Lz_erk

Melatronin

Rate this topic

I quit smoking about... 24 hours and forty-five minutes ago, so this ain't gonna be my smartest post. I couldn't find it on searches of the site though. Sorry if this's in the wrong section.

I have symptoms of Non-24-hour sleep/wake disorder. That's usually treated with melatonin, like DSPD. [Melatonin is also great at knocking out the irritation that comes with being awake during smokfing cessation.]

I get abdominal pains after taking melatonin, every time, and I don't feel well at all for a while after.

The hypothesis is that melatonin can give problems to people with celiac disease, but information to back it up has been difficult to obtain. At least for me at this time. :P Anyone else have this problem?

Never heard of melatonin causing problems specifically for people with celiac. Didn't cause me any problems when I took it.

richard

I haven't had any problems with melatonin either. I used to work at a vitamin store and we did sell a lot of melatonin. I never got any negative feedback. Melatonin is a hormone that the brain produces that regulates your sleep cycle so it shouldn't cause digestive upset. Could it be that the brand of melatonin that you are taking may have wheat in it?

It's been reliably causing abdominal pain. The dose was .5mg of a marked gluten-free brand of melatonin; it's a little old, but nothing in the ingredients raises any sort of suspicions from me. There might be some constipation and odd-smelling blackish stool associated also [i don't know what else could have done it]. It reminds me of the symptoms that mostly cleared up after I went gluten-free. I'm discontinuing it.

This has also been an issue for me since I look like an obvious candidate for Non-24, yet can't comfortably participate in its typical treatment: I'm glad to leave this informational footprint here even if nothing comes of it.

I quit smoking about... 24 hours and forty-five minutes ago, so this ain't gonna be my smartest post. I couldn't find it on searches of the site though. Sorry if this's in the wrong section.

I have symptoms of Non-24-hour sleep/wake disorder. That's usually treated with melatonin, like DSPD. [Melatonin is also great at knocking out the irritation that comes with being awake during smokfing cessation.]

I get abdominal pains after taking melatonin, every time, and I don't feel well at all for a while after.

The hypothesis is that melatonin can give problems to people with celiac disease, but information to back it up has been difficult to obtain. At least for me at this time. :P Anyone else have this problem?

Are you lactose intolerant?

The melatonin brand I just got from my pharmacy contains lactose, maybe yours does too.

• Upvote 1

You could try a sublingual melatonin. I just bought one a few days ago, as my chronic insomnia which had originally improved after going g.f. decided to pay me a few visits again. :angry: I like the sublingual much better than the other kind; not that the other bothered my stomach, but the sublingual works really, really, fast. Tastes good, too.

I have insomnia now and I just asked my mother in law who is an allergist about melatonin. She was adamant that I do NOT take it. She said it's bad for anybody with an autoimmune disease or any immune system problem. She's pretty good with natural stuff, so if she doesn't like something natural I generally listen to her.

You could try a sublingual melatonin. I just bought one a few days ago, as my chronic insomnia which had originally improved after going g.f. decided to pay me a few visits again. :angry: I like the sublingual much better than the other kind; not that the other bothered my stomach, but the sublingual works really, really, fast. Tastes good, too.

Please provide the brand of liquid melatonin. That sounds like a good product for me.

Thanks!

I have insomnia now and I just asked my mother in law who is an allergist about melatonin. She was adamant that I do NOT take it. She said it's bad for anybody with an autoimmune disease or any immune system problem. She's pretty good with natural stuff, so if she doesn't like something natural I generally listen to her.

I recently was diagnosed with celiac disease after 67 years of suffering with many symptoms. I too take melatonin for aromotase inhibition. It is doing a great job with no problems. Since I stopped eating gluten containing foods I can take a lot of things and get more out of them than at anytime in my life, that includes melatonin.

Please provide the brand of liquid melatonin. That sounds like a good product for me.

Thanks!

I got it at my local GNC (General Nutrition Centers) store...do they have those where you are? So of course it's the GNC brand. But lots of health food stores sell sublingual melatonin. This one I have is not a liquid, it's a very small, cherry-flavored tablet that slowly dissolves under the tongue. The label also specifies g.f.! This GNC brand sublingual comes in 1 or 3 mg., I believe. I got the 1 mg., thinking that if I needed 2 I could just take 2....I had some others that were 3 and they were just too much.

Did she say what it is about it that makes it bad for anyone with an a.i. disease? I think I remember reading other comments in this thread about it not being good for us, too....just wondering about the "why's" of it. :)

I got it at my local GNC (General Nutrition Centers) store...do they have those where you are? So of course it's the GNC brand. But lots of health food stores sell sublingual melatonin. This one I have is not a liquid, it's a very small, cherry-flavored tablet that slowly dissolves under the tongue. The label also specifies g.f.! This GNC brand sublingual comes in 1 or 3 mg., I believe. I got the 1 mg., thinking that if I needed 2 I could just take 2....I had some others that were 3 and they were just too much.

There is a GNC about 30 miles from me. Will need to make a trip over there one of these days. Thanks for the info:)

Well, melatonin's so common, you could probably find the sublingual's in any health food store, or even a pharmacy that sells vitamins, herbs, etc. But I know what it's like to have to drive 30 miles, or to the next town at least (about 12) to get certain supplements or g.f. food! Heck, my little town doesn't even have a health food store anymore! There's a couple of grocery stores with health food sections, but one only has food, no supplements (and not much g.f. food), and the one with supplements charges an arm and a leg! They're so ridiculous, it's way cheaper to drive to the next town to a Super Supplements, who are quite reasonable (unless you're buying agave nectar). The only reason I went to GNC for the melatonin was I was too tired to drive to the other place! :lol: Because for the most part, their selection (at my local one, anyway)is abysmal and most of the employees aren't too knowledgeable.