Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have always taken Centrum Advanced Formula but go through phases where I get really busy and forget to take it. I am getting strict with myself where I am keeping one of those 7 day pill containers on my counter so when I eat in the morning I remember to take it.

Last year when I went gluten free and found out it could be in vitamins I called Centrum and they said that it was gluten free. Recently I have read some about how it is no longer gluten free so I called today to ask. They said that they did tests and are saying that none of their Centrum Vitamins are gluten free now.... I was surprised to hear that -- It sounded like they were saying this b/c they do not know if any of the raw ingredients came across wheat (if I understood him right).

I was going to switch over to Nature Made or go to the health food store in town and look at their selection tomorrow but wanted to ask if anyone is having a problem with Centrum Advanced Formula Multi-Vitamins? What are some other suggestions on gluten free multi-vitamins that are easy to find? I live in a small town where we have a couple grocery stores, Walgreens, WalMart and like 2-3 mom and pop type health food stores.

Thank you very much for any input :)

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

hello there.... i started using the centrum advanced formula multivitamin right around when i was diagnosed in november 07. i was taking it for a few weeks when i called wyeth to ask about a few of their products... sure enough they gave me the same story about how they were testing and couldn't guarantee that the advanced formula was gluten free. with that being said, i have no idea if i had any problems with it, as it was my first few weeks on the diet.

i CAN say that i take nature made vitamins daily (multi-complete, super b complex, advanced c and calcium + vitamin d) and haven't had any issues. i would highly recommend them.

i hope this helps. i still have the full bottle of centrum sitting in my kitchen cabinet. i should give them away or something... haha

Joe

Dx Crohn's Disease - December, 1993

Positive Blood Test - November, 2007

Positive Biopsy - December 21, 2007

Gluten Free since December 3, 2007

Crohn's Medication stopped on January 17, 2008

Join eNewsletter

I called on Centrum Silver New Formulation. They stated that they do not add gluten, but they do not test either. I have had no issues.

You can do a search here for more posts regarding Centrum.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

I just called Centrum. They have reformulated their vitamins. If you are just taking the basic Centrum old formula with 60mg of Vit C it is gluten-free. The new formulation (that actually says New Formulation on the bottle) with 90mg of Vit C is no longer guaranteed gluten-free. When I was diagnosed a month ago I went on their website to check and it said all their vitamins were gluten-free so began taking one each day. I guess I've been glutening myself every day. I am now very upset. They said I must have been looking at the Canadian website and not the American. Can they make this any more complicated? Sorry....needed to vent. Hope this info helps. The American info phone number is 1-800-322-3129 by the way.

Toni

Gluten Free - February 16, 2008

Diagnosed with positive bloodwork and biopsy.

No digestive symptoms for the past 25 years, but did have severe anemia, osteoporosis, lactose intolerance and RLS at time of diagnosis.

Join eNewsletter

I gave up on Centrum because I could never figure out if they were gluten-free!

I started taking the Kirkland (COSTCO) version of the same thing - and I believe it says gluten-free on the label, but I'm at work and can't look at bottle.

I have had some very recent low level glutening with SOMETHING, but have added a bunch of supplements from Vitacost (NSI brand) - so I was driven to read all my bottles carefully. The Kirkland, apparently passed my test. Since I have been taking the Kirkland for more than a year, I assume that was not the problem and the new stuff is.

OTC and prescription drug companies are not required to disclose allergens or source of starches (a REAL problem with "sodium starch glycolate") - so it is very hard to not get glutened from OTC's and vitamins/supplements.

I have emailed Vitacost about their own NSI brand but never got a response (not even an ackknowledgment). I may call and will post when I do.,

Franceen

Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success

Gluten-free since Dec 2005

Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months

No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

Join eNewsletter

I called on Centrum Silver New Formulation. They stated that they do not add gluten, but they do not test either. I have had no issues.

You can do a search here for more posts regarding Centrum.

UPDATE: (Called 3-14-08)

Centrum cannot certify the gluten free status of Centrum due to the Matlodextrin and Modified Food Starch. (I get the impression that the cheapest supplier of these ingredients, no matter what the source, gets the contracts)

<_<

In addition, it lists Maltodextrin on their Allergin statement on their website, IT DOES NOT LIST IT ON MY RECENTLY PURCHASED CENTRUM SILVER.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for checking, Lisa.

Toni

Gluten Free - February 16, 2008

Diagnosed with positive bloodwork and biopsy.

No digestive symptoms for the past 25 years, but did have severe anemia, osteoporosis, lactose intolerance and RLS at time of diagnosis.

Join eNewsletter

Thank you for all of the input. My Centrum is the older formula I guess b/c it has the Vitamin C 60mg and doesn't have the "new formula" on the front label. The health food store didn't have a good selection and the one that looked good had barley in it. So I am going to see if the grocery store has Nature Made if not will call Sam's Club and ask the brands they have. Worst comes to worst will order online. The WalMart here has Nature Made but not any of the multi-vitamins (I already take their Magnesium and B-Complex).

Thank you again! :)

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter