Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hummingbird4

How Many Of You Had To Avoid Dairy At First?

I'm two weeks into gluten-free living. I had been pretty much asymptomatic before starting gluten-free. The first week, I felt rather bloated and gassy most days, which I found rather troubling. So after 8 days, I cut out dairy to see what would happen. I do feel better now, but of course I'm hoping that dairy will be a temporary elimination, and I'll be able to eat it again soon.

Diagnosed Celiac in June 2008 by biopsy and blood tests.

DQ2.2 (HLA DQA1*0201:DQB1*0202) and DQ2.5trans (HLA DQA1*05) positive.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

After almost a year of gluten free diet I still can't tolerate lactose....

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

But some are able to eat it again within 3 or 4 months. Depends on how quickly the tips of your villi heal.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

biopsy showed a healed villy....I guess I am lactose intolerant because I am lactose intolerant and not because of celiac. ...sorry :huh: for my previous post, I had to explain more.....here it is 3 after midnight and I am really tired.....

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

During my daughter's endoscopy, they also checked for lactose intolerance. It showed that she was lactose intolerant albeit not too bad. GI doc recommended lactaid for 2 months whenever she had a large amount of dairy in a sitting. That was all we needed to do.

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

Hi, welcome to the board.

2 years after being gluten free I added in hard cheddar cheese with no problem and three years later I eat Greek yogurt every day, and can have all dairy with no problem. It may be shorter for you- everyone is different. I cook everything myself from whole foods (not the store, meaning "natural state" foods) and always bring my food with me wherever I go. You may have guessed that I am ultra-sensitive which I would never have believed before having lived it.

Patience- this takes time. Listen to your body and keep a detailed food log; that is the best advice I ever got.

good luck,

lisa

During my daughter's endoscopy, they also checked for lactose intolerance. It showed that she was lactose intolerant albeit not too bad. GI doc recommended lactaid for 2 months whenever she had a large amount of dairy in a sitting. That was all we needed to do.

How did they check for lactose intolerance during a scope? I didn't realize this was possible.

I never eliminated dairy and still eat it with no problems. I guess I was one of the lucky ones! My mum, on the other hand, has had to eliminate casein.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

How did they check for lactose intolerance during a scope? I didn't realize this was possible.

It was actually a test on one of the biopsies where they check for the enzyme to process lactose. There were four or five other enzymes that they also checked. My daughter "officially" showed no damage but she had generalized dissacharidase deficiency . . . most of her sugar processing was low . . . that was read by the GI as "hidden" damage. That along with the positive blood test got her a positive diagnosis.

I had a great link about dissacharidase defiency . . . can't find it at the moment. I'll go look and post it if I can find it.

Edit:

OK . . . might have been helpful to spell it right . . . makes it much easier to find. Here it is . . .

http://gastroresource.com/GITextbook/En/Chapter7/7-12.htm

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

I had a great link about dissacharidase defiency . . . can't find it at the moment. I'll go look and post it if I can find it.

Edit:

OK . . . might have been helpful to spell it right . . . makes it much easier to find. Here it is . . .

http://gastroresource.com/GITextbook/En/Chapter7/7-12.htm

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is a fantastic link. I'm starting month 6 gluten-free and have become increasingly frustrated about avoiding raw veggies and anything with lactose. I'm hoping I'll heal quickly, but the references in this thread to one-two-and-three years of lactose intolerance are hopefully making my expectations more realistic.

I'm two weeks into gluten-free living. I had been pretty much asymptomatic before starting gluten-free. The first week, I felt rather bloated and gassy most days, which I found rather troubling. So after 8 days, I cut out dairy to see what would happen. I do feel better now, but of course I'm hoping that dairy will be a temporary elimination, and I'll be able to eat it again soon.

yup - I had to eliminate dairy for about a year. Now, I am just starting to eat yogurt again, and cottage cheese, and all seems to be going well. There is hope! :)

It was a good 5 years for me and I can only tolerate small amounts now =/