This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Another "female Issues" Thread

ohsotired

ohsotired Enthusiast

I didn't want to hijack Ashley's thread, so I'm starting a new one. I'm experiencing some extreme weirdness with my cycle this month, and I'm wondering if any of you ladies can relate at all.

Since going gluten free, all the signs that say "Aunt Flo is coming" (irritability, breast tenderness, lower backache) seem to have gone away. Not necessarily a bad thing, but Aunt Flo has snuck up on me a couple of times, so I started keeping track on a calendar. She was visiting pretty regularly every 28-30 days.

I should have started my most recent cycle on or around January 5th. Aunt Flo finally came a callin' on January 17th - 12 days late. I was more than a little relieved to have her visit, as I was ready to go buy a pg test.

After a couple of days of nothing more than spotting (typically how my period starts out, and then progresses to 'feel like I'm bleeding to death' for about 4 days, then back to spotting til the 9th or 10th day, then done til the next month) - NOTHING. For a day and a half. Then more spotting for a couple of days. Then NOTHING for a couple more days. Then what seemed to be fairly normal bleeding, and slowing/stopping - or so I thought. Then one more day later, it's like a tidal wave almost. With more clotting than I've ever experienced.

(Sorry this is so graphic!)

And here I am - DAY 23 of bleeding (to include the few days of nothing early on).

This has been the strangest period I have EVER experienced, and I'm a little freaked out that something serious is going on. I'm feeling fatigued (moreso than usual) and have been a little light headed a few times over the past couple of days. I'm concerned I might be becoming anemic.

I've had no cramping or back aches, and only slight breast tenderness that started last weekend (2 weeks in). Historically, my periods have always been on the heavier side, and almost always last right around 10 days.

I have an appt with a gyn on Monday, but I just thought I'd see if anyone has had this happen - if maybe it could be related to my body still trying to regulate itself on this diet?

I'm praying that there's nothing seriously wrong, and that this isn't how it's going to be from here on out........

If you've read all this - thank you! I would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Is it possible you're nearing menopause? Are you close to the age your mom was when she went through menopause?

maile Newbie

this may seem like an odd question but have you lost a lot of weight lately? last year I was on a Very Low Calorie Diet (Dr monitored) and change in cycles can be an issue. it seems that when you lose a lot of fat quickly it alters the levels of estrogen in your system (estrogen can be stored in fat) which affects your cycles.

another thought is about going gluten free, my cycles have been wonky for the past 2-3 years, coming every 12-14 days. Last year when on the VLCD I dropped all grains and my cycle went back to every 24 days (which it had been for years), start adding back in the grains and I was back to every 2 weeks until last month which is when I was able to get gluten-free.

not sure how it's all tied in but my experience says for me that no gluten = regular but how or why I haven't the foggiest

ohsotired Enthusiast
Is it possible you're nearing menopause? Are you close to the age your mom was when she went through menopause?

Hmmm.....possibly. I'm 34. I think my mother was in her early 40s when she started menopause. If that's what this is, then I'm possibly in for a loooooong and crazy ride. My husband will no doubt divorce me before it's over! LOL (My mother endured menopause for almost 10 years before feeling any kind of relief of symptoms. :( )

this may seem like an odd question but have you lost a lot of weight lately?

Quite the contrary - I lost a bunch all at once several years ago, and am just starting to put it back on. (5' 1" tall, and currently weigh about 112 - the most I've weighed in a loooong time)

As for the 'no gluten' theory.....I'm 99% positive that everything I've consumed recently is gluten free. Of course it's that 1% that could be getting me. I haven't felt any of my usual symptoms of a glutening though.

curiousgeorge Rookie

Could you have been pregnant? It almost sounds like a miscarriage, especially with the lateness, spotting and then the clotting

ohsotired Enthusiast

I had considered this possibility as well. I had a miscarriage twelve years ago, and this seems to share some similarities to that except for one thing - I had EXCRUCIATING cramping when I miscarried. I also didn't bleed for this long back then.

