Rate this topic

You know how sometimes its says maize (from corn) but most time it doesn't say where its from. I always thought maize was corn, but then I was reading through the coeliac societies handbook and it say we shouldn't eat any maize :o is that true? If it is I have been glutening myself over and over!!

You know how sometimes its says maize (from corn) but most time it doesn't say where its from. I always thought maize was corn, but then I was reading through the coeliac societies handbook and it say we shouldn't eat any maize :o is that true? If it is I have been glutening myself over and over!!

Maize is corn.

I am with Lisa....

as far as I know, maize is corn.

no worries.

Thats what I thought - so why would our coeliac society say not to eat it? I am confused - I think I may ring and ask them!

Thanks for your help!!

Thats what I thought - so why would our coeliac society say not to eat it? I am confused - I think I may ring and ask them!

Thanks for your help!!

Beebs--let us know what they say!

Some interesting reading: http://www.news.wisc.edu/11476

In a recent paper published in the journal Science, the team presented analysis indicating that 2 to 4 percent of the genes in the maize genome experienced artificial selection.

Meaning? That 2-4 percent were genetically selected by the ancients for propagation of crops = artificial selection?

In a recent paper published in the journal Science, the team presented analysis indicating that 2 to 4 percent of the genes in the maize genome experienced artificial selection.

Meaning? That 2-4 percent were genetically selected by the ancients for propagation of crops = artificial selection?

Sorry, Lisa - missed your reply. From that MOST authoritative source :P, Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_selection

Artificial selection (or selective breeding) describes intentional breeding for certain traits, or combination of traits. The term was utilized by Charles Darwin in contrast to natural selection, in which the differential reproduction of organisms with certain traits is attributed to improved survival or reproductive ability (

I have used maize and have had no issues.