This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Think I've Been Oatened!

love2travel

love2travel Mentor

I was anticipating the day certified gluten-free oats could be re-introduced into my diet. Well, the big day was Thursday. It was exciting! Thrilling, even. My celiac diagnosis was 16 months ago. But yesterday I knew something weird was going on. My personality changed. I feel sort of ill (not a big deal). Walking into things. Stumbling. Intense forgetfulness. There is no chance of my being glutened - the only thing different in my diet was the oats. The neurological symptoms are more alarming than feeling ill. Oh, and rash between all my fingers that looks like eczema.

Dumb oats. Ah, well. It is not as though oats are vital or necessary to our diet! I haven't really missed them for 16 months so I won't miss 'em again. ;)

I had not felt ill from gluten in the past but imagine I now have a pretty good idea what it is like. :angry:

Not a vent or anything - it just goes to show how things change! Oatenings are just not all that fun. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mateto Enthusiast

I'm so sorry!

I know other people who can't tolerate oats either...feel better soon.

sora Community Regular

Yuk, hope you feel better soon.

Make sure you don't leave the stove on :) that's what I usually do.

ciamarie Rookie

A new term in the celiac disease vocabulary! Oatenings... I hope you feel better soon!

love2travel Mentor

Yuk, hope you feel better soon.

Make sure you don't leave the stove on :) that's what I usually do.

I've checked and double checked. Thanks for that! I'm putting kitchen things away in the wrong spots - it is so very weird. I walked smack dab into our couch and it is not even in the way. Not sure how that one happened...

love2travel Mentor

A new term in the celiac disease vocabulary! Oatenings... I hope you feel better soon!

It doesn't roll off the tongue quite like "glutened" but it works! :P

Roda Rising Star

Sorry you are feeling bad. Watch out of oat CC. It wasn't like when I actually ate the oats with an instant reaction, but it slowly built up and one day, then for 8 stinking months I was miserable. I am pretty careful where I source my gluten free ingredients calling and making sure there is no chance of oat CC. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Victoria6102 Contributor

Are there any big brands who's gluten free products may be contaminated with "gluten free oats"? I have had a rash on my fingers which the doctor said was eczema but none of the prescription creams are working! I know i react to gluten free oats, so now I'm wondering if something possibly may be contaminated with oats :P thanks...

And hope you get well soon, love2travel!

Roda Rising Star

Are there any big brands who's gluten free products may be contaminated with "gluten free oats"? I have had a rash on my fingers which the doctor said was eczema but none of the prescription creams are working! I know i react to gluten free oats, so now I'm wondering if something possibly may be contaminated with oats :P thanks...

And hope you get well soon, love2travel!

Yes there is. Here is a link to a topic I started on it.

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm so sorry the oats not only didn't work out but caused you so much distress :( I am sensitive to oats also, and have to watch out for even pure oat cross contamination. Feel better!

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I get "oatened" too. I like the term. I also need to watch out for cross contamination from oats.

Takala Enthusiast
"Oatenings"

I love it. :P:D:lol:

Sorry about the reaction.

love2travel Mentor

I'm so sorry the oats not only didn't work out but caused you so much distress :( I am sensitive to oats also, and have to watch out for even pure oat cross contamination. Feel better!

Thanks! I'm not quite as bad today. I'm functioning quite well. It is disconcerting when you suddenly forget simple tasks. I forgot to lock the front door of the house before leaving this morning!

The oats were certified gluten free. So long, oats! At least for now. I do not feel that bad about it because in comparison to many of you, I got off easy only having to avoid gluten and some cheeses.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Maybe it should be "avenined."

Archived