Still.........think I'll be asking the doc about that......

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I think you are doing the right thing by seeing your doctor on Monday. IMHO the chance of this being gluten related is really slim and you are very young for it to be related to perimenopause. Let us know what happens at the doctors okay?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ohsotired Enthusiast

ravenwoodglass - I'm afraid you are right........I will let you know what happens.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

My PMS symptoms went way down after I went gluten free. I used to get really irritable and irrational, and now I sometimes don't even know it is coming. Also my flow went way down. I read somewhere that PMS and heavy periods can be associated with celiac. I am also 49 so it could be menopause.. My mother died at 47 after going through chemotherapy induced menopause so I don't know when to expect it.

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

Initially my PMS got better after going gluten-free, but a few months later they got worse, REALLY worse.... but I also found out I develop cysts in my ovaries. I have had some wierd bleeding with the cysts as well, but also other colored discharge...which i wont get into :lol: But with the larger cysts my period comes late....its like my PMS last for a month before I actually get my period. My bleeding is differant everytime. It usually starts off light like you and then isheavy for two days...sometimes disapears and then comes back light and then somewhat heavy again....kinda annoying. Your gyno will prob. have you get an ultrasound. I've been having to go in every few months tomonitor my cysts...blah

ohsotired Enthusiast

Not much to report back after today's appt.....although I have to say I like this new doctor. She spent close to an hour with me, just talking about different things (my recent switch to gluten free, family history, etc) and answering questions I had. We didn't do an exam today, which irked me a little, since I did pay a co-pay. But that's the modern health care system I guess. <_<

I have an appointment in two weeks for an annual exam, a biopsy, and an ultrasound. I'll be heading to the lab this week to have some blood drawn for what seems like a ton of tests. And she's referred me to an endocrinologist, just in case. (I'd already been referred to one, but hadn't made an appt yet.)

I asked her if she thought it possible that this could be a miscarriage, and she said she thought it more likely that it's something like polyps, cysts or fibroids, based on my description of how this period has been. She brought up a number of other things as well, after I described some of my history and my family history, and there are a bunch of things she'll be looking for.

So, long story short, I have no answers yet, and my period still hasn't stopped yet.

24 days and counting. :huh::blink:

I'll keep y'all updated.

ilikepie Apprentice

I was have really irregular and different periods from before after going gluten free. I ended up spotting for something like two months, and it seemed there was no end. When I talked to my doctor about it, she thought it seemed incredibly abnormal, but she just had me take a bunch of ibuprofen to make the bleeding stop...not really sure if that's the best idea, but the bleeding did stop. My cycle has finally stopped being so weird, but seems really short to me. It comes around one week earlier every month.

We never officially figured out what the problem was...I just thought I'd throw it out there that you aren't alone with the abnormal cycle.

mommaofthree Newbie
Not much to report back after today's appt.....although I have to say I like this new doctor. She spent close to an hour with me, just talking about different things (my recent switch to gluten free, family history, etc) and answering questions I had. We didn't do an exam today, which irked me a little, since I did pay a co-pay. But that's the modern health care system I guess. <_<

I have an appointment in two weeks for an annual exam, a biopsy, and an ultrasound. I'll be heading to the lab this week to have some blood drawn for what seems like a ton of tests. And she's referred me to an endocrinologist, just in case. (I'd already been referred to one, but hadn't made an appt yet.)

I asked her if she thought it possible that this could be a miscarriage, and she said she thought it more likely that it's something like polyps, cysts or fibroids, based on my description of how this period has been. She brought up a number of other things as well, after I described some of my history and my family history, and there are a bunch of things she'll be looking for.

So, long story short, I have no answers yet, and my period still hasn't stopped yet.

24 days and counting. :huh::blink:

I'll keep y'all updated.

