY, DID YOU EVER NOTICE IF YOU GOT GLUTENED BY ACCIDENT, EACH TIME IT GETS WORSE?

THIS SUNDAY I HAD GLUTEN FREE PANCAKES(THEY WERE YUMMY) WITH SYRUP. THE SYRUP INGREDIENTS LOOKED HARMLESS. LATER THAT DAY, I STARTED TO FEEL THAT WAVE OF NAUSEA, AND THE NEXT DAY I WAS SO SICK. I CALLED THE FOOD COMPANY, AND SURE ENOUGH IT HAD GLUTEN IN IT. I THINK THESE COMPANIES SHOULD PLAINLY WRITE:CONTAINS GLUTEN!! BUT I JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHY IT GETS WORSE EVERY TIME YOU EAT GLUTEN.

THANKS, JANET

Archived