This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

You've Got To Try This...3 Minute Chocolate Cake

RissaRoo

RissaRoo Enthusiast

I got this recipe via email from my stepmom, it called for regular flour and milk but I messed with it and came up with this gluten-free/Dairy free variation. I can't believe it!!!! Toss the ingredients in a mug, mix them up, and nuke it for 3 minutes. I thought it would be marginal at best, but it was REALLY GOOD and it seriously only took 3 minutes! One mug (I used a large mug) made enough for 2 people, easily. There was really not much difference between this and a cake baked in the oven! Three minutes to chocolate cake....Oh boy, this could be dangerous.

Chocolate Mug Cake

1 Coffee Mug

2 tablespoons rice flour

2 tablespoons tapioca flour

1/4 tsp. xanthan gum

4 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons baking cocoa

1 egg

3 tablespoons milk (rice, soy or almond...I used almond)

3 tablespoons oil

3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

Small splash of vanilla

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.

Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.

Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to share!)

:P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
purple Community Regular

I am headin for the kitchen.

Well my watts are 900.

Sharing it...I am glad no one is home. :ph34r:

Be back in a few with the results....

P.S. what a cute idea, my dd will love this at her apartment...THANKS whether it works or not!

RESULTS: Fastest cake I ever made. Very chocolatey and I love chocolate. It makes alot. I used a big, wide soup mug and had plenty of room. At 900 watts, I let it bake 3 1/2 minutes.

I am going to bag up the dry ingredients. Then when I go visit my dd I will bag up the wet ingredients and she can learn to "bake" cakes.

How fun!!! THANKS RissaRoo!

Good thing to take to work for one of those hectic days. ;)

home-based-mom Contributor
Three minutes to chocolate cake....Oh boy, this could be dangerous.

No Kidding! :lol::lol::lol:

purple Community Regular

How funny. Last night I bumped into another 3 minute mug cake recipe in a little cookbook someone gave me. It needs a big tweaking to be gluten-free and easy. You are supposed to use an electric mixer with it. Its white like an angel food cake. I never would have looked at it if you hadn't posted the chocolate mug cake recipe.

HAK1031 Enthusiast

no way!!! I can't tell you how many times I have craved chocolate and wanted a quick and easy recipe like this...now if only if were calorie free! lol

GRUMP 1 Contributor
I got this recipe via email from my stepmom, it called for regular flour and milk but I messed with it and came up with this gluten-free/Dairy free variation. I can't believe it!!!! Toss the ingredients in a mug, mix them up, and nuke it for 3 minutes. I thought it would be marginal at best, but it was REALLY GOOD and it seriously only took 3 minutes! One mug (I used a large mug) made enough for 2 people, easily. There was really not much difference between this and a cake baked in the oven! Three minutes to chocolate cake....Oh boy, this could be dangerous.

Chocolate Mug Cake

1 Coffee Mug

2 tablespoons rice flour

2 tablespoons tapioca flour

1/4 tsp. xanthan gum

4 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons baking cocoa

1 egg

3 tablespoons milk (rice, soy or almond...I used almond)

3 tablespoons oil

3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

Small splash of vanilla

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.

Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.

Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to share!)

I got this the other day also from my cousin. But the one she sent was not gluten free and was just a bit different. It called for 4 tablespoons of flour, and 4 tablespoons of baking cocoa. Other then that aside from the Xanthan gum it is the same. I made it for my wife as she is not gluten free, she loved it. So then I made one for myself gluten free. But I did not use the xanthan gum it turned out just fine. I don't think you need it because of the egg that is in it it held together fine. I also used all purpose gluten free flour. Either way I think this is a very forgiving recipe. But now I am trying to figure out how to make it with some other flavor as I am not really a chocolate person. Any one have any thoughts on this?????????

Thank you,

Grump

purple Community Regular
I got this the other day also from my cousin. But the one she sent was not gluten free and was just a bit different. It called for 4 tablespoons of flour, and 4 tablespoons of baking cocoa. Other then that aside from the Xanthan gum it is the same. I made it for my wife as she is not gluten free, she loved it. So then I made one for myself gluten free. But I did not use the xanthan gum it turned out just fine. I don't think you need it because of the egg that is in it it held together fine. I also used all purpose gluten free flour. Either way I think this is a very forgiving recipe. But now I am trying to figure out how to make it with some other flavor as I am not really a chocolate person. Any one have any thoughts on this?????????

