Sieben

How Long Did It Take You To Feel Better?

Rate this topic

12 members have voted

1. 1. How long did it take for you to notice significant improvemenet after going gluten-free?

2. 2. Do you do anything else on top of gluten-free?

• Dairy free
    • Grain free
    • Nightshade free
    • Paleo/Primal
    • Low carb
    • Vitamin megadosing
    • I just do gluten-free

People seem willing to volunteer this information, but it would be cool to have it all in one place.

For some of us this will be a hard poll to answer. My D, depression and migraines were gone within about a week but joint pain and stiffness, muscle pain, ataxia took much longer to resolve. Like closer to six months. I would still have occasional issues when I thought I might be glutened but it turned out to be a sensitivity to soy. I do have some damage that will never resolve completely because I took so long to get a diagnosis. Most days though I am pain free at least gut wise.

I was very ill for quite some time and I had dozens of symptoms, so this question is very difficult to answer without clarification.

Some symptoms resolved within 10-11 months, (most of the gastro and dermatological issues resolved by then as well as the anemias (B-12, folate, iron) and blurry vision, burning mouth and burning GI tract, etc. stopped.

I was also soy and dairy free --except for using ghee-- and I used digestive enzymes and probiotics religiously.

More symptoms resolved with 18 months (the neurological (ataxia, parasthesia, burning nerve pain) and endocrine system symptoms are mostly gone. Thyroid is functioning normally, blood sugars are normal. No more bladder, kidney or liver issues. Vitamin levels (D, K) are restored. ) Long term insomnia has resolved for the most part. Hair is growing back in. I gained weight (I had lost 90 lbs.) I have more energy. I feel "like me" again.

But I still suffer significant joint, muscle and tendon pain, some parasthesia and weakness. I am in Physical and massage therapy and work hard at rehabbing. Bone density was affected. We'll see what happens.

I am patient. It will come. :)

I am only 4 days in to being gluten-free and of course I don't expect to feel 100% already, but I did vote for 1-2 days because my biggest symptom complaint is gone already.

My biggest troubles were/are stomach issues, brain fog, watery and itchy eyes, runny nose, nasal/ear/jaw aches, headaches and irritability. So far, my brain fog and sinus/head issues are non-existant, but thats because I feel those pains within 20-30 mins of eating gluten and it takes several hours to "clear" for me. Since I havent eaten any, I havent had problems.

My stomach is still wonky, but I expect that to take a little while.

I wasn't someone who was seriously ill, and I feel for the people who are. I think I happened to catch it before I DID get very ill, as my symptoms got progressivly worse over the last 2 years. I think had I waited, I would have ended up really, really sick before I knew what was wrong.

All of my GI issues resolved in 3 weeks. All other issues are on "wait and see" status.

I noticed after about a month that my GI symptoms had more or less cleared up. I also realized I could think again. I never told my doctor that I felt like the whole world was surreal or that I felt detatched from it because I didn't want to end up in a psych ward somewhere. Anyway, that's what got better.

I have noticed as time goes on I have more days where I wake up feeling like I was hit by a truck than by a train, which is technically an improvement. It is certainly no way to live. Some days I'm still so physically sensitive that the lightest touch will having me wincing in pain and sometimes even crying. I have muscle spasms and tics that are annoying and cramps that can be debilitating. I get migrating pain with no known cause. I still have significant and very painful swelling in my left leg made worse by any type of activity.

Sure, I feel a lot better. Sadly that hasn't gotten me far and I still generally feel like crap, although I do now realize there is a light at the end of the tunnel even if I can't see it yet.

I'm also exclusively gluten free. Frankly, if it weren't for a confirmed diagnosis I doubt I would have even considered trying gluten free. I've cut my dairy consupmtion considerably, I do about 1/4 or maybe 1/3 of what I used to and am counting that as a win so far. The more time passes the more I suspect an issue with it but am sort of just hoping at this point that it'll pass as I heal and keep slowing scaling back.