This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

I Had Hoped To Never Return To This Place

zus888

IrishHeart Veteran

So did he do a scraping?

It's only necessary when the doc cannot distinguish it from other rashes.

If both docs say it's shingles, it's probably shingles. :(

We could speculate all day long whether or not resuming the gluten was the catalyst for it, the point is, it's here now.

SUZANNA---With the addition of antivirals--- and I believe you said antibiotics as well??-- into your system--I hope you take some probiotics as well to help out your gut.

Autoimmune diseases run in packs....this thing may have erupted from chronic stress and a compromised system. Reintroducing gluten has not done you any favors, IMHO.

Having to wait a few weeks before procedures is a very good idea. Again, IMHO. Your body is run down apparently and an active virus needs to be treated.

I still do not understand why you are doing this gluten-challenge right now, after being gluten-free for so many months, but like everything else you do in your life, it's your decision.

Rest up & Good luck.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
zus888 Contributor

Nope. He was sure of it based on looking at it and hearing my history. I did explain that I have celiac and have been eating gluten and that perhaps that the rash is DH. But he was adamant and completely confident that it is shingles.

On another note, my thyroid is watched closely - every 6 weeks I am tested. I was hyPERthyroid for a little bit, but none of my symptoms were relieved (constantly cold, forgetful to the point of being unable to remember to take my meds which is unusual for me, fatigued).

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Nope. He was sure of it based on looking at it and hearing my history. I did explain that I have celiac and have been eating gluten and that perhaps that the rash is DH. But he was adamant and completely confident that it is shingles.

On another note, my thyroid is watched closely - every 6 weeks I am tested. I was hyPERthyroid for a little bit, but none of my symptoms were relieved (constantly cold, forgetful to the point of being unable to remember to take my meds which is unusual for me, fatigued).

If you are satisfied with a dx without a scraping, that's up to you.

I would have forced the scraping since so much hinges on the dx (scheduled surgery )and you want further proof of Celiac if applicable.

Gemini Experienced

If you are satisfied with a dx without a scraping, that's up to you.

I would have forced the scraping since so much hinges on the dx (scheduled surgery )and you want further proof of Celiac if applicable.

You do not need a smear or scraping for the diagnosis of shingles...only if, like IrishHeart said, it's hard to distinguish from other rashes. Shingles only ever appears on one side of the body...not on both sides at once so that's a huge clue. You can also run fevers with it since it is a virus. Other rashes do not usually come with fevers. You cannot have surgery if you have an active rash on your body. It needs to heal. I know it can be annoying to have to wait but you cannot heal well from surgery with a possible virus or something else going on.

domesticactivist Collaborator

This is VERY interesting. I HAVE decided to get back on the diet, but just not yet. And I am probably going to try to focus on whole foods in general, as opposed to the processed foods. I figure, if I'm going to diet for my health, I might as well go all the way. Processed foods can be something I eat as a treat or on rare occasions, but not as a regular thing. It might be a good time for a life-change. I just have to get to the point where I'm ready to do it.

YES!!! <3

IrishHeart Veteran

from herpes zoster clinic.

"It is not clear what prompts the virus to reactivate or "awaken" in healthy people. A temporary weakness in immunity (the body's ability to fight infection) may allow the virus to multiply and move along nerve fibers toward the skin. Although children can get shingles, it is more common in people over the age 50. Illness, trauma and stress may also trigger a shingles attack.

People with a weakened immunity for any reason are more prone to develop shingles. They are also more likely to have a serious form of it.

How is Shingles diagnosed?

The diagnosis is based on the way the blisters look and a history of pain before the rash on one side of the body. The dermatologist may scrape skin cells from a blister onto a glass slide for examination. The glass slide is then examined under a microscope for changes characteristic of zoster. If there is any doubt, blister fluid containing virus can be sent to the laboratory for special testing."

Just FYI :)

Marilyn R Community Regular

Interesting. I have been plagued by the herpes virus since I was 16 years old. I've always wondered if it was from sharing lipstick with a friend (still rememeber her name) or my Aunt Crystal (she had it too). For the first time in well over three years I felt like I was getting a herpes sore on my lip. I applied ice twice, then took am anti-anxiety medication. The sore never appeared, and I slept like a log. The silver lining in the sow's ear appears too be that we never get sick from common illnessess. Our defense system is up to British Standards. I think the anti-anxiety medication simmered my system down, don't use it often but was happy with the outcome this time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived