This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help, I'm Withering Away!

elle's mom

elle's mom Contributor

OK, here comes a semi-rant:

Since being on the gluten free diet (also dairy free), it has been almost 9 months, I have lost 30+ pounds. This is not a good thing, really. I was two months post-pardum when starting the diet, so I could afford to lose some, but now I am about 15 pounds below my "normal" weight. I am 5 foot and right now at about 98 pounds. I'm also nursing so that doesn't help I know. I counted my calories for a couple days because I wanted to prove to myself that I am eating enough; I was only at about 1500-1800 which with nursing is not really enough, I don't think. The thing is, I feel like I am really eating a lot, and I am following my appetite, whenever I get hungry I eat.

I always have three good meals, then 2-3 snacks. My usual snack is whole nuts by the handfuls and Lara Bars. I have a large apple with PB every morning. Lunch is usually leftovers with veggies OR a chicken or beef rice tortilla wrap with some type of beans (black or pinto) and rice, OR sometimes a chicken salad with lots of nuts (and I like bacon on it, kind of a modified cobb). Dinner we do a meat (fish, chicken, or beef, rarely pork), with either rice or potato, and 1-3 types of veggies (usually carrots, brocolli, and/or green beans). I always snack in the evening, sometimes nuts and a handful of allergen free choc. chips or some gluten-free corn chips and salsa, sometimes another apple/PB.

I am avoiding eggs, yeast, and soy too so I am limited on what other foods I can do. What else can I do? My husband says I need more carbs, but I don't want to risk cc with a lot of processed foods, I do eat whole rice and corn products though. He also says I just need to exercise and build muscle, which I know is true, but my energy level is in the tank. I've been gradually working my way into stretching and doing light weights and things like sit-ups and jumping jacks with the kids and such.

My cousin just told me last weekend, "you need to get back on the dairy or people are gonna start thinking you're anorexic!". THANKS!! I'm the farthest thing from anorexic! I take my prenatal vit still, B12, Ca/Mg/D every day; but my malabsorption number (through enterolab) was so high.......I know that is my problem. I just don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Well, you know you need to eat more, so find other foods that you'll eat. Higher fat foods are good - coconut milk in dishes (or to drink, if you can get the dairy replacement one), avocados, plenty of oil on the veggies. Eating more carbs might help, but it doesn't have to be grains - potatoes, beans, lentils.

Can you add another meal into your day, ON TOP of what you already eat?

Erin Elberson Newbie

First perhaps recheck with your doctor to see if there is another reason (besides just time to heal the gut) why you're not absorbing. That's the main thing. In the meanwhile, yes, eat more. You are correct-if you're losing weight, 1800 calories isn't meeting your maintenance needs.

Consider adding a rice or hemp protein powder/shake into your diet-liquid calories are a bit easier to consume. You can mix with almond or coconut milk to add more calories. Nut butter out the wazoo, and Tiffany's suggestions were spot on. Even make a "rice pudding" of sorts with rice and coconut milk to snack on-grab a spoonful every time you pass the fridge.

missy'smom Collaborator

I sympathize so much. I'm in a similar weight boat for differernt reasons-both health and additional dietary restrictions-I'm dairy free and have to stay very low-carb as well as multiple food allergies/intolerances. It seems that you are doing a lot right. I would suggest keeping the protein up. Protein and fats are the only ways I have of keeping my weight on and it has helped. Make sure you are getting a good serving at each meal-I get 4 0z. or 20 some grams of protein from meat alone at each meal, 4 meals a day, just to give you an example. I could stand to up it a bit too. I didn't quite believe it when a doctor recommended it but it has worked. I hear you about the exercize too that has been a challenge to me for various reasons and I've been fearful of doing things that will cause me to lose. I have chosen to take the slow and steady route and start with very very simple few exercizes at home done on a regular basis to build strength, tone and flexibility. Things like a stretching routine in the a.m. or before bed, using handweights for the arms-if I am going to have scrawny arms at least the can be toned and have little muscles-scrawny but buff!, push ups, hold and release type stomach exercizes. I pick one thing and work on consistantly doing it and then add the next and so on. It makes a difference. Now, I see that you are already doing those things-well, consider this encouragement to keep up the good fight. Maybe when you feel strong enough you could go to the Y and have them set up a 15 min. routine on 5 machines to do strength training twice a week. I tried it and enjoyed it but needed a protein packed meal after or I had problems with fatigue. Otherwise, just be patient with your body as it heals. I KNOW it's hard to hear those comments with the "A" word!

