Rate this topic

I'm a newbie to the forums as well as my diagnosis (1 month now). Celiac.com has been a life saver for me, so first of all THANKS!!!! for this site.

So, my question: Is there a saltine cracker that is gluten free? I've tried a couple of crackers, but they are pretty bland.

Thanks in advance for any input!!

I'm a newbie to the forums as well as my diagnosis (1 month now). Celiac.com has been a life saver for me, so first of all THANKS!!!! for this site.

So, my question: Is there a saltine cracker that is gluten free? I've tried a couple of crackers, but they are pretty bland.

Thanks in advance for any input!!

I have never seen a saltine like cracker, but Glutino crackers are pretty good. They're more like a Ritz and come in various flavors.

Oh, where are my manners...Welcome! :D

Hello and welcome!

I have tried a few brands of crackers (some are just awful :P ) and I have to agree with Lisa--the Glutinos are the best so far.

Hub's aunt was here for Christmas Eve and ate them with cheese, etc. and said "What kind of crackers are these? I like them a LOT!" :)

I told her the name and said, "You know they are gluten-free, right?" (she knows I have Celiac) and she said, "That's okay--now, where can I get them??"

:)

I have never seen a saltine like cracker, but Glutino crackers are pretty good. They're more like a Ritz and come in various flavors.

Oh, where are my manners...Welcome! :D

Thanks Lisa! I'll give them a try!

Hello and welcome!

I have tried a few brands of crackers (some are just awful :P ) and I have to agree with Lisa--the Glutinos are the best so far.

Hub's aunt was here for Christmas Eve and ate them with cheese, etc. and said "What kind of crackers are these? I like them a LOT!" :)

I told her the name and said, "You know they are gluten-free, right?" (she knows I have Celiac) and she said, "That's okay--now, where can I get them??"

:)

Thanks IrishHeart! Two positive replies....I will certainly give them a try. :rolleyes:

Yuck, I hate glutino crackers. I found Schar table crackers and they are almost like a cross between a butter cracker and a saltine. They do crumble easy and don't have a lot of salt on them. That aside, they work good for cheese and crackers and I use them as cracker crumbs for breading shrimp and fish. YUMMY!

Yuck, I hate glutino crackers. I found Schar table crackers and they are almost like a cross between a butter cracker and a saltine. They do crumble easy and don't have a lot of salt on them. That aside, they work good for cheese and crackers and I use them as cracker crumbs for breading shrimp and fish. YUMMY!

:lol:

well, there you are. To each her own, I guess.

Frankly, NONE of the crackers taste that great to me, I just used the lesser of all evils when I needed to serve some cheese to guests. :lol:

Blue Diamond Nut Thins for me. I'd eat them even if I didn't have celiac.

richard

richard

thank you, Richard! I will give those a try.

I found recipes for three different crackers on www.glutenfreeonashoestring.com

They look good but I haven't made them yet. There is a ritz type, saltine and a cheese. I was thinking I would make them this weekend.

Anyone made them yet?

Oh and Crunchmaster! Those are are really good. I found them at my regular store.

Here is the link for them so you can see what they look like. http://www.crunchmaster.com/ppccoupon.aspx?gclid=CKTWvv-ZtK0CFQlwhwodcxicsQ

Hope posting these links is ok. If not, please let me know IH.

Have a good day.

yes, that kind of link is okee dokee ;)

I prefer the Glutino also. :) The Schars are too crumbly -- if you try to spread anything on them they disintegrate. :( I think they'd be good if you need crumbs for anything though.

The Crunchmaster are also good, but I like those plain. If it's cheese and crackers that I want then I go with Glutino.

richard

I forgot about those. I love them! It is easy to down a whole box in one sitting if I'm not paying attention.

As I haven't found any commercial crackers I like I make my own simply by using some gluten-free pizza dough, rolling it very thin, drizzle with good olive oil, sprinkle with rosemary and fleur de sel and voila! Break into shards after baking. I have only tried this with homemade dough so cannot say whether it works with bought pizza crust mixes - don't see why not! By making my own I control what goes into them. Not only that but you can easily make the flavours you want. Last time I added flaxseed, too.

I forgot about those. I love them! It is easy to down a whole box in one sitting if I'm not paying attention.

Ditto - the less salt sea salts are my fave. Same with those dang Crunchmaster 3 cheese!

It really is a matter of preference, but like some I do not like the Glutino crackers, but love the Schar brand. They do crumble if you are not careful. I usually cut some cheese up and just set it on top so it's not really an issue. But if you were going to use a spread you probably should use another brand. I like Crunchmasters too but that is not like a saltine at all.