This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ask: What Does Everyone Use To Keep Track Of Good gluten-free Options At Restaurants?

BKSenior

BKSenior Newbie

Hey guys, my name is Brandon and I am new here.  I have recently been MUCH more cognizant of gluten to help my digestive process.  I became so interested in simplifying avoiding it that I started building tools to help me keep track of restaurants (my backgrounds in software) with good choices.  

I am curious what you all use to help with this? It seems like there are a ton of choices out there. Anything that is really good or really bad?

Looking forward to hearing,

Brandon

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darissa Contributor

I would be interested in this also! I'm not good at keeping things organized! Can't wait for some helpful ideas!

bartfull Rising Star

I go to findmeglutenfree.com.

GlutenStinks15 Explorer

Yes, findmeglutenfree.com, and there is an app for your cell phone also.

plumbago Experienced

I keep a running Word document going, with notes, about gluten-free restaurants I've been to and/or know about. Oh, and of course, the restaurant itself is not gluten-free, there are supposedly just gluten-free options at them. 

If you are talking about discovering what else is out there that I don't know about, then I usually do a google search or find out from the local Yahoo list for Celiacs.

love2travel Mentor

I cannot fathom having options, let alone enough to track! The nearest safe place for me to eat is 300 miles away. Thank goodness I am so passionate about cooking!

Shelby-Alison Newbie

The FindMeGlutenFree app is definitely my favorite! It also has reviews from others on their success with the certain food or restaurant. Very helpful.    

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
LauraTX Rising Star

I do what plumbago does, but I keep a running document as a saved draft in my email account, the top half I have to send to people who want to meet up for a meal and I email it to them with options, neighborhoods, fast food/sit down etc. I have on there a short paragraph like "just because it says gluten-free doesn't mean it is safe, CC blah blah"  The bottom half is my notations like what I can eat and such.  I will probably need to put it in a word file soon, it is getting bigger as I become more comfortable eating out.

The apps mentioned and even review sites help sometimes.  If you are on a webpage with a ton of reviews you can hit Ctrl+F and type in gluten, see if any good/bad reviews specifically mentioning that are on there.  If you can get a hold of another Celiac who lives in your area this is the best way to get fast info on where they eat, and start there.

Archived