Hi,

I was having an issue with irregular periods and then they were heavey and they lasted longer than usual when they did come. I went to an OB and she ran a lot of tests on me and found that I had Premature Ovarian Failure that has thrown me into menapuase at 28. Thankfully I have 3 children so this is just annoying and not detrimental to any needs of wanting children in the future.

Ask your doctor to test your FSH levels to see if your are not producing enough progesterone. I am now currently looking for a birth control that is celiac friendly. So if anyone has any pointers on that I would love to hear them!!! Birth Control is what they perscribe for the deteriation of my ovaries. They believe that the attack on my ovaries are connected with an auto immune however it is unclear if it is connected with Celiacs, but I have read many forums where women find that they are infertile due to celiacs.

I hope this helps with your discussion with your doctor.

Krista

Live2BWell Enthusiast
I didn't want to hijack Ashley's thread, so I'm starting a new one. I'm experiencing some extreme weirdness with my cycle this month, and I'm wondering if any of you ladies can relate at all.

Since going gluten free, all the signs that say "Aunt Flo is coming" (irritability, breast tenderness, lower backache) seem to have gone away. Not necessarily a bad thing, but Aunt Flo has snuck up on me a couple of times, so I started keeping track on a calendar. She was visiting pretty regularly every 28-30 days.

I should have started my most recent cycle on or around January 5th. Aunt Flo finally came a callin' on January 17th - 12 days late. I was more than a little relieved to have her visit, as I was ready to go buy a pg test.

After a couple of days of nothing more than spotting (typically how my period starts out, and then progresses to 'feel like I'm bleeding to death' for about 4 days, then back to spotting til the 9th or 10th day, then done til the next month) - NOTHING. For a day and a half. Then more spotting for a couple of days. Then NOTHING for a couple more days. Then what seemed to be fairly normal bleeding, and slowing/stopping - or so I thought. Then one more day later, it's like a tidal wave almost. With more clotting than I've ever experienced.

(Sorry this is so graphic!)

And here I am - DAY 23 of bleeding (to include the few days of nothing early on).

This has been the strangest period I have EVER experienced, and I'm a little freaked out that something serious is going on. I'm feeling fatigued (moreso than usual) and have been a little light headed a few times over the past couple of days. I'm concerned I might be becoming anemic.

I've had no cramping or back aches, and only slight breast tenderness that started last weekend (2 weeks in). Historically, my periods have always been on the heavier side, and almost always last right around 10 days.

I have an appt with a gyn on Monday, but I just thought I'd see if anyone has had this happen - if maybe it could be related to my body still trying to regulate itself on this diet?

I'm praying that there's nothing seriously wrong, and that this isn't how it's going to be from here on out........

If you've read all this - thank you! I would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Good luck at the Gyn (( Hugs ))

I don't know if your problems could be related to going gluten free, I would think it could be the opposite (maybe you had the problems, but having the proper nutrition finally by going gluten free has now enabled them to reveal themselves?)

I have a friend who had endometriosis, and had a lot of problems with her cycle, including pain and very very long periods (15+days)

I just had a Transvaginal Ultrasound - not fun.. I am waiting for the results (I was feeling better for a while but some problems started coming back recently, so they are trying to figure out what is going on.)

Talk with you soon hon :)

gfmolly Contributor
Good luck at the Gyn (( Hugs ))

I don't know if your problems could be related to going gluten free, I would think it could be the opposite (maybe you had the problems, but having the proper nutrition finally by going gluten free has now enabled them to reveal themselves?)

I have a friend who had endometriosis, and had a lot of problems with her cycle, including pain and very very long periods (15+days)

I just had a Transvaginal Ultrasound - not fun.. I am waiting for the results (I was feeling better for a while but some problems started coming back recently, so they are trying to figure out what is going on.)

Talk with you soon hon :)

I have to agree with this post. I have endometriosis and it is alot like you have just described. I am on Nuvaring for three months on, 1 week off in order to control the symptoms. I did improve when I went gluten free, but the endometriosis still exists and can be quite painful to deal with. The only thing that keeps me regular is being on bc.

I hope you figure this prob out!

Molly

ohsotired Enthusiast

Just wanted to give an update on this........

My period ended up lasting 31 days from start to finish.

I went to my appt with the gyn today, and they ran a pregnancy test (neg), a vaginal ultrasound (all looked normal - no cysts or fibroids), a pap smear with hpv screen and a cervical biopsy (yeow!). So now I get to wait for the pathology report, which we should have by the end of the week.

Unfortunately, the ultrasound revealed that the lining of my uterus is already at 16mm thick, which makes it very likely that my period will be coming again very soon. Ugh.

The doc said that I was a good candidate for endometrial ablation provided the pathology all comes back ok.

Other than the longish, heavy periods I've had since the age of 14 or so, there's really been no other symptoms of endometriosis (from all I've read, anyway). And the doc never brought that up - but of course I forgot to ask. <_<

So, that's that for now. Hopefully I'll have some additional info by the end of the week.

Thanks for all your input and support!

• 2 weeks later...
ohsotired Enthusiast

Just another little update..........

All my test results came back normal, for which I am thankful!

I had 17 days between periods (last one ended on Feb 16, this one started yesterday, Mar 5 - making this a 48-ish day cycle).

So far this one has been closer to 'normal' for me, but closer to what 'normal' was before going gluten free. Extremely painful breasts for a full week prior to my period starting. Heavy flow beginning on day one, as opposed to day two or three. And pretty serious lower back cramps, with pretty bad fatigue.

I really really hope this one doesn't last as long as the last one.........this is NOT my idea of any kind of fun. <_<

Jestgar Rising Star

Heinous.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Hope it straightens itself out soon.

ohsotired Enthusiast

Another update.......

Day two of this period was pure hell. The worst I've ever had (or that I remember anyway). Cramps were so bad, I ended up taking 10 ibuprofens throughout the course of the day, and I rarely take them for anything anymore. Bleeding/clotting was really heavy, and I was convinced that my uterus was going to fall out. :( Day three wasn't so bad, and I think I'm almost done (knocking on wood).

However there's another twist to this. All the testing that I thought was normal, isn't.

What I got in writing was only the results of the biopsy and the pap, which were fine.

The blood work wasn't back yet.

The blood work I was sent for was to check for a clotting disorder. The doc recommended it based on some family history (sister had a clot a few years back) and she thought it better to be safe than sorry. So I get a phone call yesterday, and the nurse tells me "there were some abnormalities on your bloodwork, we're referring you to a hematologist to have it checked further." I'm seeing the hematologist on Monday afternoon.

I don't know if this is a big deal, and if I should be worried - but I am. :(

I have some other weird things going on too (namely, strange dizzy spells that hit several times a day but never last more than a few seconds) and I don't know if it's all connected somehow.

Maybe it's just random, isolated weirdness. Or maybe it really is the beginning of menopause.

*Sigh* I'm not real fond of being a female right now.

Jestgar Rising Star

The dizzy spells could be related to the bleeding. If you lose a lot of blood suddenly you can lower your blood pressure and your body can be slower to adapt to postural changes. S o every time you change from lying to sitting to standing you might not be changing your blood pressure quickly enough to compensate and you'll get a brief dizzy spell. Be a little careful for a few days so you don't pass out.

Open Original Shared Link

ohsotired Enthusiast

Thanks for posting that link, Jestgar.

These dizzy spells are kind of strange......they're not like the 'head rush' type where you feel lightheaded and see stars or darkening vision. They're very brief (3-10 seconds or so) and it's like my head is 'buzzing' (think of an off air TV station or radio station with the white noise, and add in a buzzing, and that's the best way to describe it - or like a hive of bees). My field of vision doesn't darken or get 'starry' but it almost feels like my eyes are moving quickly back and forth (horizontally - think rapid eye movement when someone is sleeping, but faster). Really loud noises can trigger it. Too quick change of direction or quick head turns can trigger it. And sometimes it just happens while I'm sitting and talking to someone. But it's not constant, or predictable.

I can't really link it to blood sugar levels/being hungry, although sometimes I do get episodes like that if I don't eat as soon as my body says I need to.

I'm going to try to keep track of when it happens over the next few days and see if I can narrow down any other triggers for it. And I'll be mentioning it to the hematologist on Monday, and my GI on Wednesday, and then my GP if necessary. (Geez......how many doctors do you have? :blink: )

ang1e0251 Contributor

Your iron levels could be wacky from bleeding so long also. I'll bet some of that testing checked for iron. I would call the nurse back and ask for copies of your tests. There are those on this sight who know what it all means.

I am on Nuvaring also but I'm on continuous. My periods have always been painful, long and heavy. I love the dr that came up with the idea of continuous BC. It's the only thing that keeps me sane.

ohsotired Enthusiast

ang1e0251 - I think you may be on to something in regards to the iron levels - I just realized that I've been eating ice constantly for the last several weeks. I realized it as I was sitting here, you guessed it, eating ice! I know that is believed by some to be a symptom of an iron deficiency.....

Not sure if I'll run by there tomorrow or just wait til Monday and ask the hematologist - I know he will have copies of this last round of blood work. I'll be sure to take all my results from all the testing I've had over the last 6 months so he can compare numbers if he wants to.

Will be back to update as soon as I know more.......

Thanks for all the input everyone!

ohsotired Enthusiast

Back from the hematologist, and wanted to update before I forgot anything he said. ;)

Homocysteine levels are "elevated, but not enough to be concerned with right now" (I haven't seen actual blood work results on paper yet) and ANA is "on the lower end of high" (haven't seen those results either). He doesn't think either of these are things that require immediate attention, but that should be retested in six months.

Not sure what to make of this information. On one hand I'm a little concerned about waiting 6 months to re-test and then go looking for additional issues if my numbers are still high. On the other hand, I don't know which doctor to express these concerns to (GP, GI, OB/GYN, or other?).

I don't know if any of this is related to Celiac or the female issues I was/am having.....

I think I'm a little overwhelmed at trying to figure out what else my body is trying to tell me. :(

Thoughts?

disneyfan Apprentice
Back from the hematologist, and wanted to update before I forgot anything he said. ;)

Homocysteine levels are "elevated, but not enough to be concerned with right now" (I haven't seen actual blood work results on paper yet) and ANA is "on the lower end of high" (haven't seen those results either). He doesn't think either of these are things that require immediate attention, but that should be retested in six months.

Not sure what to make of this information. On one hand I'm a little concerned about waiting 6 months to re-test and then go looking for additional issues if my numbers are still high. On the other hand, I don't know which doctor to express these concerns to (GP, GI, OB/GYN, or other?).

I don't know if any of this is related to Celiac or the female issues I was/am having.....

I think I'm a little overwhelmed at trying to figure out what else my body is trying to tell me. :(

Thoughts?

Here is a good article about homocysteine levels. After reading your post, I had several thoughts for you. Depending on your age, it could be the beginning of menopause.

In all the testing that was done, did anyone check your thyroid levels? The first sign that my thyroid is going hypo (low) is my monthly cycle becoming very heavy.

Also, have your iron levels (ferritin) been checked? Before I figured out the celiac connection, I was very anemic for years. Once my iron levels stabilized, everything else seemed to stabilize. It made a huge difference.

Also, according to this article, you may be lacking in B vitamins and folic acid. Are you taking a good multivitamin? I hope some of this info helps. I don't think I would wait 6 more months to be rechecked. I would find a doctor that could help me much sooner. If you are anemic, that is too long to wait. Hope you get some answers.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived