This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Udi's Bread!

Monklady123

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

This thread has me wanting a grilled cheese. I'm eating low-lactose cheddar cheese on a rice cake for breakfast and it's not satisfying the craving. Now I will have to search out this Udi's bread.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BethM55 Enthusiast

Yes and YES to Udi's bread! :D I asked the owner of my local healthy foods store to stock it, and he did. Others must be buying it too, as he seems to order more each time. I just picked up 4 loaves of the whole grain version to restock my freezer. I also gave in to hunger and temptation and bought the blueberry muffins. I think the lemon muffins are better.

I still want to try baking gluten-free yeast bread, but having the Udi's available has toned down my enthusiasm. The Udi's is expensive, though.

If your local store doesn't carry Udi's, ask. You might just receive!

Tina B Apprentice

I really wish the sold Udi's here in Canada! Though, as for Glutino products, there english muffins are pretty good. I haven't found a bread I like yet here in Canada (though I agree Glutino Harvest Cornbread is the best we've got) so I use these english muffins instead of bread for toast.

I agree on the english muffins. I like them and they work good for burgers on the grill. I like the bagels too. Good toasted with lox and cream cheese. Sometimes I cut out the middle because they are too fat.

Nor-TX Enthusiast

I like the Udi bread but if you get the chance to buy Katz Gluten Free bread you will be amazed. Their Challah bread is soft and moist, sweet and nutty. It has a texture like banana bread. I love to just eat it with some dairy free margarine without toasting it. It makes outstanding fresh sandwiches. Because it isn't sold in north Dallas I order it online.

Open Original Shared Link

If you go to their website, you can get a free sample case. Their large Challah buns are great for hamburgers or I make portabello burgers.

I do love the Udi bagels and buy 6 packages at a time and keep them in the freezer. I take one or two bagels out at a time and put them into individual baggies for the next day. They are excellent toasted or plain. All I say is thank goodness for these two companies otherwise I'm not sure how I would get through this diet. They open so many possibilties for meals.

Monklady123 Collaborator

I like the Udi bread but if you get the chance to buy Katz Gluten Free bread you will be amazed. Their Challah bread is soft and moist, sweet and nutty. It has a texture like banana bread. I love to just eat it with some dairy free margarine without toasting it. It makes outstanding fresh sandwiches. Because it isn't sold in north Dallas I order it online.

If you go to their website, you can get a free sample case. Their large Challah buns are great for hamburgers or I make portabello burgers.

I do love the Udi bagels and buy 6 packages at a time and keep them in the freezer. I take one or two bagels out at a time and put them into individual baggies for the next day. They are excellent toasted or plain. All I say is thank goodness for these two companies otherwise I'm not sure how I would get through this diet. They open so many possibilties for meals.

Yes! I did request the free sample from Katz! Can't wait till it gets here. :) I agree, I'm so thankful for Udi's. The other night I served spaghetti and garlic bread to my family. I cooked Tinkyada pasta for myself, and toasted two slices of udi's with butter and garlic powder and had some yummy garlic bread. :)

BethM55 Enthusiast

Thank you. I just ordered their sample case (shipping is pretty pricey... but oh, well!). I suspect they aren't in stores in California yet, (at least not within 100 miles of me) but if I like their products, I'll see if I can persuade the owner of my favorite local healthy foods store to order it. He did that with Udi's and now can't keep it in stock, it's so popular. I may just be becoming the gluten free goodies ambassador for my town! :lol:

It'll be fun to get the Katz's box next week.

Happy Friday!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Anyone that can not find Udi's or Katz bread in their local health food store should be sure to put in an oral and written request for these items to their store. Most stores are happy to order a new product for their customers.

That is how I got Udi's bread in my area. My town is less than 3000 people. One of my local grocery stores is starting to carry gluten free items and they now have Udi's because I kept asking. And the local health food store, 20 miles away now carries it. Anytime I see gluten free products in a regular grocery store I aways ask to speak to the manager to tell them I'm glad to see gluten free products. If they do not hear from people they will not carry these products. Speak up please.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BethM55 Enthusiast

Yes, what Ahorsesoul said! I agree wholeheartedly. We must be our own advocates, praise and purchase when the products we need are made available. I've been able to develop a nice relationship with the owner of the Good Health store in my town, and will continue to buy my gluten-free products from him rather than the big chain grocery store, to show my support and respect. I believe in voting with my wallet.

Monklady123 Collaborator

Good idea. I'll do that next time I'm in my regular grocery store. I think I'll even ask Whole Foods if they can carry the Katz breads. They already have a pretty good selection, but variety is a good thing. :) (and my regular store doesn't carry any kind of gluten-free bread so Udi's there would be great.)

polarbearscooby Explorer

I went to my 'gluten-free' store yesterday and they told me they sold a whole case of Udi's in a day! They have ordered more and expect it to arrive Monday, I got the last two loaves :) Yay me

The Glutenator Contributor

Does anyone know if they can sell Udi's in Canada? I know due to differences in packaging regulations, they can't always sell American products here.

BethM55 Enthusiast

Does anyone know if they can sell Udi's in Canada? I know due to differences in packaging regulations, they can't always sell American products here.

You probably need to check on their website. If they don't sell in Canada, they might make whatever changes they need to do, to expand their business.

bridgetm Enthusiast

Luckily I wandered into a store full of Udi lovers who recommended it right away when I said I was new. I have since found it in the freezer cases of a few local grocers (though they don't restock often, apparently not in high demand in my neighborhood) so I don't always have to go 20 miles to the gluten-free store (Tailor Made Nutrition in Woodbury, MN; great place, great staff). One time the Udi's shelves were absolutely empty and I joined a throng of women looking longingly at the corner of the store which is the main reason we all go there. Then one of the cashiers came out of the back room with an armful of bread. I never thought I would be so happy to see a loaf of bread.

Unfortunately I go to school in Mankato and couldn't find it anywhere down there. The only bread I could find for a reasonable price (as in under $6 per loaf) bounced on the floor when it slipped from my hand; it immediately went back on the shelf and I went breadless until I could get home to restock.

The whole-grain is great for sandwiches. I usually pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds or so to soften it up and, if it's been sitting in the fridge for a while, restore some moisture. The white is great for french toast (I think it holds the egg better than the whole-grain) or just warmed up with a bit of butter.

macocha Contributor

my son likes udi's bread too.

there is a bakery here in Washington that has a fantabulous bread too. they sell at a gluten-free store I shop at. He likes that bread too!

He does not like Udi's pizza shells though.

BethM55 Enthusiast

my son likes udi's bread too.

there is a bakery here in Washington that has a fantabulous bread too. they sell at a gluten-free store I shop at. He likes that bread too!

He does not like Udi's pizza shells though.

When we visited friends in Bellingham, they took us to a bakery in either Bellingham or Fairfield that thoroughly cleans the bakery, then bakes gluten free breads and other things on Wednesdays. The bread was good, but the scones were wonderful! Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the bakery, but can ask my friends when I talk to them next.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Luckily I wandered into a store full of Udi lovers who recommended it right away when I said I was new. I have since found it in the freezer cases of a few local grocers (though they don't restock often, apparently not in high demand in my neighborhood) so I don't always have to go 20 miles to the gluten-free store (Tailor Made Nutrition in Woodbury, MN; great place, great staff).

Don't forget to look at Kowalski's. I know the one in Stillwater carries Udi's so I would think the other stores can order it. I'm also trying to get them to carry Against the Grain products. And if you ever want to go a little further, try Fresh & Natural in Hudson for gluten free items.

Darn210 Enthusiast

The only bread I could find for a reasonable price (as in under $6 per loaf) bounced on the floor when it slipped from my hand; it immediately went back on the shelf and I went breadless until I could get home to restock.

Hey . . . bouncing is not so bad . . . it's when it makes a dent or cracks the tile, that's when it's a problem . . . :P

Jaxita Newbie

Omigosh, isn't Udi's just a slice of heaven? I was SO happy to find it, after I too gagged on that nasty rice bread at Trader Joe's (I just can't handle a loaf of bread that weighs as much as a brick..blech). My son cracked up at me the first morning I had a slice; I sat there sniffing it with a blissful smile on my face, & while eating it, repeated over and over 'look! I'm eating bread!'..he thought it was hilarious. :)

Speaking of bread, I got a gluten-free white sandwich bread mix at Whole Foods, I think it's Glutino, & it wasn't bad; since it said 'follow your bread machine's manufacturer's instructions' and I've not had those instructions for 5 years or more, I baked it in the oven instead, & it's pretty good! A little denser/heavier than the Udi's white (but nothing like that rice bread), but bigger slices, & it was only $3 something for the box; I'll probably keep both in the house so I can alternate, since spending $5 for a tiny loaf of Udi's bread is going to add up fast.

nickim Newbie

I really wish the sold Udi's here in Canada! Though, as for Glutino products, there english muffins are pretty good. I haven't found a bread I like yet here in Canada (though I agree Glutino Harvest Cornbread is the best we've got) so I use these english muffins instead of bread for toast.

UDI's has its own website and you can order it online.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Anyone that can not find Udi's or Katz bread in their local health food store should be sure to put in an oral and written request for these items to their store. Most stores are happy to order a new product for their customers.

That is how I got Udi's bread in my area. My town is less than 3000 people. One of my local grocery stores is starting to carry gluten free items and they now have Udi's because I kept asking. And the local health food store, 20 miles away now carries it. Anytime I see gluten free products in a regular grocery store I aways ask to speak to the manager to tell them I'm glad to see gluten free products. If they do not hear from people they will not carry these products. Speak up please.

I completely agree! I recently got stopped in a grocery store and asked to do a survey about my satisfaction on various things (customer service to product quality). At the end of the survey I was asked is there anything else that the store could do to improve or to make me shop there more. I told the lady I wish they had more gluten free products, because while this store has a great selection of organics and fresh produce they don't carry very many gluten free items. I told her how their main competitor has an aisle label gluten free. She wrote it down, so hopefully it will get back to corporate and they may pay attention and stock more items. My store with gluten free items doesn't have a great produce section and my store with a great produce section (where I did the survey) doesn't have many gluten free specialty items. Between going to these stores and the various International markets in the area I sometimes feel like I have to run all over town to do my shopping.

SoFLO Newbie

I'm definitely making at stop at my Whole Foods when I get back in town next week! Can't wait to try Udi's :)

kayo Explorer

I tried a different Whole Foods and they had Udi's! I was feeling hopeful because I saw they carried Udi's granola. This was a WF out in the burbs and I have to say the way they organized their gluten-free items was awesome. It was so well organized. The one I typically go to which is in a city has the gluten-free items all mixed in with the regular items. Well no wonder it takes me forever to shop.

I bought the Udi's white sandwich bread and noticed they had the whole gran and they also had muffins. They had a quite a good selection and some brands I haven't seen before. Well worth the drive.

I'll be trying it tomorrow.

bridgetm Enthusiast

Don't forget to look at Kowalski's. I know the one in Stillwater carries Udi's so I would think the other stores can order it. I'm also trying to get them to carry Against the Grain products. And if you ever want to go a little further, try Fresh & Natural in Hudson for gluten free items.

Thanks for the tip :) I always forget to look at Kowalski's (I always come out of there with more than I need so I try not to explore too much), but with your tip in mind I wandered a bit more last time and found it!

The co-op in downtown Stillwater also carries it and sometimes they have their muffins (Amazing!). The lunch counter there also offers gluten-free bread for their made-to-order sandwiches (I think they usually use Udi's). I always get the Ben Franklin (turkey, avocado, tomato, lettuce, mustard and onion). It's $5.99 and doesn't come with a side but they pile on the meat and veggies and it's totally worth it. Just be sure to remind them to make it carefully; one of the workers makes the gluten-free orders on a separate, clean counter without being asked but you have to watch some of the younger employees.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

The co-op in downtown Stillwater also carries it and sometimes they have their muffins (Amazing!). The lunch counter there also offers gluten-free bread for their made-to-order sandwiches (I think they usually use Udi's). I always get the Ben Franklin (turkey, avocado, tomato, lettuce, mustard and onion). It's $5.99 and doesn't come with a side but they pile on the meat and veggies and it's totally worth it. Just be sure to remind them to make it carefully; one of the workers makes the gluten-free orders on a separate, clean counter without being asked but you have to watch some of the younger employees.

I've never even thought of seeing if River Market's deli could make a sandwich. Thanks! I'll be sure to keep an eye on them.

• 3 weeks later...
dbfooddude Newbie

Not sure where you are located. Udi's will be in Whole Foods, Capers, Nature's Fare, Save-On-Foods ...all BC Based. Organza in Winnipeg carries. Whole Foods Penticton carries Udi's as well. It will be in the Ontario market in 4-6 weeks...first natural food markets, then supermarkets.

Archived