This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Questions About Hemirrhoids

Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge Community Regular

how do i know exactly if i have them? i explained my symptoms to my dr, and he said i did, and prescribed me first some hydrocortizone enemas (which i hated!! <_< ), then some cream to use there. the cream helps, but don't feel like it's enough. plus it was a $50 tube, which only works for a couple hrs, and i don't have the money to use it every time i hurt down there. what else works? also, my husband told me about some coworkers who used these enemas or something, i thought he said a salt, that is supposed to suck out of your colon the deposits that cause hemirrhoids-thereby reducing further outbreaks. anyone know about these? i seem to get them alot, and would like whatever i can get to help make them go away!! thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Hi there,

I had hemorrhoids once....I"ll NEVER forget it. :huh:

The only way I can describe it is - - it felt like someone had a pair of needle-nosed pliers on my anus and was twisting it ferociously. Dear gawd! Creams did nothing. Eventually, they went away on their own - - but had they/it? stayed, I would have had it lanced...that is one treatment option that works.

I'm not sure why an enema would work - - a hemorrhoid is a blood vessel with too much pressure on it and it nearly bursts, but not quite - it bulges - hence the pain. Straining to defecate really contributes. If they get too big or too painful, I would look into having them lanced.

Ouch.......... :huh:

i don't know if mine are constant, or if they come and go, but i seem to notice them most when i'm having other intestinal issues (after ingesting gluten, or something else i'm sensitive to). i feel them a couple times a month. they suck so bad!!! the enema my dr gave me was a form of hydrocortizone, but all it did was make me feel like i was on my period, except in the wrong area <_< .

the one my husband mentioned was supposedly some natural preventative that i guess reduced the chances of getting one. he says his coworkers swore by them, that they'd been hemorrhoid free for years. i'd love that!!! i'd consider the lancing, if i had $$ or insurance :(

Ridgewalker Contributor

One alternative to try for temporary relief-- Witch Hazel pads. They can be found in any drugstore and are pretty cheap. Keep them by the toilet (or in your purse, they come in a small tub) and dab the area every time you go in the bathroom. The relief is gentle and temporary, but they are helpful.

I found them very soothing to use on that whole area after the births of both my children. I also use them when I'm hurting from particularly bad bouts of diarrhea.

They might be worth a try!

Worriedwife Apprentice

Another thing to try is a sitz bath, which you can pick up at a drug store. It's a basin that sit in the toilet, with a pouch that you fill up with warm water. There is tubing that goes from the pouch to the basin, and then it sprays up into the anal area to help soothe and reduce the hemerrhoids. Its like sitting in a warm bath, except you don't have to fill up the tub. It always works for me.

Guest j_mommy

I 2nd the sitz bath!!! They are most helpful for outer or close to teh surface hemmriods though. Another option is if they get very bothersome.....you can have them removed. They surgically take them off!!!!

Phyllis28 Apprentice

In addtion to the other suggestions, you can purchase at the pharmancy a special pillow for sitting on. The pillow has a hole in the middle to help relieve the stress when sitting.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

You can also get the witch hazel pads in the form of wipes (Preparation H makes them). If you use them after every bowel movement instead of toilet paper, it will help to prevent them.

My husband's proctologist suggested this to hubby and said tp is one of the worst things for causing hemmorhiods.

Acersma Rookie

I have suffered from Hemmoroids since I was 16...over 15 years now:( I use preparation H cream, enema to help the bowel movement, the Tucks wipes instead of toilet paper. Try not to strain...easier said than done when some days you may be constipated then a few hours later have diarrehea. Sitz bath will help. Don't lift or carry anything more than 15 pounds. and if all of the above doesn't work get them cut out. When I had my daughter they were HUGE and I couldn't wipe so I used a squirt bottle from the hospital which I am sure you could get one from the drug store and I put some anti bactereial soap and water and washed that area w/ that. Good luck. I am sorry that you are dealing w/ this...they hurt!

Jody

thanks all for your ideas. feeling better today, thankfully! though i may just have to invest in those witch hazel wipes.

My husband's proctologist suggested this to hubby and said tp is one of the worst things for causing hemmorhiods.

interesting...

ravenwoodglass Mentor
i don't know if mine are constant, or if they come and go, but i seem to notice them most when i'm having other intestinal issues (after ingesting gluten, or something else i'm sensitive to). i feel them a couple times a month. they suck so bad!!! the enema my dr gave me was a form of hydrocortizone, but all it did was make me feel like i was on my period, except in the wrong area <_< .

This statement is really very telling IMHO. Do you have DH by any chance? I had problems with 'hemmies' for most of my life. For me they are caused directly by the effect of gluten leaving my body. Once I realized this, which wasn't until after diagnosis and a few good glutenings, they became much less of a concern for me. Painful yes, and I second the sitz bath for relief. The cortizone will help with the inflammation until the reaction subsides. The cortizone would also help with any internal 'blistering' or DH type reaction, ie. the awful itch when a reaction occurs but I wouldn't do anything about them as a preventative other than being gluten-free. Also with the reaction you mention from cream you should make absolutely positive that it is gluten free, gluten can be absorbed by the mucous membranes and if the cream is making you swell it may not be safe.

hathor Contributor

The suggestions about temporary relief of symptoms are all good. Believe me, I've been there frequently enough.

I think it a good idea to eat a diet high in fiber, too, and drink lots of liquids. Take magnesium supplements if necessary. Do what is necessary to have bowels that function regularly and stools that are soft. My flareups come when I'm constipated or my stools are particularly hard. This seems to be due to my food intolerances.

If people still have problem when gluten free and having fiber and liquids (regular exercise, too), they should try going off dairy. That commonly binds people up. I remember that my problems got better, albeit not cured, when I eliminated dairy a number of years ago. Every time I try to have cow's milk, the interior of my large intestine turns to concrete.

On that lovely note, I'll leave you :rolleyes:

saaa-wheat<3 Apprentice
This statement is really very telling IMHO. Do you have DH by any chance? I had problems with 'hemmies' for most of my life. For me they are caused directly by the effect of gluten leaving my body. Once I realized this, which wasn't until after diagnosis and a few good glutenings, they became much less of a concern for me. Painful yes, and I second the sitz bath for relief. The cortizone will help with the inflammation until the reaction subsides. The cortizone would also help with any internal 'blistering' or DH type reaction, ie. the awful itch when a reaction occurs but I wouldn't do anything about them as a preventative other than being gluten-free. Also with the reaction you mention from cream you should make absolutely positive that it is gluten free, gluten can be absorbed by the mucous membranes and if the cream is making you swell it may not be safe.

I have DH and even my GI doc looked at me funny when I told him that I get 'rhoids when I am glutened, so I'm glad to read that I'm not such a freak after all (I love this place).

I use generic Prep H Cooling Gel (has more medicine in it than the witch hazel wipes), sometimes a calendula ointment and always take a magnesium/cal/vitD supplement.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I have DH and even my GI doc looked at me funny when I told him that I get 'rhoids when I am glutened, so I'm glad to read that I'm not such a freak after all (I love this place).

I use generic Prep H Cooling Gel (has more medicine in it than the witch hazel wipes), sometimes a calendula ointment and always take a magnesium/cal/vitD supplement.

Actually you are not a freak at all. In more medically advanced countries they use a gluten suppository and then biopsy the rectal tissue to rule out celiac. They also are working on an oral test that works the same way. Even those without DH will have a reaction. A much more civilized method IMHO, as it means they don't poison someone for months to still risk a false negative.

i don't know if i have DH. it's not obvious if i do. the only places my skin acts funny are on my scalp (big white ugly flakes and itching constantly), and the hemmi's which i have noticed do correlate with my body reacting to a food flare up (beginning to think i might be dairy intolerant as well as celiac).

Actually you are not a freak at all. In more medically advanced countries they use a gluten suppository and then biopsy the rectal tissue to rule out celiac. They also are working on an oral test that works the same way. Even those without DH will have a reaction. A much more civilized method IMHO, as it means they don't poison someone for months to still risk a false negative.

wouldn't that be excellent?!

Archived