cloesb Newbie

Get your thyroid properly checked. There is a gigantic link btwn celiac and thyroid problems.

uote name='elle's mom' date='14 March 2010 - 01:21 AM' timestamp='1268544091' post='598527']

OK, here comes a semi-rant:

Since being on the gluten free diet (also dairy free), it has been almost 9 months, I have lost 30+ pounds. This is not a good thing, really. I was two months post-pardum when starting the diet, so I could afford to lose some, but now I am about 15 pounds below my "normal" weight. I am 5 foot and right now at about 98 pounds. I'm also nursing so that doesn't help I know. I counted my calories for a couple days because I wanted to prove to myself that I am eating enough; I was only at about 1500-1800 which with nursing is not really enough, I don't think. The thing is, I feel like I am really eating a lot, and I am following my appetite, whenever I get hungry I eat.

I always have three good meals, then 2-3 snacks. My usual snack is whole nuts by the handfuls and Lara Bars. I have a large apple with PB every morning. Lunch is usually leftovers with veggies OR a chicken or beef rice tortilla wrap with some type of beans (black or pinto) and rice, OR sometimes a chicken salad with lots of nuts (and I like bacon on it, kind of a modified cobb). Dinner we do a meat (fish, chicken, or beef, rarely pork), with either rice or potato, and 1-3 types of veggies (usually carrots, brocolli, and/or green beans). I always snack in the evening, sometimes nuts and a handful of allergen free choc. chips or some gluten-free corn chips and salsa, sometimes another apple/PB.

I am avoiding eggs, yeast, and soy too so I am limited on what other foods I can do. What else can I do? My husband says I need more carbs, but I don't want to risk cc with a lot of processed foods, I do eat whole rice and corn products though. He also says I just need to exercise and build muscle, which I know is true, but my energy level is in the tank. I've been gradually working my way into stretching and doing light weights and things like sit-ups and jumping jacks with the kids and such.

My cousin just told me last weekend, "you need to get back on the dairy or people are gonna start thinking you're anorexic!". THANKS!! I'm the farthest thing from anorexic! I take my prenatal vit still, B12, Ca/Mg/D every day; but my malabsorption number (through enterolab) was so high.......I know that is my problem. I just don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

AmyT Newbie

First of all, what a rude thing to say! It is so interesting to hear different reactions to the disease. However, if you are 5ft, and 98 pounds. You still fall in the normal weight range for BMI, and a little low on height weight charts.

I am in the same boat. I am 5ft4 and weighed 124 when I discovered I was gluten and dairy sensitive. I have lost 11 pounds in 8 weeks. I definitely wasn't heavy to begin with. However, I do think that this may be my "normal" weight range now. Ever since I can remember gaining weight I always felt "bloated" and puffy. I believe this was all from the disease. I am 40 years old and I believe I had it since I was a child. It came and went so I never had any consistent symptoms until last year. I never had a eating disorder, but I was always watching my what I ate so I wouldn't gain weight. Also, I never looked toned so I always looked kinds puffy.

That being said, I would eat a lot of protein, have you tried protein shakes? I eat protein 3 meals a day. I have been following Marksdailyapple.com and he promotes the primal living lifestyle, with plenty of protein, tons of fruits and veggies, so I have tons of energy. I do have grains here and there, but like you I am skittish of cc. So I either bake it myself or don't eat it.

I have a hard time eating a lot at once, so I make sure to get plenty of healthy fats as well, like avocados and seafood.

I guess that's all for now! Good luck!

Pac Apprentice

Check if you are able to digest well everything you eat - for example, nuts are full of 'healthy' fats, but not everybody is able to get that fat out of them or waists too much energy in the process, the same applies to whole-grain rice, corn, some fruits, meat...

Veggies are healthy, but if you eat too much of them, you might feel full before you actualy get enough energy and protein your body needs.

Make sure you eat enough fat - fatty fish, avocados, even the "bad" saturated fat from meats, add olive oil to your salads... If you are able to tolerate butter, melt some in every meal you make, or add some healthy oil instead.

Try eating more energy-rich food - banana instead of apple, more potatoes instead of rice, dried fruits like cranberries, raisins, fruit/nuts mixed with honey...

Consider taking some multivitamin with digestive enzymes, and probiotics. For me enzymes made a big difference, even after 6 months gluten-free.

Also remember that everybody is different and some of the advise you get might not work for you at all. I had no energy at all until I switched from "energy-full" complex carbs and "healthy fats" to no-starch, low-fibre diet full of fatty pork, eggs and full-fat dairy. So don't care too much about what others deem healthy, eat what's good for you.

Good luck.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived