Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GFreeMO

Hot Cocoa, Cocoa Powder Question

I have read that Hershey's may or may not be safe. I am wanting to make hot cocoa at home using Hershey's cocoa powder and milk. They have a recipe on the can. The ingredients listed is just cocoa and nothing else. I understand that a lot of their so called gluten free candy has made a lot of people sick. Is there any reason that this may contain any gluten from CC?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I use Hershey's cocoa powder for everything chocolate. No problems here...

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

I successfully use Hershey's cocoa in my hot chocolate with no problems. A little cocoa, sugar and milk or water makes the most delicious hot cocoa! I think since the cocoa isn't being processed into anything it doesn't get the cross contamination that could happen if it were going on equipment that processes wheat.

There are many Hershey's products that are just fine. The issues tend to be with multiple use machines. I have no issues with Hershey's standard size candy bars, nor the cocoa (or chocholate chips). They report these to be gluten-free. They are well informed if you call customer service.