This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

blondiedar052

blondiedar052 Newbie

I am new to all of this.  i have been a vegan since 68 and my blood counts are always good with the exception of low vit. d which I supplement. I now have found out that I have Celiac disease.  I have been sticking to a strict gluten-free diet for about 3 weeks now and am dizzy, weak and nauseous.  I saw a dietician today and was hoping to get a menu but didn't.  When i look on line for a vegan, gluten-free menu plan that doesn't require lots of prep time and expense (I am disabled and on a budget, aren't we all?  :) ) it seems as if you have to either pay for the menus by joining a club or they are recipes that take lots of ingredients.  Does anyone know of an easier way that I could go about this?  IE How to convert my recipes, and where can i find a decent loaf of bread or a bread recipe that is vegan and gluten-free? Thanks and God bless!   :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Have you tried googling (or whatever search engine you use) "gluten free egg free"  Or "gluten free vegan"?  I know there are a lot of dairy and egg free gluten-free recipes out there.  Not sure about meal plans.  You might have to do that yourself.

The good thing is that these  are naturally gluten-free- beans, rice, millet, buckwheat, nuts, seeds, veggies, fruits are all gluten-free. 

You can make things ahead.  Make a big batch of rice and set aside or freeze for another meal.  Find fresh sweet corn cheap?  freeze it or cook it and freeze it for later.  Use a slow cooker to make bean based veggie soups.  Eat as is or put over rice or add rice or corn noodles at the end.  The rice noodles used for Asian cooking can be cheap.  Just read the ingredients - some have wheat in them.  Salsa, rice, corn, bell peppers, zucchini, a can of fire-roasted tomatoes are yummy - I like the left-overs even better.

mommida Enthusiast

I suggest just buying a gluten free flour blend to modify the recipes you already have. 

My favorite cookbook for baking is The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook How to Bake without Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Peanuts, Tree nuts, and Sesame by Cybele Pascal.  She has a flour blend recipe.  The flour blend works great, but sometimes I can't find all the flour or starches for the blend without spending a fortune.  So sometimes the premade flour blends can be cheaper.

Enjoy Life and Namaste make SOME products that might work for you.  Always read the label. 

VeggieGal Contributor

I've been a veggie for over 30 yrs now and when I was dx with celiac 9 months ago I felt so daunted by the idea there was something else I couldnt eat. In actual fact being a veggie has probably helped me because after 30 years I'm used to scrutinising labels lol. There's loads of free websites like www.theglutenfreevegan.com but I tend to do what Karen says and use a slow cooker and make big batches and freeze. I've never been a confident cook but now I'm learning! I buy allsorts of veggies, make soups, curries, chinese and just different stock/sauces and then have potatoes, rice, quinoa etc to go with it. I also do lots of healthy smoothies.

I suppose I'm vegan myself now as since going gluten free I've discovered intolerances to dairy and eggs.

I'm sure I've seen a vegan bread recipe on here somewhere so it maybe worth you doing a search but I will have a look too.

What kind of foods do you normally like to eat ?

Have a look at the newbie101 thread, ask loads of questions ....welcome! :)

Ms.Lisa Newbie

I am new to all of this.  i have been a vegan since 68 and my blood counts are always good with the exception of low vit. d which I supplement. I now have found out that I have Celiac disease.  I have been sticking to a strict gluten-free diet for about 3 weeks now and am dizzy, weak and nauseous.  I saw a dietician today and was hoping to get a menu but didn't.  When i look on line for a vegan, gluten-free menu plan that doesn't require lots of prep time and expense (I am disabled and on a budget, aren't we all?  :) ) it seems as if you have to either pay for the menus by joining a club or they are recipes that take lots of ingredients.  Does anyone know of an easier way that I could go about this?  IE How to convert my recipes, and where can i find a decent loaf of bread or a bread recipe that is vegan and gluten-free? Thanks and God bless!   :D

I am gluten-free vegetarian.  Open Original Shared Link  I bake 5 potatoes then put them in the refrigerator, each day I slice one potato into chip size, spray with Kelapo (coconut oil spray) add salt & toast each side & it makes perfect chips for the day & it's cheap:) I have lots of inexpensive ideas:) Hope this helps   

kareng Grand Master

I am gluten-free vegetarian.  Open Original Shared Link  I bake 5 potatoes then put them in the refrigerator, each day I slice one potato into chip size, spray with Kelapo (coconut oil spray) add salt & toast each side & it makes perfect chips for the day & it's cheap:) I have lots of inexpensive ideas:) Hope this helps

Do you cook the potato until its as soft as you would to eat a baked potato? Does it hold together well enough?

Ms.Lisa Newbie

Do you cook the potato until its as soft as you would to eat a baked potato? Does it hold together well enough?

I bake the potatoes in the oven till its soft inside & crispy outside. Refrigerate overnight makes it easy to slice. Taste really good!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived