zus888

Do Most People Challenge The gluten-free Diet?

Rate this topic

I'm wondering if I should do this, and if I do, how do I go about doing it? I mean, should I just take a little bite of wheat bread and continue on with my gluten-free diet to challenge it? It would give me some idea as to my sensitivity if I only have a little bit. Or should I go whole hog and eat gads of gluten-filled foods? I don't want to choose foods high in fat or sugar because I don't want to confuse what might be causing any GI issues, should I have any. I want to be sure I know that it's gluten I'm reacting to, and not an overdose of fats and sugars. My gluten-free diet will likely consist of more natural foods, as opposed to processed ones.

And, how long should I wait to do the challenge? 3 months? 6 months?

If you have been gluten free long enough to heal a bit and see some resolution in your symptoms the best way to challenge is with a single ingredient item. My doctor had me challenge by eating the food 3 times a day for a week or until symptoms reappear whichever comes sooner. I used cream of wheat, plain.

We challenged my son. Did it after 1 year gluten free, for a little under 2 weeks only, because he started having symptoms pretty quickly.

Yeah, I'd say go with a single food if you do challenge - a single food that has nothing you haven't been eating before the challenge.

But my son was the only one we had diagnosed by symptoms, too. The rest of us had tests that were positive, and we didn't challenge.

I didn't have to challenge gluten because gluten "challenged" me. I knew I got sick from cross contamination and every time I accidentally ate something with gluten (think of newbie mistakes) I got very ill.

If you are like me one bite of anything with wheat will do it.

Let us know how it goes.

I have no desire to challenge with gluten because I had a positive antibody test and a great response to the gluten-free diet. Plus, I had an unofficial challenge by accidentally eating wheat pasta at a restaurant, so I can verify that symptoms come back if I eat gluten. I don't think everyone challenges with gluten.

I went gluten-free the day of my biopsy. You couldn't pay me enough to challenge it!

I confess to being thrilled with the challenge! ;) I have had no symptoms that I have noticed (which may change, of course, as I am off gluten longer) so I was pleased to eat tons of gluten for three months although I knew at the same time that internal damage was being done, whether I could feel it or not. I had lots of gluten and did not feel any worse whatsoever so I was saddened to find post biopsy that celiac disease was indeed confirmed. (I had been gluten-free for five months prior to this and was incredibly stringent, avoiding going out to eat for the most part, calling and emailing companies, changing toothpaste and lipstick, and so on. Our house was gluten-free to avoid CC as well.) What a shock it was feeling so good on gluten, pigging out on lovely breads and such, to go off gluten and feeling no different. Yet. But I still know that I am preventing future problems. It still could be saving my life! :D

I confess to being thrilled with the challenge! ;) I have had no symptoms that I have noticed (which may change, of course, as I am off gluten longer) so I was pleased to eat tons of gluten for three months although I knew at the same time that internal damage was being done, whether I could feel it or not. I had lots of gluten and did not feel any worse whatsoever so I was saddened to find post biopsy that celiac disease was indeed confirmed. (I had been gluten-free for five months prior to this and was incredibly stringent, avoiding going out to eat for the most part, calling and emailing companies, changing toothpaste and lipstick, and so on. Our house was gluten-free to avoid CC as well.) What a shock it was feeling so good on gluten, pigging out on lovely breads and such, to go off gluten and feeling no different. Yet. But I still know that I am preventing future problems. It still could be saving my life! :D

I actually fear not being able to tell the difference. I want to notice a huge difference in energy at the very least. On the other hand, it is nice to not have such harsh reactions if cross-contaminated or otherwise glutened. I am not so sure I would be able to be so stringent without some physical reason for doing so. If I don't notice a difference, I can't imagine not just having one little sweet roll. Unfortunately, it's a VERY slippery slope. If I give in to one little sweet roll, it'll turn into a gluten-filled diet in no time.

I actually fear not being able to tell the difference. I want to notice a huge difference in energy at the very least. On the other hand, it is nice to not have such harsh reactions if cross-contaminated or otherwise glutened. I am not so sure I would be able to be so stringent without some physical reason for doing so. If I don't notice a difference, I can't imagine not just having one little sweet roll. Unfortunately, it's a VERY slippery slope. If I give in to one little sweet roll, it'll turn into a gluten-filled diet in no time.

I can totally relate. I fear it, too, especially when eating out. It is one reason I avoid eating out much (thankfully I LOVE cooking!) because I just do not know. Because I generally feel so well it almost seems silly to avoid gluten in one tiny corner of my brain but of course I imagine my scope pictures the surgeon showed to me with all the flat villi. It is difficult psychologically for me. :(

No. Symptoms or no. I have a disease that requires me to not eat gluten for the rest of my life. In my eyes, it's really just that simple. Cheating isn't an option.

The doctor that we saw for a second opinion when my daughter was first diagnosed wanted us to challenge her after she had been gluten free for 6 months. He wanted us to challenge her for two months (with a repeat blood test) or until symptoms came back, which ever was shortest. I was planning on challenging because I was in major denial about the whole diagnosis. I was going to wait longer than the 6 months though.

Like some of the others above, we had an accidental challenge. At school she use to be able to get their (corn) tortilla chips but the vendor changed and they were no longer just corn. Both wheat and oat flour were in the ingredient list which I found out by visiting the school after she got off the bus looking like something the cat dragged in. Challenge over. It took one item at one meal.

No. Symptoms or no. I have a disease that requires me to not eat gluten for the rest of my life. In my eyes, it's really just that simple. Cheating isn't an option.

Although as I mentioned above I have no symptoms I will never, ever cheat. Ever. Even though I like what I see out and about. I am absolutely adamant on that point. :D