Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

linuxprincess

Gluten As A Growing Medium.

If mushrooms are grown in rye berries ( rye seeds, basically, not gluten-free friendly ), will the mushrooms be gluten free? I saw a thread about eating chicken that was fed oats, etc and that causing a reaction, but what about plants. Not really concerned about the meat as I don't enjoy it, but this might be a problem.

I guess the broader question is do plants transfer what they are fed and grown in to the fruit they produce thus making them the gluten-free's foe? Would this be different root vegetables? Potatoes, carrots, onions, etc?

Starting to question this after no improvement in symptoms with 4 months of gluten-free goodness.

Help from growers and vegetable enthusiasts is appreciated.

-Patricia

Celiac & Duhring Disease

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Chickens eating oats would not cause a reaction. I am not sure about the mushrooms - I highly doubt it though.

Gluten-free, Vegan

Erm no definitive answer ...

Why take the risk?

I think a black and white answer would be no but why do grapes make different wine depending on the soil and what else grows around them?

cool avatar geek :D

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

I don't think the mushrooms would be absorb it and then thus become a gluten risk but the gills under the caps and the outside of the mushroom would have a high risk of CC in my opinion. I wouldn't eat them.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Thanks for the input on this topic guys. I guess I never thought about the CC under the gills or on the outside of the fungus, but I guess that would make sense. I think I might email a professor at my college about this and see what they have to say. If I find anything more out on this topic, I'll be sure to post it for reference.

Thanks!

Patricia

-Patricia

Celiac & Duhring Disease

I wouldn't be concerned about the mushroom containing gluten, but I would make sure I washed them to avoid CC. Same with chicken. If a chicken eats oats, it metabolizes the oats and turns it into energy which in turn builds the muscle we eat. It's no longer in gluten-form.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

I wouldn't be concerned about the mushroom containing gluten, but I would make sure I washed them to avoid CC. Same with chicken. If a chicken eats oats, it metabolizes the oats and turns it into energy which in turn builds the muscle we eat. It's no longer in gluten-form.

What about the undigested food in the crop and stomach? Or even partially digested food in the intestine?

chkdigsys.jpg

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

What about the undigested food in the crop and stomach? Or even partially digested food in the intestine?

chkdigsys.jpg

I did think about this. If you're buying chicken breasts or whole chickens with the guts taken out, there *should* be no CC. But I'm not so sure that the intestines and stomach never get cut into so there's definitely a risk there. I'm not sure if there's a final washing step at the end of the process that would reduce this risk. Maybe the solution is to wash chicken ourselves? In the general scheme of things, this is a fairly low-risk area. Industrial chickens in the USA are feed mostly corn, so you'd have to have several things go wrong for there to be CC issues.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.