Rate this topic

I'm new to the gluten free diet and struggling to find ice creams I enjoy that are gluten free.

Any suggestions???

I was looking for some ice cream recently, and had a struggle to find one that didn't have corn syrup! Ben & Jerry's to the rescue! I got some B&J's vanilla heath bar ice cream, even though there's a couple items I usually avoid (soy, carageenan) it's really good. It doesn't specifically say it's gluten-free, but I didn't have any bad reactions to it.

To the OP, Jordan,

Corn syrup is gluten free. Don't let that post worry you. Most ice creams are gluten free , read the ingredients. Obviously ones with Oreos or Kit Kats are not gluten-free. Look out for malt or barley malt, too.

Ice cream should not be a struggle at all. As kareng said, you're almost universally OK as long as you avoid the obvious stuff -- cookies, cake and so forth. A very few ice creams do have barley malt, but I've always found it listed.

richard

I don't have any issues with my usual brands, the big one being Ben & Jerry's. Their website (if I remember correctly) says that while they don't have a list of gluten free flavors they will clearly list allergens on the labels. I haven't had any reactions to it yet. I do specifically remember though that they said ingredients will change occasionally so read every label, every time. (Which we should be doing anyway.)

I DO have a problem with corn as well as gluten and soy. Some Ben and Jerry's works for me, particularly pistashio, now that I can eat those delightful things again. I also eat Hagen Daz. The chocolate seems to give me trouble, but I can eat their vanilla. I also absolutely LOVE Starbucks plain coffee ice cream. (Most coffe ice creams taste like coffe syrup. Starbucks tastes like a really good cup of coffee.) And lately, my very favorite is Blue Bunny All Natural Vanilla. It has the most velvety texture! SOOOOOOO GOOOOOD!!!

Strangely when I was in Venice last November and then again two weeks ago most gelato was NOT gluten free. Whenever I asked, they refused to serve it to me. In fact, they even showed me the list of ingredients and more often then not, sure enough - the label said "gluten". I was quite surprised, actually. Just something to note in case others travel to Italy soon. In Canada, however, I have found most to be safe. But it just does not compare to gelato! :( And I will never forget what THAT tastes like.

I found that Turkey Hill Natural, Perry lists if it is gluten-free on the label and Wegman's Brand. Also, there is a nice ice cream maker on the market that is very easy to use called Hamilton Beech 1/2 pint ice cream maker. This way there is no worry about what is in your ice creams because you make it yourself. They can be found at Target and Walmart. Hope this helps you.

My favorite is Breyers vanilla. The ingredients are beautifully simple.

Personally I'll settle for Haagen-Dazs vanilla any day! It contains exactly 5 ingredients and no gums whatsoever. It is so dense and creamy, not airy and fluffy like some ice creams. Thankfully I don't buy it often. tongue.gif

Yes! Hagen Daz IS dense. It is very filling compared to other brands. And I love the flavor. But I alternate between that and the Blue Bunny All Natural vanilla because the texture is truly velvety. It isn't as strong a vanilla flavor, but I just can't stop eating it.

So usually I have both in the freezer and I do the Hagen Daz for breakfast, and the Blue Bunny at night. For some reason being able to eat ice cream makes all the other food restrictions easy. I never feel deprived.