This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Another Newbie

gluten15

gluten15 Apprentice

Hey everyone. I was looking for some help if anyone else is in the same boat as me.

Is there anyone here who can't have gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, a lot of protein, or any sugars including fruits/most veggies/rice/potatoes, etc..

Basically do you have all of Celiac, Candida, allergies to soy/nuts/dairy/eggs , kidney trouble, and diabetes..lol.

Actually for me it's not so much the missing eating as much as keeping full and being able to eat for the reasons we are supposed to eat. I already take lots of good supplements and lucky can find many that are free of most things I need.

Basically I will be eating green veggies. I have a sensitive system as far as spicey stuff too so can't have a lot of those sort of veggies.

After doing a lot of research on the net, it's amazing that everything anyway leads back to just eating good protein and greens, but with kidney trouble..I cannot consume a lot of protein or I would be chowing down on meat and greens. I would live on wild alaskan sockeye salmon is I could afford it and I oould eat all the protein I wanted.

I'm not complaining, it's just after reading a lot of post here I see that many people have many things they have to be careful of consuming and I was wondering if anyone else understood these points.

It really is truly amazing once you start looking at everything how many things contain what, but for me just cutting out processed food and gluten isn't good enough.

If I could just follow a gluten free and glycemic index diet with all the protein I want I would be fine.

Nice to be here. Thanks in advance and I hope I made some sense.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

Hey everyone. I was looking for some help if anyone else is in the same boat as me.

Is there anyone here who can't have gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, a lot of protein, or any sugars including fruits/most veggies/rice/potatoes, etc..

Basically do you have all of Celiac, Candida, allergies to soy/nuts/dairy/eggs , kidney trouble, and diabetes..lol.

Actually for me it's not so much the missing eating as much as keeping full and being able to eat for the reasons we are supposed to eat. I already take lots of good supplements and lucky can find many that are free of most things I need.

Basically I will be eating green veggies. I have a sensitive system as far as spicey stuff too so can't have a lot of those sort of veggies.

After doing a lot of research on the net, it's amazing that everything anyway leads back to just eating good protein and greens, but with kidney trouble..I cannot consume a lot of protein or I would be chowing down on meat and greens. I would live on wild alask

YoloGx Rookie

Hi,

Good to meet you so to speak. This is a wonderful place to find people who like you have celiac, candida, multiple sensitivities and allergies.

I too have multiple allergies and have to be careful of my kidneys. Allergies in fact were what made me get pyelonephritus to begin with years ago. Inflamation led to infection. In one year I lost 1/2 of my right kidney. However by changing my diet and using both detox and kidney herbs I stopped the progressive disintigration of my kidneys. Thus I began avoidoing gluten and citrus as well as nuts etc. etc. etc. And started eating mostly a paleolithic diet after going on a simplified diet to figure out what I was and wasn't allergic to.

I too am allegic to all nuts. I use sunflower seeds. If you sprout them they are more digestible.

I have been told I should avoid soy. Eggs give me migraines.

I have had to limit my fruit and sugars mainly due to yeast/fungal issues. Is that true for you? Or is it all a blood sugar issue or allergy? Papaya seems to be the best fruit for me when I have it.

Have you tried herbs? Buchu, uva ursi, cornsilk, marshmallow root all have helped my kidneys. Marshmallow root also soothes the lining of the gut as well as the kidneys. Nattokinase or serrapeptidase will counteract a lot of the scar tissue on both fronts--the kidneys and the scarred villi. Bromelain/papain helps as well against scar tissue in both areas plus helps with digestion.

Slippery Elm might also be useful. It helps heal the lining of the gut. You can either make a porridge with it or take it in caps.

Dandelion is good for both the liver and kidneys as is burdock. Its good to alternate it one week on and one week off. The week off you can use milk thistle extract (silymarin). Yellow Dock similarly should be alternated with Oregon Grape Root. Both of which are good systemically as well as acting directily on the gut and inderectly on clearing the liver. Schizandra is also good for both the kidneys and the liver.

I suggest you look into using grains like quinoa and teff as well as amaranth in addition to using root vegetables for carbohydrates so you won't overly rely on protein for your diet. It doesn't mean you shouldn't have protein, just in balance.

I can have brown rice occasionally nowadays. And these days potatoes are OK too. Its possible this will eventually occur to you to, that your allergies will lessen over time as you get more in balance.

It is possible too that by following this hypoallergenic diet your blood sugar issues might lessen. Certainly its worth a try.

In any case good luck and welcome to the board!

happygirl Collaborator

Welcome to the board! There are others here who have multiple diet restrictions, beyond gluten, for various reasons. Best of luck!

oceangirl Collaborator

Hi Gluten 15 and Welcome!

I have spent 2 years gluten, soy, dairy, egg, nightshade, corn- free. I am now able to tolerate cheese and some milk; I've put corn back in and I eat tomatoes and red peppers again! It may take you some time, but you may be able to expand your diet once you heal.

