This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help...does Anyone Have Swollen Glands On The Back Of Their Neck?

DBRIDGEVEGAS

DBRIDGEVEGAS Rookie

Hello... I have a swollen gland on the back of my neck that seems to fluctuate whenever I get glutened. I want to know if anyone else has this problem... It causes me a lot of pain and frustration... I take pain killers, but they only slightly work. Also...How long did it take for any of you to fully heal your immune system after you went gluten-free? Thanks!

Dustin

gluten-free since August 06'

Brother is a diagnosed celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Hi Dustin, and welcome to this board. I used to get swollen, terribly painful glands in the back of my neck ALL the time. Since I've been gluten-free I have had that problem only when glutened (or having been 'poisoned' by something else I'm intolerant to). In fact, now that I think of it, I used to have swollen glands behind my ears and under my chin constantly, too, and almost never get those now, either.

So, be patient, it takes a while to heal. It took a while for my glands to stop being swollen and painful, definitely a few months.

JenKuz Explorer

I find this fascinating. I actually went to the doctor when I was in college, because I thought the large knots on the back of my neck were a tumor. He laughed me out of his office, saying "They're just lymph nodes." (And then my mom called his office to berate him for laughing at a young girl who is trying to be responsible about her health--Go, Mom!). All I could say was, "But they hurt. Why are they swollen? If they're "just lymph nodes," then why have they been like this for four years?" Of course he had no answers.

I can still feel those two, behind my right ear, though they eventually stopped causing me any pain. If they go away altogether when I'm gluten-free, I'm throwing them a bon voyage party, and then I'm going to rejoice in finally finding out what's wrong with me!

I find this fascinating. I actually went to the doctor when I was in college, because I thought the large knots on the back of my neck were a tumor. He laughed me out of his office, saying "They're just lymph nodes." (And then my mom called his office to berate him for laughing at a young girl who is trying to be responsible about her health--Go, Mom!). All I could say was, "But they hurt. Why are they swollen? If they're "just lymph nodes," then why have they been like this for four years?" Of course he had no answers.

I can still feel those two, behind my right ear, though they eventually stopped causing me any pain. If they go away altogether when I'm gluten-free, I'm throwing them a bon voyage party, and then I'm going to rejoice in finally finding out what's wrong with me!

DBRIDGEVEGAS Rookie
Hi Dustin, and welcome to this board. I used to get swollen, terribly painful glands in the back of my neck ALL the time. Since I've been gluten-free I have had that problem only when glutened (or having been 'poisoned' by something else I'm intolerant to). In fact, now that I think of it, I used to have swollen glands behind my ears and under my chin constantly, too, and almost never get those now, either.

So, be patient, it takes a while to heal. It took a while for my glands to stop being swollen and painful, definitely a few months.

Thank you so much Ursula...I was starting to think I was crazy... every doctor I have seen just dismisses it and tells me that swollen nodes aren't the cause of my neck pain. Did get sick a lot when you were on gluten... It seems like I was sick every other week last year...

Ursa Major Collaborator
Thank you so much Ursula...I was starting to think I was crazy... every doctor I have seen just dismisses it and tells me that swollen nodes aren't the cause of my neck pain. Did get sick a lot when you were on gluten... It seems like I was sick every other week last year...

Yes, I was also getting sick a lot. And your doctors were being stupid. I find that swollen lymph nodes can be excrutiatingly painful! I am so glad mine aren't like that anymore. And I hope that yours get better soon as well.

covsooze Enthusiast

Hey jen! Iw as in college too when i first discovered a swollen gland on my neck and I too thought tumour :o luckily, a room mate was able to calm me down and explain what it was. turned out I had mono. ever since then, that gland has come up quite regularly when I'm run down, or even for no apparent reason. The heamatologist just said I must have a low grade infection, Another dr said it didn't mean anything. I think it has started subsiding now I am gluten-free - hopefully once I've sorted my other intolerances it will only swell when I have 'normal' illnesses!

jerseyangel Proficient

I used to get swolen glands in my neck quite often pre gluten-free. Mine weren't in the back of my neck, they were behind my ears or down under my jawline. They were sometimes painful--and I felt sick all over with them.

In the 14+ months I've been on the gluten-free diet, I haven't had them once.

Susie--I like your new picture, how nice to see you! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JenKuz Explorer
Hey jen! Iw as in college too when i first discovered a swollen gland on my neck and I too thought tumour :o luckily, a room mate was able to calm me down and explain what it was. turned out I had mono. ever since then, that gland has come up quite regularly when I'm run down, or even for no apparent reason. The heamatologist just said I must have a low grade infection, Another dr said it didn't mean anything. I think it has started subsiding now I am gluten-free - hopefully once I've sorted my other intolerances it will only swell when I have 'normal' illnesses!

Hey, it's kind of cool, though. Like a gluten barometer!

megzmc3611 Rookie
Hey, it's kind of cool, though. Like a gluten barometer!

I think it really is! I never had swollen lymph nodes in my neck before being diagnosed with celiac. I have been following the gluten-free diet for 2 and a half years. My blood tests have been coming back fine over the last year.

Well about a month and a half ago I felt a couple of swollen lymph nodes in my neck and was feeling pretty awful all the time. Headaches, extreme fatigue, a bit of a sore throat. Not so terrible that I could not work, function, etc....but enough to know that something was not right with me! I went to the doctors twice testing for mono, strep throat and getting blood tests. There was nothing "apparently wrong" with me. Well a month later...still not feeling great and still noticing the lymph nodes in my neck. Just so happens it was time for my 6 month follow-up blood test with my GI. He called me a week later that my blood levels were slightly elevated and that I must be getting gluten from somewhere.

So now it makes sense....I must have been getting some source of gluten..causing an auto-immune reaction and ultimately the swollen lymph nodes and the other symptoms.

Not that I am a doctor, but it seems to make sense to me!

gfp Enthusiast

Yes.... and right NOW.....

ouch.....

and I hdn't really thought but I think you are correct and this is due to my glutening.....

honeybuzzed Rookie

I am sooooooooo soooooooo glad that other ppl have this :D ... I get it not only on my neck but my whole body where there is lymph glands. My Doctor looked at me like I was NUTS when I told them about it ... I have gotten so bad that my husband can't even hug me sometimes ! The Docs had no answers and didn't believe me when I talked about how painful it can be ! Mine swell when I accidentally eat gluten as well. I have a friend who is into the natural side of medicine and she has gotten me into the infrared saunas and they totally help me when I get like that ! I didn't think it would help me as much as it did.

Archived