This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cracked Teeth

shepgs

shepgs Apprentice

I am gluten sensitive, not celiac, if that info makes any difference here. I went to the dentist yesterday and discovered my two back lower molars are cracked. They both have enamal fillings in them. He thought it perplexing that they were both cracked. I have no evidence of teeth grinding or enamal problems. Could there be some kind of mineral problem? My enterolab test showed no problem with malabsorption. Could the gluten sensitivity still be at play here?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Yes the enamel on the teeth can be impacted. Many of us have crowns and multiple fillings. It is quite possible that your fractured teeth are related.

jerseyangel Proficient

I am gluten sensitive, not celiac, if that info makes any difference here. I went to the dentist yesterday and discovered my two back lower molars are cracked. They both have enamal fillings in them. He thought it perplexing that they were both cracked. I have no evidence of teeth grinding or enamal problems. Could there be some kind of mineral problem? My enterolab test showed no problem with malabsorption. Could the gluten sensitivity still be at play here?

Thanks!

Definitely. I have almost no tooth decay (one small filling) but have had several cracked teeth. One was a back molar that just gave way, and a couple front teeth that I have had bonded. Probably from not absorbing calcium and vitamin D properly for years....

shepgs Apprentice

That is interesting that you both encountered this as well. See, my problem is knowing where I fit into the celiac vs. gluten sensitivity thing. I tend to think that because I don't have celiac, I'm not exactly sure what applies to me when I read about sensitivity in general. If I didn't show a positive test result for the ttg and malabsorption, could I still have a problem with that somehow?

I don't want to try to link everything to gluten sensitivity, but I also don't want to ignore it if I need to be aware of residual damage.

Somebody please help me sort this out. :huh: Thanks!

Wolicki Enthusiast

I tend to look at it his way. Gluten intolerance is just a baby case of Celiac. either way, the effects are very damaging to the body, including the teeth. My teeth were a mess because of Celiac. I just had two crowns and a filling today, left over from pre gluten free days. Hoping that I won't need anything but cleanings for a while!

chasbari Apprentice

Ran out of my Cal Mag Zinc D supplement several weeks ago... Seemed to have stabilized my teeth while on it.. until today when a huge chuck of yet another molar broke off. My teeth have been a mess most of my life... most likely as a result of the nutritional consequences of celiac. My dentist was at a total loss and would always blame my poor dental hygiene and wouldn't believe me when I told him I brush and floss several times a day. He as much as called me a liar! So many amalgams and fractures I am about ready to have them all yanked out.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

That is interesting that you both encountered this as well. See, my problem is knowing where I fit into the celiac vs. gluten sensitivity thing. I tend to think that because I don't have celiac, I'm not exactly sure what applies to me when I read about sensitivity in general. If I didn't show a positive test result for the ttg and malabsorption, could I still have a problem with that somehow?

I don't want to try to link everything to gluten sensitivity, but I also don't want to ignore it if I need to be aware of residual damage.

Somebody please help me sort this out. :huh: Thanks!

There are many that consider celiac and gluten intolerance to be the same thing just as a diagnosis of DH is also a diagnosis of celiac, even without villi damage. Some of us will suffer neuro or skin issues or other problems like liver or thyroid impact before gut symptoms become apparent. You have antibody reactions from both and the need to be strictly gluten free is the same.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

newgfcali Rookie

Shep~ you and I are similar being double DQ1, non-celiac gluten sensitive. No malabsorbtion, no anti-ttg but anti-gliadin positive. I just had some blood work to test for vitamin and mineral deficiencies and my vitamin D was WAY low. Since D plus calcium is what our bones need, that may be your problem, too. You might want to have your vitamin/mineral levels checked and supplement if they're low.

Even though we don't have detectable malabsorbtion problems, we may have other things going on due to the gluten intolerance. (Like maybe your sister and father with neuropathy?)

You're right... it's difficult to sort out what the gluten sensitivity is causing vs. some other problem at work. Just keep after it and don't give up looking for answers.

shepgs Apprentice

Thanks to all for your replies! I think I will check into having my D levels checked. I haven't actally seen a doctor about my gluten issues, so maybe that would be good, as far as checking some levels.

Also good reminders that GS is as vital to treat as celiac. This is good timing, as I just got results for my oldest son, which was positive, mildly but still positive. All I have to do when I doubt is look at family history that I DO NOT want to repeat!

Thanks, again!

PrincessHungry Newbie

Holy, holy crap. This makes perfect sense! I've had sensitive teeth my whole life. My mom had soft teeth, her mom had soft teeth...I was also on antibiotics for 8 years as a kid which made my soft teeth even more soft. I've always had bad teeth (multiple root canals, lots of cavities as a kid) but have recently (within the last few years) been working on flossing and brushing. I floss almost every day, sometimes twice a day and brush twice a day. I still have so much plaque! I've had the same crown/root canal worked on three times and its acting up again! Honestly, it seems about every 6 months I go back for the same tooth. With all the random food allergies I've been having lately, I didn't even think about how that would affect my teeth.

I've been gluten-free since August 09 and have eliminated a lot of other food trying to figure out what else is going on so I know I'm not getting enough vitamins and minerals. A recent blood test showed super low D, not sure about calcium.

This post was so helpful! Thank you so much! Other than increasing my Vit D and calcium, what any other suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
Terrified Mom Newbie

This is a big eye opener for me. Wow. My 3 year old had a cavity filled last summer and me? Yea, let's not even go there. :(

• 3 weeks later...
gleegan Rookie

I am really glad I stumbled upon this thread. I too have been freaking out because my teeth are cracking and I'm losing enamel from them as well. I had no idea it was related to Celiac, but it makes sense. Also, I'm a vegetarian, who has a problem digesting milk AND leafy greens when not pulverized in the blender, so I'm sure I'm extremely low on calcium and non-existent on vitamin D. I'm going to order the calcium/vit D supplements from Kirkman's Lab and in the meantime have started eating fish again out of desperation.

To those of you with this problem, do you think your calcium/D levels were partly low because you weren't eating/drinking enough of them in your diet? Or is it more than that - a total problem with malabsorption? I'm wondering if ultimately it is possible to not use supplements or if your experience is that it's the only way to go with this problem.

Also, does anyone know if there is such a thing as a nutritional (for lack of a better word) dentist, who would be more sensitive to the problems of people like us? And if so, do you know how to find a dentist like this (maybe there is an organization? Probably wishful thinking, but...)?

Thanks in advance...

Archived