Hang in there and good luck to you!

lisa

gfpaperdoll Rookie

I have had the same experience that oceangirl has had, I have been gluten-free for 3 1/2 years now, & wheat lite for 10 years before that & barley & oat free for 30 years. So I think that if you are totally gluten free etc for awhile you might heal up & be able to add back in some foods later.

for now I suggest baked sweet potatoes.

I am grain free (except for the occasional white corn tortilla), corn syrup free, soy free, & dairy free.

I also do not eat beef, no citrus except an orange evry once in a while, no mushrooms, no white potatoes, rice - very seldom, I have recently had a problem with rice - I started eating brown rice & it became a big no no food right away. The only bean I tolerate is homemade pinto beans - I soak & wash them well & cook at a high heat until very well done.

Find what foods work for you & buy organic whenever you can. How long have you been gluten-free?

gluten15 Apprentice

Hi thanks everyone. Actually ALL of this is very new to me. Been sick for a long time now for many reasons. Some of the diet is a have too and some of it is going to be by choice to see what else I can fix and I figure if I am going to take care, why not take care of everything because I want to feel better and find out exactly what is what.

I am a very strong determined person and once I set my mind to something..I can do it and if something makes me feel better..I have no problem doing it.

What I would like to ask since I am here and I will also take it to the allergy section..is this. I have been reading a lot about allergies and reactions..if you will. Now I have never had allergy reactions to foods such skin reactions. I have had so many internal problems that it has been hard to know what was what and what was really causing this and that..but..for me it's been more things like this happening and I was wondering if I am on the right track and if anyone else has this happen or if this makes sense..lol..

OK..has anyone here figured out they were allergic to something or couldn't tolerate it very well from these symptoms..hard to swollow..almost like a lump in the throat. Getting a sore throat after eating something. Getting very 'flemmy' in the throat if you will..after eating something. Getting a cough after eating something. Could be either dry or flemmy depending on what it was. The sore throat always seems to be there from either irritation or coughing. Or..not so much red ears..but ears itching on the inside. Some of these things can happen on their own or all at once.

Whoever thought that eating 'healthy' would make me sick. Eating tons of whole grain foods and drinking lots of barley juice. Juicing all the time with carrots as the main source.

Oh yes..the sweet potato thing..I have seen this food come up a lot as a go food. Why is this and is it ok on a candida diet low carb diet? I assume just once in a while.

Thanks again very much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

oceangirl Collaborator

Hi Gluten 15.

Did you say you're drinking lots of "BARLEY JUICE"?!!! I don't know what this is but if it's made from barley, barley is glutenous!!! No celiac can have ANY barley, wheat or rye- or oats from the U.S. I would stop that right away if I were you.

Anyway- the reaction in your throat to foods- YES! I have had similar symptoms; my sister is allergic to several foods and, yes, her ears itch inside. When I first went gluten-free I found I was sensitive to a whole host of foods, like nuts and eggs, and they would cause weird, scary reactions involving my throat or tongue. I cut them all out and gave myself time to heal before SLOWLY and one at a time putting some back in.

I can't recommend enough keeping a detailed food log of everything you eat and how you feel. I have done this for 2 and a half years and it has been immensely helpful at times. It sounds like a hard thing to do but it really isn't- it just becomes a habit at the end of the day. (Don't eat a ton so it's not hard for me to remember what I eat.) I know it may seem impossible but I work full-time in Special Ed, I'm a Mom to two teenagers, I'm in grad school and I work as a professional actor and I find a way to do this because it helps! Don't forget to give yourself a code for symptoms so they're easy to write and make a full list of your symptoms from the start so you can reference back to it.

PLEASE tell me barley juice is not barley!

Good luck to you!

lisa

gluten15 Apprentice

Oh no..trust me..I had already stopped the Barley Juice! I was just talking about how eating "healthy" ... who knew that's a huge part of what was "killing" me. I was just talking about how I have always consumed things we were told were good for us and Barley Juice was one of those things along with so many whole foods that contained whole wheat. I wouldn't say I wa a health freak..but close. So many of the greens and fiber things I WAS consuming that I thought were good for me..obviously aren't.

It basically is straight freezed dried barley that makes a barley juice. It makes a very sweet tasting green drink. Wow..I WAS downing that stuff daily. Believe me..that was one of the first things I cut cold..lol.

oceangirl Collaborator

Phew!

I'm glad to hear that!

lisa

ccrrgn Newbie

Norma

This is for the Newbies like myself here are some sites I found that seem to help me.

Phytochemicals: Nutrients Of The Future

nutritional value of garlic

nutritional value of goji berries

Search HowStuffWorks and the web:

How Goji Berries Strengthen Your Immune System

glycoscience.com

glycostory.com

I am new to G F but have been battling immune problems for a while 1982 and I think I'm winning. My sister and I worked in the same factory and we both became ill with Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia. After being practicaly dumped by P.H.D. s and treated like pond scum, we tried everything and studied every thing possible and realize nutrition was the link the Dr. left out. Nutrition and detoxifying our homes eventually lead to some improvements in our health, infact we where doing really well. This is when my Dr gave me the results of blood test with a positive to Lupus. I was happy for the name to the problem skin that I had developed. I recieved some nutritional help from a dear friend who helped me search the internet, there is a lot of trash to wade through to get to golden nuggets of info at the bottom. Unless you have some one you trust that knows all your symtoms you have to do it your self.

This site is wonderful, this way you get to share others success and we have encouragement in our failures.

I always wondered why I could not take barley green.

ccrrgn Newbie

Norma

This is for the Newbies like myself here are some sites I found that seem to help me.

glycoscience.com

glycostory.com

I am new to G F but have been battling immune problems for a while 1982 and I think I'm winning. My sister and I worked in the same factory and we both became ill with Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia. After being practicaly dumped by P.H.D. s and treated like pond scum, we tried everything and studied every thing possible and realize nutrition was the link the Dr. left out. Nutrition and detoxifying our homes eventually lead to some improvements in our health, infact we where doing really well. This is when my Dr gave me the results of blood test with a positive to Lupus. I was happy for the name to the problem skin that I had developed. I recieved some nutritional help from a dear friend who helped me search the internet, there is a lot of trash to wade through to get to golden nuggets of info at the bottom. Unless you have some one you trust that knows all your symtoms you have to do it your self.

This site is wonderful, this way you get to share others success and we have encouragement in our failures.

YoloGx Rookie
Norma

glycoscience.com

glycostory.com

As far as the internal symptoms as allergy responses I have had them all. I used to think whenever I had a sore throat it was another cold but tursn out it was just an allergy. I found that if by taking baking soda with water got rid of the symptoms that was a sure fire sign it was an allergy. I have also had DH but that was the first thing to dissappear after going off the major glutens. Nevetheless I still had other allergic responses. Additonally I also had/have mind fog and headaches as well as sometimes depression and visions if glutened or whatever. Big allergies of mine apart from the glutens by the way are carrots as well as nuts and anything fermented as well as eggs, citrus and sesame seeds. I still have itchy ears and nethers--but it seems to have to do with candida overgrowth. If I went off all fruit altogether it might go away--but its hard for me to do... Cooking the fruit however helps which makes me think its an allergy to maybe vitamin C however. Fresh Pineapple and apple for instance are better if they are cooked and horrrible otherwise.

gluten15 Apprentice

Two things touched me as I read the last two post. I have had sore throats all my life and lately I have them every single day 24/7.

This has to be allergy related.

And I will throw my hands up...I will throw both my hands up to be sick and tired of being told my doctors, friends and family that all of my symptoms are just in my head..so to speak.

Also, yes, I am finally at the point of taking all of this into my own hands. We are not told enough that it's about nurtrition and that if our digestion is messed up..so many other things will be.

I am so in the process of figuring things out right now by elimination. Granted I have just started all of this.

The net is wonderful to look things up..anything..and ask questions..such as this place.

Thanks.

YoloGx Rookie
Two things touched me as I read the last two post. I have had sore throats all my life and lately I have them every single day 24/7.

This has to be allergy related.

And I will throw my hands up...I will throw both my hands up to be sick and tired of being told my doctors, friends and family that all of my symptoms are just in my head..so to speak.

Also, yes, I am finally at the point of taking all of this into my own hands. We are not told enough that it's about nurtrition and that if our digestion is messed up..so many other things will be.

I am so in the process of figuring things out right now by elimination. Granted I have just started all of this.

The net is wonderful to look things up..anything..and ask questions..such as this place.

Thanks.

another thing that affected me a lot was my silver amalgam fillings. I had to go through getting them slowly removed. I used to always have a metallic taste in my mouth. The mercury in the fillings is highly toxic. I read just having 3 amalgam fillings reduces your immune system by 30 percent in trials done in Germany.

As far as allergies, coeliac sets us up for having multiple allergies due to creating leaky gut syndrome. The undigested protein goes into the blood stream and your body reacts to it like its a foreing invader. This then causes toxicity which is also hard on the liver. Thus detox herbs (dandelion, milk thistle, yellow dock with soothing herbs like marshmallow root etc.) are very helpful to counteract inflammation.

You can also take your pulse every 2 hours and keep a journal of what you eat and what symptoms you have. Go on the non grain paleolithic diet and slowly add an item every other day. At first eat things you don't normally eat til you feel OK. Then add the items slowly. It helps determine what is what. I found there were things I oculd have a couple of times of week but not more etc. etc.

I also read a book called the Do it Yourself Allergy Handbook years ago othat was very helpful in this regard.

Archived