Thank you,

Grump

I love chocolate but otherwise I was thinking the same thing.

Tweak this if you want to:

5 T. Carol's sorghum mix (sorghum, tapioca and potato starch) (maybe just use sorghum and tapioca)

1/8 tsp. xanthan gum

3 T. brown sugar (plenty sweet)

1/2 tsp. ground flax

1 egg

3 T. milk

3 T. oil

splash vanilla

The flavor was great but it rose up really huge in an oversized mug, then fell and was heavy and thick. I also put in 2 T. nestle butterscotch chips (not gluten-free!) but they melted so omit the chips. As Collette says "I made rubber" :lol:

I just googled- three minute microwave mug cake and saw lots probably all chocolate but who knows...you will have to make it gluten-free of course.

I just read on a blog to use a flour that has less protein......rice has less and sorghum has more....hmm

same blog tried it with spices instead of cocoa. Scroll a bit to find the recipe and gluten-free it. There is an eggless version too. And lots of tips/complaints.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ArtGirl Enthusiast

I can't eat egg, so this is out for me.

BUT

I was thinking that you might be able to replace the cocoa with coconut flour and maybe up the vanilla.

Also, since cocoa is a bean, you could maybe replace with bean flour and then add another flavoring.

Just a thought.

I have a friend whose grandson is in college (he's Celiac) and this would be perfect to pack up for him. One could use vanilla powder instead of extract for easier storage.

home-based-mom Contributor

If you want to plan ahead for "emergencies" :rolleyes::lol: you could mix up a larger quantity of the dry ingredients and then use as needed. Looks like 10 T (a bit less the 2/3 cup) of the mixture ought to do it!

Chrissyb Enthusiast

I wonder could you use Pamela's Baking Mix in place of the flour?

jerseyangel Proficient
If you want to plan ahead for "emergencies" :rolleyes::lol: you could mix up a larger quantity of the dry ingredients and then use as needed. Looks like 10 T (a bit less the 2/3 cup) of the mixture ought to do it!

Fantastic idea! :D This could come in very handy!!

purple Community Regular

No, I wouldn't try it. The blog I was reading said to use low protein flour and Pam's has almonds. I think the safest is white rice like RissaRoo posted. I did try a brownie version that I liked way better, no eggy taste or texture but its not gluten-free. It was easier (only 1 minute) and really gooey like hot brownies. I gotta try to convert it to gluten-free next. Read dizzy-dees blog posted earlier.

purple Community Regular

No, I wouldn't try it. The blog I was reading said to use low protein flour and Pam's has almonds. I think the safest is white rice like RissaRoo posted. I did try a "gluten" brownie version that I liked way better, no eggy taste or texture but its not gluten-free. It was easier (only 1 minute) and really gooey like hot brownies. I gotta try to convert it to gluten-free next. Read dizzy-dees blog posted earlier.

Well I just had to try it 2x and this is what I got: The first time I used tapioca and it was chewy and had too much oil + I might have cooked it a few too long.

2nd try is pretty good:

Brownie in a cup

2 T. white rice flour

2 T. potato starch

1/8 tsp. xanthan gum

2 T. baking cocoa

4 T. white sugar

1 1/2 T. veg. oil

2 T. water

Stir together dry ingredients, add wet and stir. Microwave 1 minute (to 1 1/2) , don't over cook it. It doesn't get big like the cake version.

It is much like brownies w/o the eggy texture and its egg and dairy free too. Have fun.

Tapioca flour is for chewy texture

Potato starch is for lightness

Less protein flour is for cakes

I am learning :)

ArtGirl Enthusiast
... and its egg and dairy free too. Have fun.

Thank you so much for doing the experimenting without egg. I'm definitely going to give this a try TODAY!

Chrissyb Enthusiast

I found I did have some flour to make this last night and it was yummy. I put some powdered sugar on it and shared it with my son who is not gluten free but has come to love everything I have made those far. He is always wanting what I make for myslef even though he has is own glutney foods in the house (haha).

IMWalt Contributor
no way!!! I can't tell you how many times I have craved chocolate and wanted a quick and easy recipe like this...now if only if were calorie free! lol

HAHA. I have the solution. check this out;

Open Original Shared Link

I made this bread last night and it is really good. My non-gluten-free son loves it. And the best thing is, It has no calories! Hard to believe, but just look at the nutritional information at the bottom. If you can't trust LandoLakes, who can you trust? :D:D

Walt

celiac-mommy Collaborator

YES YES YES!!!

I'm always up to a Pamela's challange :lol::lol: This is what I did:

4 TBS Pamela's

2 TBS cocoa powder

4 TBS sugar

1 egg

1 TBS oil

3 TBS milk

splash of vanilla

mix, microwave 3 minutes

It worked BEAUTIFULLY!!! I'm eating it in between typing :P

Katester Enthusiast

What an awesome idea!!! I've never heard of cake in 3 minutes. I'm definitely going to try this tonight!!! Sounds delicious!!!

celiac-mommy Collaborator
And the best thing is, It has no calories! Hard to believe, but just look at the nutritional information at the bottom. If you can't trust LandoLakes, who can you trust? :D:D

:lol::lol::lol:

This is SO my kind of cake :lol:

ArtGirl Enthusiast
Eggless Brownie in a cup

2 T. white rice flour

2 T. potato starch

1/8 tsp. xanthan gum

2 T. baking cocoa

4 T. white sugar

1 1/2 T. veg. oil

2 T. water

Stir together dry ingredients, add wet and stir. Microwave 1 minute (to 1 1/2) , don't over cook it. It doesn't get big like the cake version.

It is much like brownies w/o the eggy texture and its egg and dairy free too. Have fun.

Tapioca flour is for chewy texture

Potato starch is for lightness

Less protein flour is for cakes

I made this eggless version Purple was so kind to post.

I did sub Arrowroot flour for the potato starch.

Also, I was nearly out of white rice flour so I ended up with some white rice superfine and brown rice superfine (yes, I was scraping the bottom of the barrel for this one :rolleyes: )

And, I added 1/8 tsp. vanilla powder

I nuked it for one minute-20 seconds. It was not fully cooked but the bits that were still sort of syrupy just seemed like frosting. Next time I'll cook it a little longer.

My husband and I shared it - was so rich that half a mug was enough. But, oh, so easy! I was so very surprised that the brownie was nearly cake-like, given no egg and no levening.

sickchick Community Regular

Very cool, Rissa! :)

Katester Enthusiast

I tried this last night. Another bad baking experience. It ended up looking like a spongy cylinder. It didn't climb over the top of the mug or even touch the sides of it. It was very tough and chewy and not sweet at all. What am I doing wrong?!?! Every single gluten free dessert I've baked has turned out horrible!!!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Katester, I made this 4 times, and the 3rd time turned out the way you describe. I realized later that I'd forgotten the sugar! :rolleyes: It's also hard to mix in those mugs--you might try mixing it in a large bowl, and then scraping the batter into the mug. But that leaves an extra dish to wash.

Hey, what part of Chicago are you from? I actually went to New Trier...

purple Community Regular
Katester, I made this 4 times, and the 3rd time turned out the way you describe. I realized later that I'd forgotten the sugar! :rolleyes: It's also hard to mix in those mugs--you might try mixing it in a large bowl, and then scraping the batter into the mug. But that leaves an extra dish to wash.

Hey, what part of Chicago are you from? I actually went to New Trier...

Just making it is addictive...huh :huh::P:blink::lol:

I didn't really care about eating it, the fun was in the making and if it didn't turn out, only a little got thrown out instead of a whole cake.

purple Community Regular
I tried this last night. Another bad baking experience. It ended up looking like a spongy cylinder. It didn't climb over the top of the mug or even touch the sides of it. It was very tough and chewy and not sweet at all. What am I doing wrong?!?! Every single gluten free dessert I've baked has turned out horrible!!!

Please read some of the comments on dizzy dees web site I posted earlier....lol :lol:

What are your allergies...maybe we can put our heads together and find you a goody that will turn out???

Archived