This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Should I Bother With Getting Tested?

TeresaB

TeresaB Newbie

Hello!

I am just wondering if I should even bother with getting tested. I started getting very ill a few times to the point of vomiting after eating wheat. I googled all my symptoms and decided to try going gluten free to see if I would start feeling better. I have been gluten free for 3 weeks now (although I have been accidentally glutened twice!) and I can't believe the difference!

I am 43 years old and was feeling so tired ALL the time it was pathetic. I constantly had achy legs, to the point of punching them just to make them feel better. ( not sure if that makes any sense) I had infertility issues in my 20's/30's and was diagnosed with PCO's. Luckily I have 2 beautiful daughters. I had severe gas every time I would eat. I have had a problem with memory loss and migraines!

Right now I am fighting my way through an accidental glutening and experiencing nausea, headache, constipation and fatigue!:-( this is day 2 and the last time this happened it lasted 3 days!:-(

I am just wondering if I need to go through the actual testing or not.

My favorite symptom to lose is my achy legs which when I would see my doctor about them, she told me that I was carrying my toxins there! Now I know my toxin is gluten! I truly feel like I have been poisoning myself!!!

I am also overweight in my mid section and I am hoping this will help shed some of that.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

T

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MitziG Enthusiast

Well, if you want to get tested, you have to go back to eating gluten NOW, and probably continue eating it for several months before you can be tested.

And then it may still be negative. You may have non-celiac gluten intolerance, not celiac.

Obviously, you know gluten is a problem for you- do you need a dr to agree with you?

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

Hello!

I am just wondering if I should even bother with getting tested. I started getting very ill a few times to the point of vomiting after eating wheat. I googled all my symptoms and decided to try going gluten free to see if I would start feeling better. I have been gluten free for 3 weeks now (although I have been accidentally glutened twice!) and I can't believe the difference!

I am 43 years old and was feeling so tired ALL the time it was pathetic. I constantly had achy legs, to the point of punching them just to make them feel better. ( not sure if that makes any sense) I had infertility issues in my 20's/30's and was diagnosed with PCO's. Luckily I have 2 beautiful daughters. I had severe gas every time I would eat. I have had a problem with memory loss and migraines!

Right now I am fighting my way through an accidental glutening and experiencing nausea, headache, constipation and fatigue!:-( this is day 2 and the last time this happened it lasted 3 days!:-(

I am just wondering if I need to go through the actual testing or not.

My favorite symptom to lose is my achy legs which when I would see my doctor about them, she told me that I was carrying my toxins there! Now I know my toxin is gluten! I truly feel like I have been poisoning myself!!!

I am also overweight in my mid section and I am hoping this will help shed some of that.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

T

That I think is a very hard question. I myself am undergoing testing in large because I feel many of the members in my immediate family exhibit possible signs of celiac but maybe wouldnt accept their risk even if i were diagnosed.

Because it has a clear genetic link, your daughters could be at risk. You may find getting tested not worth your while (as far as you're concerned) because you will more than likely recognize symptoms of gluten intolerance in your girls. I will however remind you that not everyones symptoms are the same and damage can occur before seeing obvious symptoms.

Simply in regards to your health, it maybe helpful to know whether you are celiac if you are concerned about what possible damage has been done and for future preventative care for commonly caused health issues. and for doctors to maybe take you seriously the rest of your life when you are having problems :o Good Luck!

banjos Newbie

hi there. i had the blood test panel done and it came back mildly positive but my endoscopy was negative. i have responded so well to being gluten free and have been glutened twice since going gluten-free and it is awful. my symptoms last about three days as well.

so basically for me i am not diagnosed as having celiac but i know that i simply cannot eat any gluten at all. i basically feel like i went through all of the testing for them to say that i don't have the disease but yet here i am thriving on being gluten free (and getting violently ill when i have eaten gluten) so that is enough for me to never eat it again.

in hindsight, i personally don't think i could handle going back on gluten just to get the testing done. but that is definitely something you have to decide for yourself. i would maybe opt for the genetic testing if possible instead of going through the trouble of eating gluten again for months on end.

good luck!

Archived