glutenfreemamax2

Why Even Have A Gluten-Free Menu?!

Rate this topic

We went to applebees last night. I explained to the waitress I have an allery, asked her to notify the kitchen, etc. I ordered off the gluten-free menu. I ate my (tasteless) dinner. Sure enough, 3 am, sick as a dog. If they don't understNd cc, then why have a gluten-free menu?!?

My poor lo is of course sick as well ( exclusive breastfed)

They had chips and salsa on the gluten-free menu. I questioned all of it. The manager assures me it's fine. As I was eating it I asked the waitress, and she said they fry everything in the same fryer, even the chips. So who knows if it was that, or the chicken, or potatoes. My stomach is so inflamed it hurts to touch it :-(. I say this EVERY time I eat out, but I'm going to say it again.... I refuse to eat out!!!

Sorry you are feeeling bad. I remember when they first announced the gluten-free menu. It said at the bottom that they use the same fryers and some other nonsense. Couldn't get the website to give me the menu right now. The basic conclusion is that they have items that are gluten-free until they get thier hands on them & cook them.

They aren't certified by one of the organizations that certify restuaraunts gluten-free. I remember that your hub is a bit of a bully but you are going to have to stand up for yourself and your kids!

Got it now:

On the on-line menu -this is right at the top. It looks like it might be a copy of the actual menu.

As America

• Upvote 1

I don't mean to be cruel or unsympathetic, but the time to ask about the fryer is BEFORE you eat anything. This is one of the areas most restaurant people will not even think about, so it is up to you. In addition, it appears that the menu even says the fryer is shared.

Applebees is most definitely not one of the places I would eat.

ricahrd

I've also seen shared fryer foods listed on a gluten-free menu. I try to educate the restaurant and of course I never eat anything from deep fat fryers unless they're dedicated for potatoes (which is very rare).

Yes, avoid Applebee's. The way they handle their "gluten-free menu" shows that they don't understand it or how it is used or how it affects customers. I had a similar experience. Just because they have a list of items on line that are gluten-free doesn't mean the restaurant staff knows their butt from a hole in a donut.

I would *never* eat at Applebees. They are clueless and the food comes in frozen anyway. It's not even good.

With so many other choices, why would anyone go to Applebee's? On the site Roadfood, they are refered to as Crapplebee. The food, gluten-free or not , is just not good.

I've sworn off that place. Last time I had a salad and a bunless burger that the manager assured me he cooked personally on foil and still got sick. :(

It's true that their food is all pre-made and frozen. The manager said ground beef for burgers is the only thing they get in fresh! Everything else is pre-packaged. If I'm going to eat a TV dinner I'll do so at home for $4!