Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It feels like I am so off with my thinking and just everything in general. I guess it may be this thing called brain fog. I'm so worried it won't go away. Does it clear up when going gluten free? I'd really like my sharp thinking brain back! The fog was there before I was diagnosed so I'm not sure if it's from something else but it's hung on for months and I'm worried.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It feels like I am so off with my thinking and just everything in general. I guess it may be this thing called brain fog. I'm so worried it won't go away. Does it clear up when going gluten free? I'd really like my sharp thinking brain back! The fog was there before I was diagnosed so I'm not sure if it's from something else but it's hung on for months and I'm worried.

You will find that many among has this horrible brain fog. I had it too, but didn't even realize I went gluten free, and realized my life wasn't a daze anymore. So, I can't tell you exactly how long it took to go away, but I definitely can tell a difference. My thinking is much clearer. I'm sure others on here can give you a more specific time line, but I think it's like all the other symptoms- the worse you are the longer it takes to heal. But, it will go away. :D

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Join eNewsletter

I got a TON better mentally w/ gluten-free, but it wasn't until I was diary-free AND soy-free (bunch of other things -free also, but I think these 2 were the culprits mentally) that the brainfog completely left.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Join eNewsletter

Brain-fog is often due to bacterial overgrowth and the only way to deal with that is to get back to basics and cut out not just the gluten but dairy, sugar and most carbs.

Whilst you continue to eat complex carbohydrates in grains and starches, sugar and lactose, you continue to feed the bacteria and they will continue to give you the brain-fog.

Apart from helping to get the bacteria under control, just eating plain foods gives the gut a head-start in the healing process. The less of those foods we eat the quicker it will recover.

As I have mentioned in other posts, after just 2 months I am beginning to get a lot more energy and motivation and am much better able to focus and my sleep is improving too.

I have to keep the 'psych-ing up' going and keep telling myself that although those foods taste nice and look good, they are killing me. They are deceptively and insidiously poisoning me, and although I may want them, I don't need them. My health is worth more than a cream bun.

Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter